Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Cabaret.. At a Highschool? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Cabaret.. At a Highschool?
dramadeyswine wrote:
Quite honestly I do not believe that a highschool can put on such a musical. You may hate me for saying this, but I don't care... it may be the content of the play. It's depth and perception is something that a highschool actor cannot quite grasp. As much as I would love to do this musical now as a highschool student, I know that it can't be pulled off because of the level of acting highschool students are at. There are just some shows that Highschools can't do. For instance:

Phantom of the Opera
Avenue Q
Les Miserables (Not Highschool Edition).
Rent
The Lion King

Those are just a few, but I don't know if you quite grasp my point or not. It's hard for me to express it in writing. But I tried.

:)

Age does not always define one's level of understanding, nor does it always define one's ability. I agree that there are some shows that high schools shouldn't do, but I don't think Cabaret should be completely undone by high schools.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:06 pm
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

last november i saw a high school production of cabaret, and it was one of the best school or community shows i have ever seen!

my mother is usually quite critical of school shows, and she even said it was the best school production she's ever seen.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well I see no reason why they shouldn't do it, but my current drama coach was fired from performing arts school for putting it on. *Tsk Tsk....to the ones who fired him, not him!*

On the other hand, though, a local community theater has decided to put on Cabaret, and I auditioned. Understand, I'm only almost 16, so the director didn't think he was going to use me, but after my audition he really wanted to. He says I could bring a lot to the production, and it would add effect because, back the, there wasn't a drinking age or anything. It would show what times were like.

I know a fair amount about the musical- I know the story and characters- but I haven't seen it, and my parents hadn't either. My dad asked some relatives he's staying with right now 300 miles away and they were appalled, saying it's nasty and the people putting it on very well may be nasty. I disagree- as has been said here, it's just a form of art, and as for the people, they all have incredibly good references. Also, the director spoke to my mom and discussed it and told her that allowances would be made for my age- more conservative, etc.

So how can I show my dad how wonderful Cabaret is and how safe it will really be? Any ideas?[/code]

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:47 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

As a high school theatre teacher I have already done Cabaret (revival version) complete with same sex kissing and nothing cut. I would not do it all the time or with every class of students. I had the right mix of students with the talent and maturity to handle the show. We got nothing but praise for the show.

I have learned never to under estimate what high school kids can do. All they need is a challenge.

I get tired of the old argument that high school students should not perform certain plays because they lack the skill, experience or maturity. I doubt many high school athletes have the skill, experience or maturity of the Boston Celtics, but I never hear the cry to shut down high school basketball or sports because the students can't perform at the professional level.

Get to know your student's strengths and play to the strengths. Intelligent people love to be stretched and I believe I have intelligent students.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ahaha my school could NEVER put on Cabaret. They was upset when we put on Working because of the one scene with the prostitute (and we censored the monologue and changed around some words.)

Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:29 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I get tired of the old argument that high school students should not perform certain plays because they lack the skill, experience or maturity. I doubt many high school athletes have the skill, experience or maturity of the Boston Celtics, but I never hear the cry to shut down high school basketball or sports because the students can't perform at the professional level.

Dear Tom,

You are my hero. If I was still in high school, I would send you a list of teachers to say that to.

Love,
Jaymie

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

As a high school theatre teacher I have already done Cabaret (revival version) complete with same sex kissing and nothing cut. I would not do it all the time or with every class of students. I had the right mix of students with the talent and maturity to handle the show. We got nothing but praise for the show.

I have learned never to under estimate what high school kids can do. All they need is a challenge.

Get to know your student's strengths and play to the strengths. Intelligent people love to be stretched and I believe I have intelligent students.

I couldn't agree more, Tom! This is exactly what my former director and I have always said about our students.

We did Cabaret in 2004 (and Chicago in 2007). Our director wanted to do Cabaret for nearly twenty years, but felt he hadn't found the right mix of students with the skills to cope with the material. Sometimes he would have a potential Sally, but no Emcee, and vice versa. Finally a wonderful cast presented itself, and boy, did they rise to the challenge.

We work in a Catholic college and have sometimes anticipated trouble with some of our show choices, but even conservative audiences can be encouraged to embrace the theatre when they understand the broader theme (e.g. Chicago's criticism of the vacuous lust for "celebrity" and the stupid things desperate people will do for fifteen minutes of fame).

Admittedly we have made some cuts at times (usually for excessive language or gratuitous sex), but we refuse to cut anything if it would unduly compromise the integrity of the storyline. Sally's abortion appeared in our version of Cabaret despite the predictable responses of some of our Catholic audience (and our director's own personal hatred of the practice).

It helps to include a carefully crafted director's message in the program and to have an understanding and supportive principal.

:wink:

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:50 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Musician
The school that I would be going to if I lived on the other side of the road (My school is actually further away than this one - stupid zoning) are putting on Cabaret; and one of my friends who plays Guitar, Bass, Keys, Drums, Clarinet and such (I know several people who are good at lots of instruments - myself included) and he's playing Piano for said school's performance of Cabaret, which premiers on Tuesday coming, and I'll be there, hopefully.

Fri May 15, 2009 12:12 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Cabaret.. At a Highschool?
Just a little story, since it touched a memory for me.

When I was a senior in high school (1989), I decided to do the spring musical because I knew a number of the drama students and it just seemed like a fun thing to do. So I joined choir for a semester so the drama/choir teacher would know who I was, and then went out for My Fair Lady, ending up as 3rd Cockney From The Left. And because I had a passable British accent in various types, got a half dozen lines over the course of rehearsal. I never planned on doing more shows, though I had a good time. I did recognize in there that I was a decent singer though, so when I went off to college, I started in the choral program, started studying with the choral director, and worked my way up through the groups.

Three years later, I got a call from that HS teacher. "Hey, I hear you're still in the area, and you're still singing. I'm calling to see if you can do us a huge favor?" The alma mater was putting on Cabaret and had lost two Schultzes -- the first to grades, and the second to illness, and the show was in a week and a half. They were scrambling (obviously, if I became the go-to guy). Though the part was nowhere near my range (I was a young bass) and I had basically zero acting experience, it sounded like something interesting to do, so I did. And it was a wonderful experience. The show went off well, and I was glad I did it ... even though I didn't get back on stage for over 15 years.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3