The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Accusations of plagiarism 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Accusations of plagiarism
One of the songs I co-wrote and recorded takes a couple of two bar phrases from Metallica's "Nothin' Else Matters." I highly doubt they will be banging on my door any time soon.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
Let's just pretend for a minute that he did rip off Pink Floyd. Do you think one day he thought to himself, while listening to the song, "man, this shit's good. bet it would go well in my musical!". It just seems like such a random song to rip off. It's not even one of Pink Floyd's biggest songs. If he was deliberately ripping off of the band, why not rip off Another Brick in the Wall or Comfortably Numb?

I'm not convinced by that. If you were going to plagiarise deliberately (although I don't think ALW did), you'd deliberately go for something obscure, otherwise half your audience would notice it and you'd lose all credibility. And get sued.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Oh wow the phrase in The Appartment thing is identical. :wtf:

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
jackrussell wrote:
Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
Let's just pretend for a minute that he did rip off Pink Floyd. Do you think one day he thought to himself, while listening to the song, "man, this shit's good. bet it would go well in my musical!". It just seems like such a random song to rip off. It's not even one of Pink Floyd's biggest songs. If he was deliberately ripping off of the band, why not rip off Another Brick in the Wall or Comfortably Numb?

I'm not convinced by that. If you were going to plagiarise deliberately (although I don't think ALW did), you'd deliberately go for something obscure, otherwise half your audience would notice it and you'd lose all credibility. And get sued.

True, but that'd still be a really random scenario. "You know what would go great with Phantom of the Opera? Pink Floyd!" As I said, it's a simple chord progression. Why, out of all of their songs, would he choose to rip off that? It's a coincidence, and nothing more.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:11 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
jackrussell wrote:
Cptn. Wazoo wrote:

True, but that'd still be a really random scenario. "You know what would go great with Phantom of the Opera? Pink Floyd!" As I said, it's a simple chord progression. Why, out of all of their songs, would he choose to rip off that? It's a coincidence, and nothing more.

The truth is that they sound typical of the type of chord scales that would be used for the evil character in a silent movie. I personally think that this is what ALW had in mind.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

People only accuse ALW of plagiarism because he's getting so rich off his music, so they think they can make a cheap buck by taking him to court over some superficial similarity of tunes, IMO. Same goes for Jerry Herman with "Hello, Dolly" (the only other case, as far as I know, where a MT composer was actually threatened with legal action for plagiarizing a tune).

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:47 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
To be honest, you always find similarities in art. Always. That doesn't have to be on purpose. And ALW is definitely NOT the only composer who has written song with similarities to other songs.

It's subconscious, as in all kinds of art. To be honest, many artists do that. I don't think ALW sits down while working and thinks "umm... so... what tune will I steal today?" that would be totally stupid.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2