The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Newsies: The Broadway Musical 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Post Newsies: The Broadway Musical
Any news on how well the show is progressing?

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:06 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
It is. Alan Menken has a news article talking about him starting workshops for Newsies on his website. I haven't heard anything about it since then. I am a BIG newsies fan, so.......... :D Yeah you can imagine my elation at finding out that this show was put in development.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:06 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
I need to see Newsies again ... and AHH this would be exciting!

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:34 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post NEWSIES on Stage
superwickedfan33 wrote:
It is. Alan Menken has a news article talking about him starting workshops for Newsies on his website. I haven't heard anything about it since then. I am a BIG Newsies fan, so... you can imagine my elation at finding out that this show was put in development.

Where is this website and article? All I can find is an unofficial site with a link to an article that says:

Seth Rudetsky wrote:
Also, for you fans of that early 90's musical film, there may soon be a stage version of Newsies! How cool would that be!

That was in 2008 and there is no mention of workshops or anything like that. I would like to see the article you read, so could you please provide a link? I like Newsies just as much as the next guy, but I am not sure to what degree a stage version of the film is a priority for Alan Menken or Disney.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical
Main Role: Performer
I'm a big fan of NEWSIES, but I would expect this to flop and then some, as the movie itself didn't exactly do great business.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm a big fan of NEWSIES, but I would expect this to flop and then some, as the movie itself didn't exactly do great business.

Well, Dear World and Mack & Mabel flopped, but they still garnered great followings. Newsies is no different. The only problem I see with adapting Newsies is coming up with more female roles that would logistically fit into the story.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:41 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical
They could just put the female role, Christian Bale's love interest in the movie, in a larger capacity...and have her like, disguise herself as a boy to sell papers or some such nonsense.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:59 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Yeah, I imagine that they would expand Sarah's role (hopefully Les' too?) and probably add in a female Newsie or two, kind of like Anybodys in WSS.

Anyways, when it is finally adapted for stage, I can guarantee I'll be in line the first day to purchase tickets.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:11 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post NEWSIES on Stage
The Guard wrote:
I'm a big fan of Newsies, but I would expect this to flop and then some, as the movie itself didn't exactly do great business.

Apples2for10 wrote:
Well, Dear World and Mack and Mabel flopped, but they still garnered great followings. Newsies is no different.

But it is. This doesn't really work as an analogy. The only thing all three have in common is that they all have cult followings. Firstly, both of the former were stage productions and, secondly, neither of them developed such a great following that caused them to make the jump from stage to screen, which is a jump towards a mass medium rather than a less popular one. That alone does not make Newsies more viable as a stage property. What might make it viable is the kind of core audience that Newsies attracted when it was first released, one that has really actively demanded over more than a decade for a stage version to appear, many of whom seem to wanted to perform in it. However, that audience is mostly grown up now, so that is a minor hurdle for Disney, who is presumably hoping to make more money from licensing the shows to high schools than from a full scale production of the show. So the question is will the nostalgia held by the original fans of the film translate into the next generation? I hope so and I hope that the stage version works hard at refining the elements that were at fault in the film.

All of that aside, there was a reading of the new stage show on Friday and it seems from a number of online sources) that the show is being geared up for a Papermill production. The cast of the reading featured: Jay Armstrong Johnson (Jack), Jason Michael Snow (Davey), Matthew Gumley (Les), Meghann Fahy (Katherine), Shuler Hensley (Joseph Pulitzer), Liz Larsen (Medda), Tom Alan Robbins (Mr. Jacobi/Roosevelt), Marcus Neville (Snyder), Mark Price (Bunsen), Bill Nolte (Seitz) and Robert Creighton (Wiesel), Andrew Keenan-Bolger (Crutchie/Ensemble), Corey Mach (M. Delancey/Ensemble), Ben Thompson (O. Delancey/Ensemble), Bobby List (Finch/Ensemble), Robert Hager (Race/Ensemble), John Arthur Greene (Spot/Ensemble), Danny Calvert (Bill/George/Henry/Ensemble), Jordan Nichols (Albert/Darcy/Elmer/Ends), Dante Russo (Mush/Ensemble), Stuart Marland (Ensemble), Etai BenShlomo (Specs/Ensemble), Julie Foldesi (Ensemble) and Jenelle Lynn Randall (Ensemble).

Last edited by RainbowJude on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Post Re: Newsies: The Broadway Musical
Does anyone remember the lady in the opening "Carry the Banner", who sings about her son who has left her. I could see that as some woman character or subplot to explore. Eh, probably not, I just love that ladys voice.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Newsies: The Broadway Musical
Oh my Gosh!! Really? I am a huge Newsies fan! 10 year old Melanie was obsessed with the show. (History Check, Musical check, Newspapers check, Hot boys Check! Whats not to love!) I do agree they might need to expand the female parts. Sarah is not generally liked by the cult, but, hey. I had heard that they did orignally write a song for her called " What will become of the boy" In the early early early drafts of Newsies. There also is of course Medda. And yes, historically there were some girl Newsies. Some dressed up as boys, others, typically younger girls, helped their older brother sell papers.

Oh man I'm getting excited! And yes I love the voice of Patricks Mother "Patrick darling since you left me I am undone, mother loves you, God save my son!!!"

I think it would adapt to the stage quite nicly. But I don't think audiences would like it very much. The New York Times had an article on how although Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson is getting great critical reviews it's not doing well in ticket sales. History doesn't always sell. (Thats not always true. I.E. Les Mies. and many others) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/theat ... son&st=cse
Now I have it stuck in my head! darn!

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next