Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
On-Going Orch Tracks Project 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: On-Going Orch Tracks Project
Another update. :mrgreen:

Btw, notice a pattern? When I get going and I'm on a roll, I can't stop until the track is almost finished, then...

...I suddenly drop it and it remains 95% done for like, months, lol. I need to quit that. Really. *Boxes own ears*

Anyway!! Just completed woodwinds! The clarinet is a bit loud in certain parts but I'll fix that later. In addition to the full string section and complete oboe and flute parts, this update has the completed clarinet and bassoon.

Also, I've been noticing this crackle/popping noise on my tracks for a while now. It isn't constant but it tends to appear in the lower parts, as in the parts where the instruments play low notes. Odd. I'm sure it has something to do with not having a powerful enough computer processor (AMD Athlon II X2 235e, 2.70 GHz, 6 GB memory; 5.75 usable). You'd be surprised at the amount of resources musical sampling demands of your system. My machine may seem more powerful than most based on the stats alone but most professionals have a dedicated computer for each component. I only rely on this one for everything. Yipes! Meh. It's not like I'm pro, or anything, but I am really anal and I DEMAND pro results. Or at least WILL demand pro results once I get to that and dump this long ass "Preview phase," ROFLMAO.

Aaaaack! At any rate!! ON with "At the End of This Daaaaaay."

Full String & Woodwind Sections: http://snd.sc/xTAxsa

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 am

Finally, more progress on "At the End of the Day." Spent a couple of weeks perfecting that darn brass! The result is that it sounds like, well, real brass. I wouldn't settle for anything less.

Apart from that, it gives the music--along with the full string and woodwind sections--a beautiful texture and I love the balance.

The balance in this version, however, isn't well represented here due to my sorry ass mixing (some of the brass is way too loud, but I'll fix it later). Still, it's better than the anniversary thingo, lol.

"At the End of the Day"

http://snd.sc/JMismR

Added instrumentation in this update:

BRASS

-2 French Horns
-3 Trumpets
-2 Trombones

PERCUSSION

-Tubular Bells

And that's still not all! Missing is pretty much all percussion, drums, the 2 DX-7 keyboards, electric/acoustic/bass guitars, and timpani.

The current version contains no synths at all. It's all orchestral instrumentation. Next time you are tempted to buy into the lies that John Cameron's orchestration was all synths, remember what I've posted here today.

Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 am

Yay! I am always excited for your project :)

Thu May 17, 2012 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Quique,

Have you ever worked with a program like NOTION? Might be worth using for a live instrument feel.

B.M.

Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Notion is what was used with the sinfonia thingo thrifty Cammack stuffed into the pit for some time. It's not bad and great for the home musician but for live theatre? What the hell was he thinking? The man is just really good at crushing one's favorite show. I had much to worry about and with good reason...I never would've guessed the show would go through so many permanent changes and ALL of them under the guise of updates or improvements but anyone with a brain can see they are all actually downgrades/reductions/penny pinching.

Meantime, a great work has been lost. Not even MTI offers the original anymore. So sad.

I'll never regret becoming a fan of this show because it has given back so much.

But having it taken away so ruthlessly and shamelessly while having the original creative team snubbed horribly makes me sometimes want to curse the day I ever discovered it. I had no idea the massive let down I'd experience later on. Again, this isn't my life but it's an undeniable huge part of it and it has enriched the entertainment realm of it so many times over and even spilled onto other areas in ways that has even shaped me as a person. It will always be something linked to intense emotion and that magic of the original will always be something I will feel privileged to have had experienced in person numerous times. I've seen the original 28 times and each and every time it felt brand new and I needed time to internalize that the show actually looks that amazing live onstage. That's how unique it is--an experience you can't take home with you. It lives in the theatre and can only be relived through it. To think that magical creation that causes me to feel so much joy and wonder is now trashed openly, altered horribly, and staged so cheaply is just so depressing, grrrr, gRRRR, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

--------------------------------

By the way, I've just completed both DX-7 keyboards and let me just say that what they add to this song is so incredible. The shallow snobs who recoil in horror over being reminded of the 80's are free to recoil in horror. To the rest of you with some semblance of an artistic eye in them can pay attention to the texture and grit they add to the score and the remarkable way they marry well with the unlikely companion of John's orchestral component.

I will add them and post in the next day or so. Stay tuned!

Mon May 28, 2012 8:06 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Can't wait to hear it, Quique! I, for one, am routinely thrilled by those DX-7's. :D

Mon May 28, 2012 9:50 am

Keyboards and some drums and percussion added to "At the End of the Day."

