The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Rodgers' post Hammerstein shows 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Rodgers' post Hammerstein shows
What do you think of them?

Apart from Two By Two (should I get a recording of it, btw?), I have heard them, and think they are fascinating in a Do not attempt this at home sort of way...

I have heard No Strings several times, but I have trouble remembering it at all. I think it's sweet, but not very interresting. And I think the comedy numbers fall totally flat. Those beaver and money songs are hideous.

I do love DIHAW. I think it has a great score, and those lyrics are sensational (of course ;)).

Rex is a very strange beast. It seems like the songs are very heavy handed and static, but there are some impressive tunes, and the idea of the show is very intriguing (thoughawkwardly handled). That song about the time running is beautiful, though.

Now, I Remember Mama comes through as a pathetic last gasp of the dying swan. Several of the actual tunes are nice and melodic, but the show itself seems like a great collection of misjudgements and traces from R&H triumphs. Based on the studio recording only, it seems like it's supposed to be a cross between Oklahoma! and The Sond of music, with a little State Fair thrown in. Ev'ry Day (Comes Something Wonderful) sounds like a cheap Favourite Things imitation, and Liv Ullman must have appeared like something supposed to be Julie Andrews :o

Do you think Sondheim is right when he claims Rodgers had no interrest in how to tell a story through song?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Rodgers' post Hammerstein shows
I find almost all of Rodgers' post-Hammerstein work ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL. Two By Two is one of the worst shows I have ever heard and Do I Hear a Waltz is embarassingly hokey (I didn't know that Sondheim was capable of writing bad lyrics!). Rex and parts of No Strings are decent enough but hardly brilliant.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
There are parts of Rex and DIHAW that I just love. I kind of strongly dislike Two by Two, and I'm a complete No Strings virgin.
Sorry I'm not contributing much, lol. Those are just my scattered thoughts on this topic.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mama Rose wrote:
Do I Hear a Waltz is embarassingly hokey (I didn't know that Sondheim was capable of writing bad lyrics!).

Uhm, do you have any examples of bad lyrics and why you think they are bad? I think Sondheim's DIHAW lyrics are about as great as the rest of his lyrics, they are very touching and witty imo.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 am

I adore the music and lyrics to REX. It is seriously one of my most listened to cast recordings..Harnick and Rodgers really complimented each other well.
I also love Two By Two. both shows suffer from a book that can be tighter. Two By Two I have seen performed 3 times and the more I see it, the more I love it.
as for REX the book needs a serious re-write but I do wish it would be remounted in a lavish production, perhaps with Brent Barrett,Ruthie Henshall and Sutton Foster.

DO I Hear a Waltz and I Remember Mama have very little good in them.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Salome wrote:
DO I Hear a Waltz and I Remember Mama have very little good in them.

Regarding DIHAW, I have no idea what you're talking about. I think it's both very witty and very touching, both music- and lyricwise. Can you who dislike Waltz please be more specific?

Formerly known as Dvarg

Thu May 19, 2011 12:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Has anyone heard Androcles and the Lion? This was a Rodgers TV special in 1967 with Noel Coward as Caesar (or maybe a Roman governor), Norman Wisdom and Ed Ames. Of the songs, the only one I recall somewhat is "Gentle Paws".

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Coward was indeed Ceasar...saw a clip of him..delightful as ever. wish i could find the whole special.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I adore Two By Two. I know that Danny Kaye was reportedly an ass doing the show, but his performance on the cast recording is wonderful. His energy and enthusiasm are boundless in the title song and "90 Again", but then surprisingly is very tender in "You". And DIHAW is also one of my very favorites. In terms of musical theater, "Thank You So Much" sums up a passing romance as closely as anything else.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]