The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105
Tanz der Vampire 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Tanz der Vampire
The good looking man in my banner is Máté Kámárás. There should be loads of information about him in the Elisabeth thread, as he played Death in Elisabeth in Vienna, and there is an official dvd of him.

And yes, like fanetjuh already said, Kevin really likes attention and always takes a lot of time for his fans (we were at a soloconcert where a manager told us Kevin didn't have a lot of time and we couldn't say a lot to him, but apparently he didn't check that with Kevin himself, because he did take a lot of time for everyone). Thomas on stage is a complete different experience than Thomas off stage. On stage he is brilliant, he can improvise better than almost anyone I know, he makes contact with the people in the audience (sitting on the first row is quite scary, I can tell you that), but off stage, he is almost shy, doesn't want a lot of attention, and likes to create a distance between him and his fans (and when you do that, he is really polite to talk with).

And I thought we had expensive passports with almost 50 euro's...
Hochparkett is indeed the balcony, and the Spiegel Foyer should be really pretty! We forgot to check that, last time in Berlin... but they will be holding both meet & greets at the same time then... I think the fans of Kevin aren't going to be pleased, because not everyone is going to 2 shows that day...

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Tanz der Vampire
(Assuming I actually get to meet Thomas,) how much do you want to bet I'll screw up and use the 'du' form?

I learned German as a child while spending time in Kiel with assorted family. In other words, I haven't taken classes, I learned by speaking. And since I was with family, we used the 'du' form. So that's what comes out of my mouth unless I'm concentrating. And English doesn't have that distinction between 'formal' and 'informal' so I tend to forget about it.

I'll have to figure out a couple of phrases and just memorize them.

On the other hand, Kevin sounds like a fun guy. I seem to remember reading somewhere that he was born in America - so he speaks English, right?

Wait a minute - I just paged down to re-read fanetjuh reply and noticed Lein's response. What are you talking about - 'both' meet-and-greets? Huh??

Here's the exact text of the email Stage Entertainment) sent:

There is a *Meet and Greet* planned after the evening performance on 12 May in our *Spiegel Foyer* that is one floor above the stalls in our *Hochparkett* and you are welcome to stay after the performance to take part.

I am usually on duty on Friday and Saturday so please go to our Merchandise Stand when you arrive at the theatre and ask to speak to me, and I will come down to meet you and explain what happens after the Saturday evening show.

He doesn't say anything about two events. Am I misunderstanding something? I want to see Kevin!! I certainly hope he's going to be there.

(Lein - Máté Kámárás is definitely easy on the eyes. Where can I get this official dvd? Soundofmusic.de??)

Last edited by barbarake on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I assumed there would be a possibility to meet both Kevin and Thomas. I'm not sure how they will arrange that (and otherwise, Kevin is really easy to meet at the stagedoor). He is American, so yes, he does speak English. And Thomas worked in England, so I assume his English is fine too (I always try to speak German, so I haven't tried it)

And screwing up and use the 'du' form? Been there, done that... we were waiting in Sankt Gallen for Thomas, and suddenly he came out and walked away the other way. Without thinking I said "Thomas!". Luckily he didn't hear me (or pretended he didn't hear me). The next day we tried again, and then I said Herr Borchert and Sie, and everything went fine ;) (in Dutch, we have the distinction, but one usually uses the du form)

Yes, you can buy the Elisabeth dvd at soundofmusic.de in any case. Maybe in more places, but I haven't checked them.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:43 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I always thought indeed that it was a meet and greet with both counts...well actually I thought that it would be two seperate meet and greets, but I can understand that that wont happen...I'll wait and see!

I remember us while we were practising for meeting thomas: "Herr Borchert, Sie Ihnen Sie" the first time it did work out fine, the second time in Sankt Gallen it didnt work out at all...

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Why can't I edit/delete my previous post??

I realized (too late) that I probably shouldn't have mentioned by name but I can't change it. If I click 'edit post' in the top right corner, it brings me to a page with my post where the sentences all run together in one big paragraph and I can't move the cursor inside the paragraph to edit. And the 'delete post' button is missing.

Oh well, I'll try later.

Actually, I can understand Thomas being reserved because I'm the same way among people I don't know. It has to be difficult dealing with crowds of fans all the time. I know I couldn't do it.

In fact, I would find their whole lifestyle to be difficult. Imagine being in a different city every few months for different shows (or every few days for different concerts). Ugghhh. Being away from family and friends so much must be very wearing.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:10 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Ok, I'm all set. Airline tickets and hotel are reserved. I decided to come in a day early so I will arrive in Berlin Thurs. at (roughly) 3 PM and leave the following Wed. morning. That will give me the rest of Thursday, most of Friday, and Mon./Tues. to sight-see.

