Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Things that Peeve You that Other People Say or Think about 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Things that Peeve You that Other People Say or Think abo
Quique wrote:

Oh, and it warmed my heart so that I felt all fuzzy inside when some weirdo once created a thread for people who "hate the musical," assuming this elite snob thing I'm referring to, only to be shot down by the whole site for going into a forum that celebrates the musical and novel and creating such a thread. And people say I'M a loon? Haha.

...lolwhut? Someone did that? How does that...make sense...this is a forum about musicals...Silly haters. :lol:

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:20 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Thom_Boyer wrote:
But I happen to really *like* the OLC... :oops:

Of course, I'm not about to go to war over it either.

Heehee!

No, no. It's cool to like and prefer any recording one wants. The OLC and its fans are not the problem.

But I can't stand the idea that something is preferred over other things because it was the first version they were exposed to. If people cared to assess their own reasons for liking things, they'd find it isn't as simple as what came first. In the process, they'd also realize that the effort they put in understanding their likes and dislikes is proportional to their level of interest. Placing something above because of some chronological advantage it has over other versions isn't a sin, but is highly suspect when that's the only explanation someone who claims to be a fan offers. Especially to people like me who can go on and on about textures of various combos of orchestral instruments and why some make their spine tingle and others make them want to scream. It's really about engagement. It's nice to read posts that are engaging by having something to offer but saying "this came first so it's my favorite" signals a dead end discussion.

That's not to be confused with preferring something because it brings fond memories/feelings that first exposures tend to bring. If that's the case, by all means, say it. It's perfectly valid. I have many albums, both musicals and pop/rock, that I can point out as providing emotional comfort.

But it is invalid in a discussion where the person with the comfort-preference is saying a performer of another album sucks because they don't bring similar feelings of comfort. Of course, most people who think enough to post such rationale would have already stopped themselves from arguing such a lame point in the first place. Which only necessitates a little bit of thinking about the whys and hows of everyday things, opinions, and desires. It prevents uselessness, promotes self awareness, and enriches discussion.

It also makes insane people like me. :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Old thread, I know, but I've got a pet peeve that I keep running into, more so than ever now that the movie is coming out. Why did I never say this before?

People who write Valjean's name as "Jean Val Jean."

VALJEAN IS ONE WORD!!! "Jean" is not his surname! "Val" is not his middle name! His surname is Valjean! ONE WORD! :x

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Anyone else think the Lea worship gets creepy at times over on YouTube?

I love the chick and she is a former M.net member and also a wonderful Eponine and fabulous Fantine. Not to mention, a great Kim. So I'm not in any way undermining her or suggesting she is undeserving of the er...acclaim.

But I've never seen trolls so fiercely dedicated to promoting their fave artist. It's remarkable as it is creepy. Over a span of a couple of years, a certain Sutton Foster video has been continuously flamed by people who are obviously devoted Lea fans. I consider myself as the type that gets emotional easily and have no shame in expressing my love for something/someone but I'd never be able to keep up that type of behavior. Trolling videos and blasting the artists fan base just because it isn't their favorite artist featured. The lamest of the lame.

It isn't just that one video. It's many but that's the worst one.

One of the most eyebrow-raising comments I've read was by a Lea fan and went something like this: "Now I have a reason to be proud of being Pinoy."

Really? I mean, I hope he/she was joking.

Because as much as I count musical theatre as a major part of my life, it's still safely contained within the realm of Entertainment and will never be a reason for living and the many actors who appear in them will never be the reason I am happy to be who I am. Besides, there are no 5'4", Hispanic, stuttering, neurotic queens in any musical that I've ever heard of! XD

And with my self-confidence and shameless nature, you'd best be glad I'm being underrepresented and not encouraged!!

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hello, I'm new! I've lurked on and off for years but finally de-cloaking! :D

I agree about worshipful comments of certain fans. I don't think it's confined to Lea Salonga, though. My general peeve is when fans want to make it a competition between a particular performer and previous ones who have played the same role. This isn't the same as having favorites. We all have favorites and it is fun to compare in a respectful manner, but when people want to go on a given Eponine's (for example) YouTube videos and say "she's OK but but she'll never be better than X because X IS Eponine!" or something like that, it's irritating, and some get downright nasty about it. These performers are not trying to outdo each other. They are trying to give the best performance they as individual performers can give. Everyone will have their own opinions about who is best, but it's not a competition and it's irritating when some people seem to want to make it such.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Btw, just thought I'd say that, as a 'minority,' an 'other,' a persistently marginalized 'type,' I know far too well what it is to see someone who shares your culture and identity rise to the top and for once show a different side of your people, a positive one that is very much based in reality, as opposed to the stereotype. I know that feeling of feeling proud of them and happy to be represented at least partially. I'd say that person who made that comment about having a reason to be proud of being Pinoy really meant well and probably just phrased it funny. Just want to make sure what I said isn't taken as an insensitive attack. I wish I could link to it now because it did genuinely make me sad to read it, as it was phrased in a way that suggested that person had fallen into that all too familiar trap where people loath who they are so much, they try to pretend the aren't who they are. I've seen that attitude a lot by fellow Hispanics growing up and it's the saddest thing because the amount of shame they feel over who they are is immense and it's obvious with the lengths they go to suggest they're anything but.

Of course it's OK to feel proud of Lea and the fact you share her background alone as the basis is not lame or pathetic. I guess the people who are um...passionate and dedicated, multi-year trolls of other artists (notice I'm not saying ALL. I'm sure these nuts represent half percent of her fans), tend to grate on one's nerves. They are even insulting to Lea, by summing up the reason she was good as having a technically crystalline voice. Um, no. She has a beautiful voice but I like how she got down with Eponine and was one with that expressive music swelling in intensity around her. And her Fantine was throaty and raw and tragic. She'd have sucked if she sang it in perfectly clear, straight-tone fashion.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Anyone saying Javert is evil. One day I will copy the definition of Lawful Neutral on a nightstick and hit anyone who calls him evil.

