Musicals.Net
http://www.musicals.net/forums/

Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959
http://www.musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=83066
Page 2 of 3

Author:  Hans [ Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
I love how you skipped all the 80s musicals. Just lol.


Just a wild guess, but the reason may be that most of the musicals that were written from 1950 to 1959 aren't 80s musicals.

Author:  Cptn. Wazoo [ Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

Hans wrote:
Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
I love how you skipped all the 80s musicals. Just lol.


Just a wild guess, but the reason may be that most of the musicals that were written from 1950 to 1959 aren't 80s musicals.


I meant in the series of these topics he's made. Guess I should've been more specific.

Author:  Mungojerrie_rt [ Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

The 80s shows are there. Buried amongst the other topics.

Author:  Cptn. Wazoo [ Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
The 80s shows are there. Buried amongst the other topics.


Well then okay. :crazy:

Author:  maureendaqueen [ Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

I voted for West Side Story, but I almost chose Gypsy. Both musicals are Sondheim classics, and I think the only reason I voted for West Side Story rather than Gypsy was because of the amazing choreography that goes along with "America" in West Side Story.

Author:  Disney-Bway27 [ Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

The fact that West Side Story is WINNING this poll is kind of baffling to me. It's a fun show, and easily one of the best scores ever put to stage (I'd go so far to say that Bernstein's music is the best music to be put on stage until Follies, give or take a certain Fiddler on the Roof, honestly), and the dancing is unbeatable, but for real guys, the lyrics (even Sondheim dislikes them) and that damn book are just so, so, so mediocre.

My vote goes to Gypsy. It puts basically all of these to shame.

My rankings!
01. Gypsy
02. My Fair Lady
03. The Music Man
04. Guys and Dolls
05. The King and I
06. The Pajama Game
07. West Side Story
08. Damn Yankees
09. Li'l Abner
10. The Sound of Music

Kismet and Wonderful Town should both be on here by the way.

Author:  Salome [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

how can anyone vote anything but My Fair Lady?? WSS is dated..and Gypsy is a close 2nd to My Fair Lady..but My Fair Lady is the standard to judge all by.

Author:  Apples2for10 [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

Disney-Bway27 wrote:
but for real guys, the lyrics (even Sondheim dislikes them) and that damn book are just so, so, so mediocre.


Well, your precious Sondheim also dislikes Richard Rodgers and Noel Coward, so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Author:  Disney-Bway27 [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

Ooh, do I detect some bitterness? :P Him not liking Rodgers or Coward is different from his not liking his own work. And for the record, I disagree with my precious Sondheim on those particular opinions (as well as his opinion on My Fair Lady).

Author:  Apples2for10 [ Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

Disney-Bway27 wrote:
Ooh, do I detect some bitterness? :P Him not liking Rodgers or Coward is different from his not liking his own work. And for the record, I disagree with my precious Sondheim on those particular opinions (as well as his opinion on My Fair Lady).


Now that you mention it, I tend to agree with him about MFL.

Author:  maureendaqueen [ Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

After pinserting my decision to choose West Side Story as the best musical from 1950-1959, I think I've decided to change my mind and choose Gypsy. West Side Story is a great musical, but I think Gypsy has a better story line and a better score.

Author:  Toru771 [ Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959

If I could take this poll again (or use a time machine to talk some sense into my two-years-younger self), I'd vote for Gypsy or My Fair Lady rather than West Side Story. I do still enjoy WSS, but yeah... some of the lyrics are rather painful and definitely not Sondheim's best work, though there are some great lines/songs in it as well. (I don't fault him, really -- he was young and still learning, and later said he thought some of his WSS lyrics were pretty bad.) Gypsy and MFL have more interesting stories and characters to me. Then again, I tend to find Romeo and Juliet productions and adaptations pretty overdone in general. Now if someone were to write a (good) modern musical adaptation of Othello or the Scottish play, I'd so be there. :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/