Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Eponine Audition (On My Own tips) 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde, Next to Normal, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
Post Eponine Audition (On My Own tips)
Hi! I have an audition for a local teen production of Les Mis in a few weeks and I am hoping for Eponine. She has been my dream role for a long time and I finally have the chance to audition for her!

The way it usually goes with this program is that for the initial audition, everybody has to sing the same song, which is one from the show that the director picks. Then, for callbacks, we have to sing part of the song (usually the end) that the character sings.

I have been constantly working on On My Own in the hopes that I get an Eponine callback, and I can belt the C, but I think it might sound better (and feel better) mixed instead. I do have a strong mix, but it is obviously not as strong as my belt. (I do think it is strong enough though.) Should I belt the "known" or mix it?

I'm conflicted because The people at this program know me , and in the past they have told me that I need to be less "screamy" and pull back a little bit. I feel that if I don't belt out the C and just make sure my acting is really great, while also making sure my mix is strong, that may be what they are asking for. Plus, I don't know how happy my voice teacher would be if I belted a C :roll: Also, I know most girls are going to go in there and belt it and I want to set myself apart.

Overall, my question is, is that note necessarily meant to be belted? If I have a strong enough mix can I use it? Will I not get the part if I put it in my mix instead? If you think it should be belted instead, I will just do that. Thanks!

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:17 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: eternal obsession = Evita
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Eponine Audition (On My Own tips)
My suggestion would be to go with the mix, not the true belt. Particularly in light of the past advice you were given by the program directors. It's always better to err on the side of avoiding a "strained" quality for that note, anyway. Hope that helps!

All-Star Musical Character >> Maria, WEST SIDE STORY
Theme Song >> "Nowadays," CHICAGO

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]