The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
Les Mis on youtube 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Les Mis on youtube
Someone even pinpointed the date as Tuesday 21/09/1999
Hay, guys, don't stare at me, who even didn’t know the existence of the musical then
Haha

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:13 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Cool, thanks for the info! Now that's precision! I wonder how in the world they figured that out??

Do they do Tuesday matinees? That would explain all the understudies...

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:40 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I found a promo video for the recent production in Quebec:

And here's the Valjean, Gino Quilico singing BBH:

I'm fond of the Bomlo outdoor production as well:

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Still kicking myself for missing that Québec production. And to boot, even with only nine tracks, they managed to record one of the best Les Mis albums to date.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Found a clip of Dudu Fisher singing Bring Him Home in Hebrew from a concert of some sort. He starts singing around 35 seconds into the video

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

From the Madrid 2010 production. I think they did a replica of the 25th Anniversary Tour production?
"Sale el Sol"

Sillas y mesas vacías

And BTW, just saw the clip of the 2008 London Cast.
ABC Cafe/Red and Black/Do You Hear The People Sing?

Well, from what I've seen and heard about David Thaxton, I thought I'd love him as Enjolras, but the chuckle following "the people's man" scared me...Holy Christ, that's not something to be chuckled about. The other time I was shocked by this kind of portrayal was seeing Drew Sarich doing that kind of giggle, which was most horrifying...

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

IMO, the chuckle is necessary, as it forms one of the grounds, if not the only visible ground, for Grantaire's questioning of the real meaning of revolution in "Drink with Me".

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:23 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

jdeng wrote:
IMO, the chuckle is necessary, as it forms one of the grounds, if not the only visible ground, for Grantaire's questioning of the real meaning of revolution in "Drink with Me".

Sorry, but I don't get it. Why is it necessary? The people's man is dead, and even though they find it a sign or an excuse to start a revolution, the first feelings I suppose should come across as mourning and gravity, not somthing amusing? If it's necessary, then does it mean all the other Enjolras who didn't chuckle at this moment were not in character?

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:57 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Neither all revolutionary leaders at any time, probably nor any revolutionary leader at all time only cares about social justice and equality; some of them may always or at some time point care more about making history, well by them as the leader[s].

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

jdeng, I don't see that at all, especially considering the rest of his portrayal... But I also fail to see how it can possibly be interpreted as 'amusement' to be honest. First off all, this bootleg is actually the only recorded time this took place, it was not actually part of his performance (especially not in 09/10), but what was a constant feature was a sense of fanaticism and the fact that this man is actually capable of executing someone by shooting him in the head. There aren't many moments on stage to give this fanaticism that definitely is part of Enjolras's character some room, and LiD is one of them. The quality of the bootleg isn't good enough to judge this, but it was always a very serious moment that was thrilling to the bone, intense, very 'on edge', so knowing that, this very quick laugh is the same kind of stunned laugh you'd give at being completely overwhelmed and shocked at a sudden development - and given that, right before, it was about 'we need a sign to rally the people' etc., i.e. Enjolras's one thought and love, and suddenly this is happening, it's not far-fetched to say that it manifests itself in this one minute in which he's positively losing it for a second. I don't love it with all my heart, but I've listened to a fair share of other 08/09 recordings and was around enough in 09/10 to put it into context with the thrill of that scene. It's not horrible and it certainly doesn't resemble Sarich's LiD in any way, I believe that's blowing things a bit out of proportion, as is judging someone's entire performance by one bit of an early bootleg...

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:01 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Eppie-Sue, thanks for explaining this thoroughly. Though, I did not see my thought very much different from yours. If yes, that means I did not explain myself clearly.

What I meant to say was that the chuckle is an acceptable moment [and appropriate portraying] of this character who cares more about his course than anything else: he got the chance [to rally the people] so suddenly that he could not help chuckling.

About somebody's over desire for making history, I did not imply it being wrong or right, and it does not necessarily have a negative impact on the human beings. There have been great differences among history makers, though, such as Mandela- Ghandi type, Bush-Blair type and Hitler-Stalin type, and many more sub-types.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:29 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Eppie-Sue wrote:
jdeng, I don't see that at all, especially considering the rest of his portrayal... But I also fail to see how it can possibly be interpreted as 'amusement' to be honest. First off all, this bootleg is actually the only recorded time this took place, it was not actually part of his performance (especially not in 09/10), but what was a constant feature was a sense of fanaticism and the fact that this man is actually capable of executing someone by shooting him in the head. There aren't many moments on stage to give this fanaticism that definitely is part of Enjolras's character some room, and LiD is one of them. The quality of the bootleg isn't good enough to judge this, but it was always a very serious moment that was thrilling to the bone, intense, very 'on edge', so knowing that, this very quick laugh is the same kind of stunned laugh you'd give at being completely overwhelmed and shocked at a sudden development - and given that, right before, it was about 'we need a sign to rally the people' etc., i.e. Enjolras's one thought and love, and suddenly this is happening, it's not far-fetched to say that it manifests itself in this one minute in which he's positively losing it for a second. I don't love it with all my heart, but I've listened to a fair share of other 08/09 recordings and was around enough in 09/10 to put it into context with the thrill of that scene. It's not horrible and it certainly doesn't resemble Sarich's LiD in any way, I believe that's blowing things a bit out of proportion, as is judging someone's entire performance by one bit of an early bootleg...

Thanks for the explanation, Eppie-Sue. Basically I like his performance quite a lot except that chuckle. I still don't get it but it's certainly not as horrible as Sarich's LiD. I've heard a little of his bootleg recordings too, and thankfully he didn't do that chuckle in those recordings.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next