The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
READ ME before you ask for audition help 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Location: cant tell...it's a seeeecretttt...most of you already know.
I looked through this thread and couldn't find anything about this, so if you already covered this, please tell me the page it was on so I can read it. Anyways, I was wondering how you should wear your hair at an audition. I do musicals at a theater that doesn't do headshots and all that stuff, so prety much they only see you how you look at auditions.

I'm trying to decide between three things:
1) Wearing my hair back like the person did in the original broadway version
(Example: like if you were trying out for Little Red in ITW, would you curl your hair?...Or if you were trying out for Amneris in Aida, would you pull it into a bun with little braids hanging down in the front?)

2)Wearing my hair down so they can see how long it is and what they would have to work with if they casted me (Yes, our costume lady does do our hair...)

3) Simply pulling it back in a pony tail to keep it out of the way.

If it hasn't been posted before, please give me input on what you'd do.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:52 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I looked through this thread and couldn't find anything about this, so if you already covered this, please tell me the page it was on so I can read it. Anyways, I was wondering how you should wear your hair at an audition. I do musicals at a theater that doesn't do headshots and all that stuff, so prety much they only see you how you look at auditions.

I'm trying to decide between three things:
1) Wearing my hair back like the person did in the original broadway version
(Example: like if you were trying out for Little Red in ITW, would you curl your hair?...Or if you were trying out for Amneris in Aida, would you pull it into a bun with little braids hanging down in the front?)

2)Wearing my hair down so they can see how long it is and what they would have to work with if they casted me (Yes, our costume lady does do our hair...)

3) Simply pulling it back in a pony tail to keep it out of the way.

If it hasn't been posted before, please give me input on what you'd do.

what MaryMag does:

similar to how I dress for an audition, I wear my hair fairly suggestive of the character I'm auditioning for.

HOWEVER, since the auds I go to require h/r's, I still have to look like my headshot, so I don't do too much. I don't curl my hair since my hair is straight in my headshot. Nor do I put it up (for the same reason.) The most I'll do is half up, which I think is a fairly good rule of thumb.

FURTHER, just like you don't want to wear a costume to your audition, don't go too far with your hair. At a Boyfriend audition a girl came in with finger waves. Not really necessary, in my humble opinion.

HOWEVER, if you're auditioning for people who've seen you a billion times and may not regularly see 100's of people at their auditions (for a smaller community theater maybe,) then I think you can have a little more liberty with your hair. They know you. They know what your hair naturally looks like. You can stretch a little further and show them more aspects of your appearance. FOR EXAMPLE: I had 2 days of callbacks at a company and I knew there were only 2 other girls at each callback. First day, I went looking very much like my headshot. Just plain ol me. Second day (next day,) since the director hopefully wouldn't easily forget who I was since he just saw me and since there were so few of us, I came with my hair curled and back and with dewey engenue makeup on.

SO, your first priority (at a larger audition) is just being remembered. So look like your headshot. The more sure you can be that you are EASILY going to be remembered, the more you can play with your hair and makeup. But never go overboard - be suggestive, not costume-y.

I rarely suggest hair all the way up. Half up is ideal for auditions I think cuz it keeps it out of your face (and blowing/brushing it out of your face while dancing or reading is really distracting) but it also shows whatcha got.

But again, this is all my opinion. Somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm misguided.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:54 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

thankyou

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Never show up for an audition in costume"- The guy who sang the duet with himself at his Jekyll and Hyde audition made this same mistake at the callbacks. It was really quite something. 8O :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Can I request a section on how to properly write a h/r cover letter?

I am convinced you were meant to be a gay man... you were just born a woman. _DCrowley

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
And if you disagree B-I-T-E-M-E.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Can I request a section on how to properly write a h/r cover letter?

Sheesh. I don't know! I'll do some research and put something up maybe. Or maybe Chev or Jazzy would be kind enough to field this question!

The best thing I've run across on the internet is how to write them if you're a classical singer. And it's QUITE a bit different! But take a look at it and see if you can garner something from it:
http://thebusinessofsinging.com/sr_faqyoungsingers/sr_faq_06.htm

Further, I guess it depends on what you are writing the h/r cover letter for. To just submit to companies you'd like to work with? To submit to possible agents/managers? To submit to schools/conservatories?

Here's some links about letters you'd submit to an agent:
http://www.vancouveractorsguide.com/gettingstarted/coverletter.shtml
http://www.jobbankusa.com/resumes/cover_letters_free_samples/examples_templates_formats/actor.html

In the middle of this page, there is a little bit about submitting a letter to a theater you want to audition for:
http://thespian.info/News/83763-Acting-Tip-Acting-Resumes,-Cover-Letters,-and-Headshots,-Oh-My.asp

This link is great, too!
http://www.actingbiz.com/articles/attention_casting_directors.php

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

GREAT LINK! For every Q, from practical acting tips to resume do's and donts.
http://www.actingbiz.com/articles/

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:11 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

amazing ear training website!

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Call me blonde, but I can't figure out if this is an open audition or not...Here is what it says:
AUDITION CALL

Call type:
Equity and non-equity

So do I need to make an appointment?

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~ I Corinthians 10:31

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

At a Little Shop audition about a year ago, a guy brought in a potted plant and sang "Grow For Me" to it (we had to sing a song from the show). It was kind of amusing to watch the director's face.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

At a Little Shop audition about a year ago, a guy brought in a potted plant and sang "Grow For Me" to it (we had to sing a song from the show). It was kind of amusing to watch the director's face.

Haha! Did the guy get in?

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~ I Corinthians 10:31

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just want to make sure Chevy's wisdom gets stuck in a stickied thread (originally in the 'overdone' thread):

Chevstriss wrote:
Not Dead Yet wrote:
Chevstriss wrote:
oh and FYI

while gender switching and type switching can be done w/ clever results, let's remember the union's position that "NON TRADITIONAL CASTING IS NOT A TWO WAY STREET".

in other words, white people should NOt audition w/ songs written specifically for AA performers. It happens, and it happens alot, and you will see the entire room of producers stiffen w/ disapproval.

yeah you might sing the sh*t out of it but you WON'T get passed the negative bias you've just set up for yourself.

In other words, caucasians, strike The Wiz, Dreamgirls, Color Purple, lots of Ragtime, Aida, etc out of your book.

Does this also apply to Hispanics?

If both your name and look are quite visibly Latin, you can get away w/ any trans-ethnic choice you want. The union is fine w/ minorities playing each other. It is just that they feel that white-bread actors have been advantaged in the business for years, and the pendulum is swung to the other 180 at the moment.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next