Be sure to read the description pane for further info. In short, I'm not too pleased with it yet, but it's coming along.

*poof*

I shall not rest until it is PERRRRFECT!! This I swear by the STAAAAAARS!!!

:shifty:

EDIT: Decided to pull it after listening to it at higher volume and hearing all sorts of crap I never intended to be there. My ears twitched like you won't believe!!

It's called "Audio Engineers' fatigue," now I'm not exactly what I'd call myself an audio engineer but it is a commonly known term in the recording industry. Basically, when someone, even one with a really astute ear, stays up long hours working on the same track, the mind begins to interpret it differently and sometimes real crap can sound real good. Not that this track sounded good last night but overall it was decent.

I can't believe I even applied a compressor to the whole thing, making it all pop-out like nobody's business, and thinking that sounded "cool." Ay, Mama! My poor ears. :wtf:

*dies for all eternity*

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:10 am

*Comes back to life*

:)

Eeeeeuuuurrreka!!!!

I finally got the correct DX-7 sounds figured out for this song. Omg, John Cameron must have worked on this song alone forever with the amount of thought that went into it. The appropriate sounds at the appropriate times makes a huge difference to these ears. Elements previously concealed due to using the wrong sounds (and my sad amateur mixing :S) are now discernible, even enhanced just by using the intended sounds. They aren't kidding when they say the keyboard sounds can make or break this show. That's part of the reason the 10th anniversary keyboard sounds don't blend in and fail to enhance or add anything unique; a lot of them were replaced with the intention of getting rid of those sounds in the first place and what was used to replace them either stuck out in distracting manner--like the lame sounding harpsichord thing where the awesome "Look Down" growl sounded--or was blended into the existing sound scheme by, duh, emulating the sound of the existing sound scheme (example: patches made to sound like realistic violins, which only made the violin section sound bigger but neglected to take into account the manner in which the original, obvious synth patch served the show, which wasn't created with the intention to beef up anything. It was created for effect!)

At any rate, John has patch changes and combos going on all over the place and I must sort them out then record each one separately as I have no idea how to program the DX-7 emulator so that I only use one that cues and switches patches on its own. There's this dude named Martin that keeps a blog online dedicated to the Les Mis keyboards and their patches. I might have posted the link before. I may need to consult him!

*dives, very much alive, back into his work*

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:59 pm

*See below*

Last edited by Quique on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

*Observes yet another piggie glide across the sky*

I've posted "At the End of the Day"...THE FINAL MIX. :shock:

"At the End of the Day" - http://snd.sc/OuCf9G

That means, yes, it's the first track I've ever completed. Hooray!

It was carefully mixed, meaning I recorded each individual instrument and arranged them in a multi-track editor. There were over 85 tracks!!!! I then mixed down to one stereo track and then mastered it: softened the sharp highs, expanded dynamic range, and added a bit of *shimmer* to the bells and cymbals. Added some "Umph!" to the drums and percussion. It's Ok, I'm just still nit-picking at it, lol. The strings volume get a tad loud toward the end....OK, OK, I'll stop! XD

Can't help it, I'm my own worse critic. Anyway, I'm also going to upload just the string section from this song because I was listening to it just now and could not believe people claim this original orchestration is all synth and no real instruments. Such a multi-layered, rich string ensemble and that's how it is remembered? I won't allow iiiiit!

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:18 am

My completion time has seen vast improvement over the last few weeks. And it was possible due to one very simple approach.

I noticed I tend to lose interest and abandon projects when I get overwhelmed, like most people do. But what was getting me overwhelmed was my tendency to jump around on a whim instead of focusing on one instrument at a time. So, as hard as it initially was, I tried it. It was hard because I'm the type that chooses which instrument to work on based on how I'm feeling. And, yes, it matters because I tend to work better when I'm really feeling it and nothing could top a thoughtful job. Not even a speedier one.

But in forcing myself to try it out to see how focusing on the one at a time approach felt, I found myself reluctant at first in almost every instance but I'd eventually adapt and gain the necessary focus. That's a long way of saying, I had some pretty bad habits bogging me down. ](*,)

So, thanks to a strict one instrument at a time tactic, an old dog has learned a new trick and y'all get the full John Cameron orchestrated version of "Come to Me" and "The Confrontation" without having to wait 3 years, LOL.

More like 3 days. And it will be completely done. It sounds real nifty!!!!!

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:54 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Good news... :thumbup:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next