Wicked The Movie. 2010 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Wicked The Movie. 2010
random_person wrote:
elphieglinda16 wrote:
As long as the movie turns out decent enough, and the music and acting are great, who cares who is eventually chosen for the cast?

I would presume one would care about who is chosen for the cast for the purpose of the movie turning out decent enough. :P

Only so many people are going to think that is clever of you. Just sayin'. :-"

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
Wow I can't wait! I looked it up and I guess it's coming out in 2014. Sorry if some1 already said that. :)

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:35 pm

Current Obsession: Writing
Foreverchang wrote:
Wow I can't wait! I looked it up and I guess it's coming out in 2014. Sorry if some1 already said that. :)

:? Where did you hear this, Foreverchang?

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I actually can't wait for this!! I love Wicked.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
I am not sure if I want an movie adoption of Wicked since thoose generally tends to be weak copies of the live show, with a few exeptions. But I would wait with the horrays till the adoption is confirmed, I mean this thread has the year 2010 in the title and we still havent heard any more about making a movie off it, not what I know anyway.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Will it be a musical adaption, with the songs in it?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:28 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Stephen Daldry, known in the theatre community for his direction of the musical Billy Elliot, is now confirmed to direct.

http://www.hypable.com/2012/07/12/billy-elliot-director-will-helm-wicked-movie/

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Oh God, just what a Wicked movie needed: a hack director. :roll:

Billy Elliot the Musical is kind of a wonderful hot mess, but the film is a minor masterpiece. Like, the film is superb, I swear. Then he made The Hours, which is pretty okay for the most part. It's a bit self-important and heavy handed, but it's not bad. The Reader is a glacial mess, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a monstrosity.
So hurray, Wicked has an awful director attached to it.

That said, this will get numerous Oscar nominations, simply because of St. Daldry. :roll: Ugh.

Brace yourself, Wicked fans.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Wow, you really have a problem with Stephen Daldry, Elliott.

I was very happy with this news. I thought the Billy Elliot film was great and the musical even better. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was nothing brilliant, or deserving of its Best Picture nomination, but there were certainly parts of the film I enjoyed. With Wicked being such a faulty musical, and Daldry, in my opinion, being a gifted director, I will not be surprised at all if Wicked is the rare musical exception where the movie adaptation surpasses the original source material.

And Elliott, I doubt it will get any Oscar nominations beyond the technical categories. Unless Daldry dramatically changes the tone of the show, the Academy will not take it seriously enough. Overall it failed at the 2004 Tony Awards in the first place, and there's a reason for that.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:35 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Well, Daldry's directed a grand total of four films. For three of them, he personally received a Best Director nominations (Billy Elliot, The Hours, The Reader). Three of the four also received Best Picture nominations (The Hours, The Reader, Extremely Awful and Incredibly Irritating). The Academy goes crazy for him, especially considering Billy Elliot was a terribly close #6/#7 for a BP nom in 2000, and The Reader snuck in to Best Picture OVER The Dark Knight, WALL-E, and The Wrestler. Even with EL&IC getting basically universally panned, it snuck into Best Picture. If Wicked is even tepidly received (I'm talking 60's on Rotten Tomatoes), it's getting, at best, techs and Best Picture. Honestly, it might as well be a Best Picture nominee right now, while it's literally not even in pre-production. It would have to be a Nine-level catastrophe for it not to get nominated.

Wicked has the same things going for it that Les Mis has going for it this year. 1) Director the Academy loves; 2) musical just about everyone loves; 3) "respectable" source material (the original novel is very well regarded, and being able to connect to Oz going in is always a plus). Plus, the Academy loves their musicals. Every movie musical since Moulin Rouge, except for Rent, Phantom, Mamma Mia!, and The Producers, has gotten at least one major nomination (Moulin Rouge in Picture, Actress, etc., Chicago WINNING Picture, Supp. Actress, etc., Dreamgirls winning Supp. Actress, Sweeney Todd getting Actor, Nine getting Supp. Actress even while getting panned). Wicked's got a Picture nomination wrapped up, and if we get some good-looking starlet who's good at over-acting and can sing well to play Elphaba, you can bet it'll get AT LEAST one Best Actress nomination. And lord help us if some adorable respected character actor gets the Wizard, because there's a slam-dunk Supporting Actor nomination right there.

I dislike Daldry immensely, absolutely, lol. But when (if?) this finally gets made, the buzz will be overwhelming. Most popular musical in recent memory with a "respected" director? Throw in a potentially huge cast, and whoa, this'll be Les Mis all over again.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:57 pm

This is STRICTLY a rumor, but I heard from an inside source that Lea Michele recently had an audition for Elphaba.

The production team is now highly considering her.

Start panicking.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Obsessed with Sondheim. Always Sondheim.
I'm a tad concerned. Wicked really isn't my favourite musical, but I do love it nonetheless. I think it should be in safe hands with Daldry - both Billy Elliot incarnations were great.

The original Wicked novel was fabulous, so I think they'll have greater success basing the settings and imagery on the book, not the musical. Just my thoughts...

Previously: Mary Phagan in Parade, Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Little Red in Into the Woods, Annie in Annie

Hopefully: Fantine in Les Mis, Rose in Gypsy, Olive in Spelling Bee..

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33