The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 407  Next
Audition song thread? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

So, as I mentioned earlier, Hair auditions. Do you think "There's a Fine Fine Line" would be okay? I'm trying to think of songs that I can sing in my head voice..because I chest voice is pretty weak.

No. Hair is a ROCK musical. Think 60s era ROCK.

Taking the fun out of Mnet - Priceless

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:30 pm

So, as I mentioned earlier, Hair auditions. Do you think "There's a Fine Fine Line" would be okay? I'm trying to think of songs that I can sing in my head voice..because I chest voice is pretty weak.

"Fine Fine Line" is really not a head voice song - it should all be sung in chest voice. It spends most of the first two verses hanging around middle C. Them's not notes to sing in head voice.

"Hair" is known as a rock musical but I think it's on the folk-rock border a lot of the time, especially for songs like "Good Morning Starshine" and "Easy To Be Hard".

Am drawing a bit of a blank at the moment and all the people who sang the right kind of songs that I can think of seem to be altos! Will think a bit more and try to get back to you later. If there are any Carly Simon songs that aren't too low for you, those would be good.

JP

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:52 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I have a question, would you consider "I enjoy being a girl" from Flower Drum Song to be an overused audition piece?

Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:57 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

yes. if your between the ages of 6-13. No if your older teen and adult because the song is very easy and shows off a whole range of five notes.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:44 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I have a question, is it ok when asked to sing a short part of a peice to do a peice that is actually out of your range in the part you arnt singing. We might do a rock opera at my school sometime soon (Tommy maybe), and I can sing most of Heaven on their Minds, except for the C in the improv section, and it's deffinatly not a song meant for high baritones. The thing is, I figure if I sing the beginning, which goes to my highest notes, I could get a good part, but I'm afraid if I sing a tenor song as a high baritone, and actually pull it off really well, she might assume I can hit the high C and cast me in a role that could destroy my voice. Usually they check your range after you audition if they are concidering you for a part, but they dont bother if you show you can go high or low enough, for the part they think you might have, in your audition song. Is it risky to do this? And is it bad practice in general to sing a song which is out of your range and just not sing the part that tis out of your range?

~The Lone Wanderer

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:39 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I think you'll be fine if you actually don't hit the C.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
What's the rule on using songs that come from either movie-musicals (ie: Moulin Rouge) or disney movies? Are they okay to use, or should I stay away from them?

And why is Frank Wildhorn not a good idea? Is it just because his stuff is new?

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

What's the rule on using songs that come from either movie-musicals (ie: Moulin Rouge) or disney movies? Are they okay to use, or should I stay away from them?

And why is Frank Wildhorn not a good idea? Is it just because his stuff is new?

From my view the readon one would stay away from Moulin Rouge is not because it is a musical but because it was popular so recently. Same with many other disney songs. If its an old enough song maybe you could pull it off, but most disney songs are still popular with some groups (people were watching the lion king today at school...someone knew all the words to that song about being a mighty king), and most of the movie musicals are recent. I think in a good 10 years or so it'll be ok to use stuff from Moulin Rouge as an audition song, but to do so now would be like doing anything else that was very recently popular. I love the movie quite a bit, but I know little about it as far as where the songs are from. Just from the songs that I had heard before, arn't most of the songs taken from other places? I know quite a few were, dunno if all were from other places. If so, you might also want to concider that you would basically be doing that song, just because it was put into a movie/musical doesnt prevent the song coming from where it does (though I think singing smells like teen spirit would be fun for an audition...scept there were only like 10 seconds of that in the movie).

~The Lone Wanderer

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:22 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I need a soprano song, (for Bye Bye Birdie aud.) preferably not 'In My Own Little Corner', or 'I Enjoy Being A Girl' or 'I am 16..going on 17'. As those will probably be used.

Thanks!

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I need a soprano song, (for Bye Bye Birdie aud.) preferably not 'In My Own Little Corner', or 'I Enjoy Being A Girl' or 'I am 16..going on 17'. As those will probably be used.

Maybe look at "This Is All Very New To Me" from Plain and Fancy; it's in a similar spirit to those other songs, but I don't think it's particularly done. And it's a lovely little soprano song.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:58 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
http://42ndstmoon.blogspot.com/2005/03/ ... -greg.html

Seriously (although actually, I wasn’t joking!) for the most part, I am bothered when people are totally unprepared to audition for what we do. By that I mean, as examples, "Why God Why" and most Lloyd Webber are wrong for auditioning for us anyway -- it amazes me the number of people who don't have one good ballad and comedy or uptempo number from the Golden Age songwriters (Rodgers & Hart/Hammerstein, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jule Styne, Kander & Ebb, Kern, etc). It's not just for us -- if you're going out for a production of THE SOUND OF MUSIC -- and let's face it, every year hundreds of actors are going out for THE SOUND OF MUSIC somewhere -- you don't go in with "Why God Why" or "What's New, Buenos Aires?" Except that a lot of actors do. I took a great musical theatre audition class 20 ...uh, jeez, 25 years ago! -- taught by a Broadway performer named Connie Danese, and she was a terrific teacher.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Hi there. I'm looking for a good audition song for Gertrude McFuzz from "Seussical". I'm a soprano, but I can belt pretty high. I'm not sure if I should go with something belty or something a bit more.... well, not belty. The people in this particular troupe have always heard me do something in a character voice, none of them has ever heard my real voice in about a year, and it's changed a lot, I've gottena lot more operatic and legit. My last role with them was Eulalie MacKecknie Shinn, they also previously cast me as Cinderella's understudy (the year before) but I had to drop out due to a wedding in my family.

Any suggestions?

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 407  Next