The airline ticket cost a bit more than I would have liked but it's worth it since I'll leave from the small, local airport (instead of having to drive 1.5 - 3 hours to the nearest 'big' airport). And the *times* are much better (no leaving at 6 AM, etc.)

It took me awhile to settle on a hotel. I ended up going with a small 'pension'. According to the reviews I found, it's not as *nice* as some of the others (since it's located in an older building, etc.) but it has one overwhelming advantage - it's only 300 m. from the theater, just off Ku'damm. Perfect location!! It should be just fine. The biggest complaint people had was that it doesn't have an elevator! (I guarantee you those reviews were written by Americans ;) .)

Lein - I started reading the 'Elizabeth' thread (whew!) and saw a clip with Máté playing 'Herbert' (during that scene with 'Alfred'). I have to admit that I didn't really like it. Granted, 'Herbert' is an 'over-the-top' character but Máté played it just a bit *too* over-the-top for me. But that's just my taste. (Though I have to admit obviously many people like him - the fangirls were screaming throughout the entire clip. At one point he flexed his arm and the girls went crazy. :D )

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

That sounds as if you did a great job! Nica that everything is set! It gives a bit peace in mind ;-) And have some time to sight-see isn't a bad idea in Berlin!

And sometimes the advantages weight out the fact that it costs a bit more...sometimes it's just worth it!

And the hotels are a problem that weekend, some big soccer game final is that saturday, so it will be busy...and I never look at those reviews too much...most people just complain because they expect a 5 star hotel for nothing. But so close to the theatre? Sounds great!

And aha! You've seen the clip of steve's last show...not really fair to jugde him on those, since it was a different show than normal. They did a lot of things different, making a lot of jokes...The girls went crazy because Herbert, also not Mate, doesn't do that normally! (I hate the screaming by the way...it hurts!) Try youtube for another scene with him as Herbert, although he seems there so happy to be allowed to play the part...it's still not that perfect ;-) But as death in elisabeth he's great!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Fanetjuh - when you say 'Steve's last show', I'm guessing you mean Steve Barton? That would make the clip at least ten years old, right? (No wonder Mate looks so young. Of course, they all look young to me. :D )

To be fair, I haven't looked for nor seen that many clips of just Herbert and/or Alfred. (I can't help it, I'm a Krolock fan. :D ) But when I get a chance, I'll look around a bit.

At some point, you guys have to explain what you do before/during/after these shows. I know you've mentioned going to the 'stage door' and meeting the actors but I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I've gone to shows on Broadway and elsewhere but 1) that was a long time ago and 2) we just arrived/watched the show/left. (Well, other than the 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' which was an experience in itself).

Speaking of RHPS, I've now seen clips of both Thomas and Mate singing 'Sweet Transvestite' on stage though I still haven't been able to watch either clip all the way through. I think if they'd been in costume or something it would have been different but seeing them in normal clothes and singing that song just sort of freaks me out. (I guess that's the 'repressed German' in me coming out. :D )

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Hi guys - just checking in...

It's been an interesting couple of days. My younger son had a bicycle accident and managed to break both arms in a total of three places. So he's now wearing a full cast/sling on one arm and a partial cast on the other. Poor kid looks downright pitiful.

But I have to give him credit. After the accident, he went to his three-hour chemistry lab. The teacher actually assigned one of the other students to bring him to the clinic after class because Jonathan kept insisting he was fine.

Not much else is new. Two more days of work, then my six-day break. I'm hoping to pick up a couple extra shifts at work (extra money for the trip) but don't know if the company will let me (since it will put me into overtime). But it's spring break time around here and many of the nurses want to take time off to spend with their kids so the company might have to let me take the shifts since they can't find people to cover.

Oh, I almost forgot. Back when the boys were teenagers, Chuck (my ex-husband) set up a half-dozen sofas and a bunch of chairs in the upper story of the main barn along with a big projection tv, popcorn machine, etc. So for the past five or six years, their friends come over once a week and they have 'movie night'. Generally we order in pizza for them or barbeque hamburgers or something like that and it's been quite successful. (It started as a safe way for them to be able to get together with friends but it's become a tradition.)

Anyway - guess what they'll be watching Thursday??

The boys (well, Christopher because Jonathan can't help much with his arms) are decorating the barn (think spiderwebs, bats, and fog machine) and trying to come up with appropriate foods.

It should be a lot of fun. I already told them I'm staying for this one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105