The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Stuff the movie got right? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Stuff the movie got right?
Even though I had a lot of issues with the movie, there were some things I liked about it.

* I liked Margaret Preece's dub of Carlotta's singing voice, and also thought Jennifer Ellison was a decent Meg.
* The background/ensemble performers were often quite good, especially the three male chorus members in the "Hannibal" rehearsal scene. (Too bad the filmmakers didn't cast one of them as the Phantom instead...)
* Some of the transition shots were quite nice -- my favorite is the ending of "Prima Donna" with the curtain closing once the song ends. (That whole scene was quite well-shot, I think.)
* Emmy's appearance as Christine was quite nice, though aging down the character was a problem.
* The use of the swan bed in the Phantom's lair -- whether it was an homage to the silent POTO film from 1925, Sunset Boulevard, or both, it was a nice touch.
* Many of the orchestral arrangements were great, even if the recording/mastering techniques didn't do them justice.
* The opening and closing shots with the photographs coming to life were quite nice.
* The foreign-language dubs were often excellent; I especially liked the Spanish, Italian, and Japanese ones.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:07 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Stuff the movie got right?
I liked some of the parts of the editing. The black and white scenes, photos coming to live, etc. But that's all.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2