Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Post best Sally
..and why?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Whoa, Judi Dench played sally? I had no idea, I knew she played Fräulein Schneider. I said Natasha Richardson because i did really like the 1998 revival.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 pm

She played Sally in the original London production.

She neverp layed Schnieder..she did a studio recording.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:28 am
Profile WWW

I'm seeing Samantha Barks as Sally in September.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Judi Dench. Do I really need to state why? ;) I never saw her to be fair, just heard the cast recording. Minnelli was ultimately miscast as good as she was in the part but ultimately it's the direction and choreography that made that film. And the songs of course. Minnelli is a great talent but - she is not Sally Bowles according to the script.

I can't see Sam in the role at all. Too young, too good a singer (Sally is not supposed to be a very good singer, that's the whole point, that's why she is performing in a 3rd rate night club), not a good enough actress, too commercial and "current" looking (Sally has to look 1940's), too pretty (Sally is not supposed to look like a catalogue model and be fresh faced and sweet looking). And not experienced enough as a performer generally. Another "name" casting.... :roll: That said I do think Sam is a talented girl and deserves to do well but Sally Bowles - she is not.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:24 am
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I can't see Sam in the role at all. Too young, too good a singer (Sally is not supposed to be a very good singer, that's the whole point, that's why she is performing in a 3rd rate night club), not a good enough actress, too commercial and "current" looking (Sally has to look 1940's), too pretty (Sally is not supposed to look like a catalogue model and be fresh faced and sweet looking). And not experienced enough as a performer generally. Another "name" casting.... :roll: That said I do think Sam is a talented girl and deserves to do well but Sally Bowles - she is not.

I'm sorry, but how can you say Sam's not a 'good enough actress'?? For one thing, if she wasn't a good enough actress she would never have been offered the part in the first place...and I don't see how people can say she's got lack of experience either, she's been acting since she was 4 but in big productions since she was 14. Ok, so they weren't proper professional West End sort of shows, but it still provided her with a lot of experience and training. Plus, my last point for the moment, if she wasn't that good, she would never have got into Arts Educational School in London either, only the best get a place there.

She did amazingly well as Sally, ok, she's not what you would have originally thought of as Sally stereotypically, but she bought something new and fresh to the show and the character.

And for saying she was 'too young', Sally was originally written as a 19 (I think) year old, so when Sam was in the show, she was only 1 year off (for most of it, because she started when she was 17)

Although saying all that, most of your post was actually complimenting Sam 'too good a singer', 'too pretty'...although your comment about 'not experienced enough as a performer' is wrong!! She's been performing since she was 3! How can 16 years of experience not be enough??

Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

by the way, can you add Samantha Barks to this poll please?? She deserves to be there too!!

Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Post Re: best Sally
Team Liza REPRESENT!
(Although I forgot about Natasha Richardson until right after I voted. :oops: )

Either way, I consider them to be the two best. Liza's one of my favorite Best Actress wins the Oscars have ever given us, but Natasha's Sally is so, SO brilliant.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:02 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Judy Garland, MGM Movie Musicals, Belting :D
I know this is old, but what about Tina Arena, she played Sally in the Melbourne production in Australia, my Dad saw it and said she was suprisingly quite good :)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

From what I've seen, can I nominate Pia Douwes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4i_OvY8wg

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:29 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart, ALW, Jerry Herman
Main Role: Fan
I've only heard Judi Dench on the studio recording but judging by that, she was superb in the role.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Liza as Sally in CABARET
JIJane wrote:
Minnelli was ultimately miscast as good as she was in the part but ultimately it's the direction and choreography that made that film. And the songs of course. Minnelli is a great talent but - she is not Sally Bowles according to the script.

Not quite. Liza Minnelli is not Sally Bowles according to the script of the stage show. Something that I am always surprised that people - including Harold Prince - do not get that the Sally Bowles of the film and the Sally Bowles of the show are not the same character. Sally Bowles in the stage show performs at the Kit Kat Klub because she has to; Sally Bowles in the film performs at the Kit Kat Klub because she chooses to. If she is talented enough to be elsewhere, as Minnelli's Sally is, then why isn't she? Because that is where she chooses to be in spite of her talent. For that reason, Sally in the film is competely self-destructive in a way that Sally in the stage show is not (quite). Is either take better? One might argue the point, but does it really matter when each is so perfectly suited to the version of the narrative in which they appear.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next