Which Kim? 

Which Kim?
Lea Salonga 81%  81%  [ 78 ]
Joanna Ampil 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 96

Which Kim? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Lea Salonga. Her voice is divine, emotional, and both strong and soft at the same time. She is Kim. I don't have much to compare to, though, since I've seen Saigon only twice and both times with the same leading lady (she was amazing too, but I still prefer Lea) and I haven't listened to the CSR, but I still couldn't even imagine anyone being a better Kim than Lea Salonga.

Theme Song >> Stars from Les Misérables

Can't make omelettes without killing a few people -NG

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Definately JO! Her voice is perfect, pure when soft and so much power when needed. And it just gets better and better!

Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:01 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Lea is still the definitive Kim, no one beats her tonal clarity and purity. Joanna is surprisingly good in the role, but she has a tad too much vibratto for my taste

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:51 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Lea, but I saw Joanna on stage in the role and loved her just as much. They have very similar voices IMHO.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:21 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Joanna Definitely. Lea Solanga has one of the most amazing voices ever and I like her more as Eponine hands down, but I think that Joanna is just a better belter, and Kim is a Mezzo part full of passion. It really comes through on the CSR.

Past Credits-
Bobby Child-Crazy For You
Archibald Craven-The Secret Garden
Leading Player-Pippin
Lefou- Beauty and the Beast

Thu May 04, 2006 11:20 am
Both were amazing, but Lea is the Original who made the role that is why I chose her.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have to go with Lea because 1) I haven't heard Jo and once again, can't get the CSR because that costs money and 2) I want to be Lea Salonga. Seriously. I would DIE for her voice. Its amazing.

I didn't see her in Les Miz (or Miss Saigon for that matter, yay being not born or too young to see them when those shows were originally on Broadway!) but I love watching clips of her as Eponine, particurally in "On My Own." Everything: her voice, her expressions, just the way she looked, was stunning. In Miss Saigon on the CD we hear the voice and I assume all the expressions must be the same.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:42 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I concede I can't be very objective on this because I have only seen Lea on YouTube and I have only heard, not seen, Jo (who makes a grammar error on the CSR, and they didn't edit it!). And I have seen Laurie Cadevida live on the Melbourne 2007 show. I think Laurie is the best of these three. But I am comparing Lea when she was in her 1st year in MS, while I am seeing Laurie in her 4th, so Laurie had a time to hone her skills. Lea earned her Tony, but Laurie continues to wow Australian audiences with the quality and strength of her voice which matches the strength of her character.

Sun May 13, 2007 3:58 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Jo is defnitely a better belter than Lea but I think because Lea had more international exposures (not just in theatre but movies and televisions), people are more familiar with her and so they'd usually choose her.

I chose Lea too. I've only heard Jo on the CSR and saw her perform as Fantine in Les Mis. I suppose it helps more if you're american based (and talented too of course). There's a wider chance of exposure there which gives Lea the advantage.

Last edited by sherwills on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 16, 2007 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I actually like the one I saw in a community theatre show the best...I forget her name, but it was scary how good she was, the emotions and everything, she was truly believeable as the part and added so much to it. Plus, her voice was extraordinary. However, of these two, I think I'm going to have to go with Lea, even though I haven't seen either of them, I think Lea has much mroe emotion in her voice which I like.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Lea Salonga. Her voice is divine, emotional, and both strong and soft at the same time. She is Kim. I don't have much to compare to, though, since I've seen Saigon only twice and both times with the same leading lady (she was amazing too, but I still prefer Lea) and I haven't listened to the CSR, but I still couldn't even imagine anyone being a better Kim than Lea Salonga.

totally agree with you :P

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next