Book elitists. I read the book first when I was a child and numarous times (over 30) since then, but I'm glad when the show makes someone read it. It isn't taught in the school in every country, and it's not meant for kids to begin with. It's big, heavy and it's perfectly okay if someone only comes to it as an adult. When I was little, I found a LOT of things in it scary or too naturalistic. What's wrong with people reading a book because they saw a play or a movie? It means they liked it and want to know more. Hey, I read it as a child in the first place because I saw a few episodes of some (possibly terrible) animated version and I liked Cosette and Gavroche.

When people think it's all about the chase. No it's not. Javert did other things too. In those eight years he made a reputation in Paris and ended up in informal terms with the Paris underworld. There must have been some serious offpage arsekicking he did. I wish he became a POV much earlier.

People who think Patria is an actual girl. Facepalm.

People who say Javert is in Hell. I think even if he went there, they soon threw him out because he kept arresting demons. :P

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:50 am

I agree about the Javert is evil thing. I recall finding it absolutely distasteful when I became aware of how the actors playing the role routinely got booed at curtain call in London at one point. Apparently it's a lighthearted tradition and one the actors playing a villain expect.

But, but, he's not a villain. :S

I used to be very opinionated about that and would be harsh at the mere mention. Not any more. While it still causes me to correct people who say that, it's tricky. Much like the Thenardiers and the screaming fans who just have to scold anyone who dares mention they are even remotely funny, one must take into account the character's function in the play and the story meant to be told in the musical adaptation.

No, the Thenardiers' actions are not funny and they cause much harm, but they serve as a reflection of the bad in all of us and there is definitely a degree of that in every last person. I think it's both brilliant and disconcerting how the things people laugh at that they do aren't really very funny at all. It signifies a few possible things, that we inherently find bad behavior acceptable in some contexts, that we can see ourselves doing something bad for the sake of entertainment; to get our way; or just because it is our nature to be selfish, or we just desperately want a moment of laughter that we lap up any remote suggestion of comedy. I've always been intrigued at what little it takes to get people into a howling laughter. A glance. A gesture. I am glad for their function in this musical.

Javert is not literally evil and he gives us many opportunities within the musical to see that. I agree it's a bit simpleminded to assume he's a bad guy, but I wouldn't blame people too much for basing that on Valjean's point of view. At the end of the day, Javert is bad, bad, bad news for Valjean even if Valjean makes it clear he doesn't blame him but that doesn't mean Valjean thinks it's just wonderful how he keeps him from living a normal life. Instead, he has to deal with the highly unnecessary plague of having someone after you. I genuinely feel for Javert, but I wouldn't blame anyone for feeling a sense of relief after he hops into the Seine.

Or takes wing and flies into Hell's anus, as he does in new innovative tour.

Last edited by Quique on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:40 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I never understood this booing-the-villain thing. Like what? I go to the opera and I hear a magnificent baritone going Scarpia or Iago or whatever, and I'm supposed to boo? :?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Bad guys are the best in story telling ! :twisted:
without them, no stories...

Of course, Javert is not a vilain, not a bad guy. But he has that function in the story telling : The one whose actions make the events occur.
What would have happened if Javert was not there ?

After Fantine's death, Valjean should have send someone fetch Cosette and she would have lived happily in Montreuil-sur-Mer.
So Cosette and Marius should never meet but Eponine would still be in love with him ...
Oh wait ! I see some terrible Eppie-lover's fan fiction down there ! :silent:

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:01 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

TricksterGabriel wrote:
Anyone saying Javert is evil. One day I will copy the definition of Lawful Neutral on a nightstick and hit anyone who calls him evil.

I love this comment :thumbup:

TricksterGabriel wrote:
People who think Patria is an actual girl. Facepalm.

LOL :lol:

My pet peeves:

- Fans who laugh at people who ask "silly" questions about the story/musical, like who is who or who dies when, or mispronounce French names. There's a first time for everything and you weren't born reciting Les Mis in French in your head remember? Maybe they didn't read the story at school (I recall we had a couple of choices, one of them was Les Mis), or maybe never managed to get tickets to the show, never got the DVD, never learnt French, or whatever. Don't roll your eyes - be helpful, and inform them.
- People who say false things like Norm Lewis is better Javert than Philip Quast ... OK, I'm kidding, KIDDING! "Don't hit me, I bruise easily!" :) But you get the idea. I enjoy discussing why I like certain cast members better than others, but it only makes sense if the participants give reasons for their claims and are willing to be informed of other options. But to simply say "you are an idiot for thinking that"... yeah well, thanks for the valuable contribution.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Old thread, I know, but I need to vent...

I'm so sick of people bashing the singing in the movie just because it's different than the stage version! :x I don't mean Russell Crowe's singing, or Amanda Seyfried's: those really are a matter of taste. I mean bashing of the singers with theatre experience whose vocals are technically impeccable. People who say that Aaron Tveit "sucks" just because he's not a powerhouse belter like Warlow or Maguire, or that Samantha Barks sounds "weak" just because she doesn't belt as much as she did in the O2 concert, or that Anne Hathaway "overacts" just because she's more overtly emotional and less composed & ladylike than Ruthie Henshall.

These are dramatic choices, people! They're not trying and failing to do their parts in the stage way, they're making them their own for the screen! "Different" ≠ "bad"! :x :x

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next