The Resource For Musicals

Sunset Boulevard Forum

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SB Movie 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post SB Movie
Saw this at Dark Horizons...

Sunset Boulevard: There's always no shortage of rumours about Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals becoming films...and here's a bunch more with thanks to 'Adam':

"After Bombay Dreams opens in the West End later this year, Webber wants to really concentrate on getting movies made. Now that both "Cats" and "StarlightExpress" have closed in London he could do with the money.

Encouraged by the success of the UK tour he wants to fast tracked "Sunset Boulevard" for production. They have outlined who they want for the picture and are on the verge of starting to approach them. Either Joel Schumacher or Skekar Kapur is wanted for director, whilst Glenn Close, Bette Midler and Liza Minnelli are the favorites for Norma Desmond.

Edward Norton, Robert Downey, Jr and Hugh Jackman are wanted for the male lead, Joe Gillis. Kate Winslet, Faith Hill and Martine McCutcheon are in line for Betty, with Patrick Stewart as Max and Albert Finney as Cecil B. De Mille. Julie Taymor, director of The Lion King on Broadway is wanted for a re-make of "Jesus Christ Superstar"

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm

Thu May 30, 2002 9:22 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Althogh Bette Midler is a great personality, can you imagine. "Ah, Max, my favorite butler/husband/director. I'll never forget the first time I ran into him, peddling papayas on 42nd Street. . . . Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my close-up, Nipples to the Wind!!"

I can just imagine. Hmmm. . .wonder what happened to Streisand, she was in the running a few years ago??

Dustin

Thu May 30, 2002 12:53 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

They shouldn't film it. The musical was a good interpretation of the great masterpiece of a film....to do it on screen would just be counterproductive to the Wilder film and the stage show.

"The quest for happiness boils down to this...one must live well to know what living is!"

Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Hmmm. . .interesting perspective, but I think a little ridiculous. As we all know, Lloyd Webber's name will be plastered all over it, so it won't even be mixed up with the wonderful original, nor compared (unless you're completely clueless). It hasn't been decided as to how it will be filmed, a stage version, as Joseph, or a megamovie, as Evita.

In all reality, Close has the movie deal, always has, a one picture deal. But we know how Andrew feels about contracts.

Dustin

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

If Glenn Close did the film, it sounds like she would win her overdue Oscar. BUT... I can SEE Minnelli in the role, don't even have to close my eyes to see it. It seems like a very natural choice for the role of a very unnatural person. That might have been a wisecrack but I doubt it.

Stewart as Max... sounds good. Jackman was Gillis in the Australian production, so that works. What about Gwyneth Paltrow as Betty? She at least looks the type, and she's a decent singer.

Schumacher or Kapur... I really don't see either as a good choice. How about a newcomer?

I actually haven't seen or heard the musical. Saw the original film. Wonder if the musical would score bigger at the Oscars.

Dave

Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:28 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well, Streisand may actually be doing the movie, although I would take Close anyday. No official press release to date, so everything is being kept secret.

A new Sunset Tour is scheduled from RUG Oz, in addition to a Tokyo run and South Africa.

D-

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:16 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I definetly think Glen Close would be the ideal Norma. After all (and I mean this in the highest respect), she makes a wonderful psycho. Just think of "101 Dalmations", and of course, "Fatal Attraction".

What about Peter Gallagher as Joe? We know he can sing (he did Guys and Dolls on Broadway), and I think he is a teriffic actor. He seems to be able to play the sarcastic, sometimes cynical leading man with style.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if Patrick Stewart played Max. Although, I think I would rather see Albery Finney play the part. And of course, who ever didn't get Max would be Cecil B. Demille.

Betty is definetly a hard one. I know I'm jumping on a very common band wagon (I say this because a lot of people seem to want them to play the femal lead in every movie-musical that may be coming along), but what about Rene Zelweiger or Cathryn Zeta-Jones (sorry about the spelling) as Betty? Another favorite which I'm also going to agree with for this project is Nicole Kidman. I'm sure there are actresses who are better suited (no offense to these three women) for the role, but they are the three people who spring to mind. Maybe the answer is to choose an actress who is strictly known for "straight" (non-musical) movies, but has a theatre background.

All-Star Musical Character>> Nicely-Nicely Johnson from "Guys and Dolls"

Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

She would be a good choice for Betty... she did wonders with the role.

~E

Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

If Glenn Close did the film, it sounds like she would win her overdue Oscar. BUT... I can SEE Minnelli in the role, don't even have to close my eyes to see it. It seems like a very natural choice for the role of a very unnatural person. That might have been a wisecrack but I doubt it.

Minelli would do a fine job of acting the role. Unfortunately, her voice is shot to sh!t.

Streisand . . . indifferent. She could either be divine or crap.

Midler I'm a big fan of. Like Streisand though, she could go either way. Or a bit of both - like in Gypsy, some people adore her, some hate her.

Glenn Close, on the other hand, would be amazing. I love her voice and her acting and she's done it before. There's not a better pick.

"He was jacked up higher than a prom dress in June." Angelo Pike Death to Smoochy

Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

They shouldn't film it. The musical was a good interpretation of the great masterpiece of a film....to do it on screen would just be counterproductive to the Wilder film and the stage show.

But the original is so old. I'm not saying that all films have to be remade but considering that ALW's version was a stage adaptation then what's to stop it being a success once more on the big screen? Norma Desmond is a fantastic role and would be amazing on screen. Glenn Close is a fine actress and if Hugh Jackman did Joe Gillis then we would be in for a big name Oscar feast. You might point to the relative failure of Evita but I would then point to the dull story and at times, uninspiring music. Sunset would be great.

Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

But the original is so old.

Sio what? It's brilliant.

I really want to see this movie made. I think it'd be a great film. The music is awesome, and the parts (especially Gillis) are masterfully written.

Barbra as Norma? Yes, I can see it. I like Hugh Jacman in the role of Joe as well.

Patrick Stewart as Max? Can "Captain Picard" sing? :)

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Glenn Close can't sing well...... she's a very strong actress and I respect her for that, but she shouldn't raise her voice in song..... she's abominable on the cast recording of "Sunset", and she butchered "South Pacific".

Ok, here's my example. I've used it before. During "Salome" on the CD, she shows that she has the ability to belt, but then she allows herself to switch registers without proper breath support, and it sounds horrible. Same goes for "With One Look", but it's most noticeable in "Salome".... if she's got the ability to belt, which clearly she does, then why doesn't the use it for God's sake instead of switching registers like that? And if she's going to switch registers, she shold do it properly.... any trained professional should know that it's all about the breath.... stop moving the breath and it's going to sound abominable.... but keep the breath moving and support it, and she won't have that break in her voice.....

Then again, as much as I love Andrew Lloyd Webber, he isn't exactly known for casting his female leads properly....

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next