The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Precedents in Lloyd Webber recomposing songs 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Precedents in Lloyd Webber recomposing songs
I've had thoughts after reading about ALW's plan to recast the Tugger's song as a hip-hop song.

I have been surprised. Up till now I thought he only recomposed the Starlight Express songs to keep up with the sensibilities of the changing audiences. I am aware of the changes he made to Evita and Cats (e.g. the opera pastiche duet for Growltiger and Griddlebone).

Now I see he wants to recompose parts of his Cats score for the upcoming London Palladium revival.

Will this mean that he might recompose pastiches that didn't go down well in his other scores? Will this mean that the various pastiche songs in Joseph may "date"? Think of it this way, Joseph has Elvis-era rock, country-western, calypso, disco and French chanson all mixed into its score. So does this mean that ALW might recompose some of his Joseph songs in future?

I have doubts about this. I know that the pastiches may date with the audiences, but the affected songs are still integral parts of their parent scores.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:41 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: http://www.poptop.uk.com
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Precedents in Lloyd Webber recomposing songs
To make sense traing it... this genre can be quite interesting for a specific audience

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]