The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 69  Next
The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM
DarthxErik wrote:
hahaha these are SO hilarious! I love them.

RAIN METAPHORS. RAIN METAPHORS. RAIN METAPHORS.

Just the other day I met this girl (let's call her shelly) who thought she knew everything about Les Mis because she was Eponine in a les production etc., as was I, but instead of sharing the experience with me she was very possessive about the whole thing... anyway I'm telling another girl who's never seen/heard Les Mis that she should listen to it or watch the concert! I started telling her that she could also wait a couple of years for the movie to come out. Shelly spouts "THERE'S ALREADY A LES MIS MOVIE." *stare*

Yeah, the one with Liam Neeson and Geoffery Rush?! LOL!!

There are actually 2 Les Mis movies. One is the 1998 one you mentioned. Then there is a lesser known one that was made in French in the 30s. It's in black and white and unless you speak fluent French (I'm learning! Slowly... *sigh*) you have to watch it with English subtitles. But it is AMAZING! The actors are SO much better than in the 1998 versoin. Watch the 30s French version!

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:08 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh, there are many more than just those two, as a quick search on IMDB would show: http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=miserables , but the version you mention, directed by the oft-overlooked but highly influential Raymond Bernard (and only available in a box set from Criterion's Eclipse collection with his World War I drama, Wooden Crosses), is easily one of the best out there, and more than likely served as one of the main templates that B&S used to craft the musical way back in the pre-Cammack days.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:15 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: LES MISERABLES! LES MISERABLES!
"So Valjean is getting married to Cosette?"

:shock:

And I get really ticked off as I scroll through the YouTube comments on Les Mis videos and here's what I find (not direct quotes):

"I'm team Eponine! Marius, like, so, totally should have fallen in love with her!"

LES MISERABLES IS NOT TWILIGHT!

There's not really a love triangle in Les Miserables. My idea of a love triangle is that there's one girl (or guy) who's in love with two people and has to chose between them. Les Miserables does not have this. It has Cosette and Marius who are completely in love, and then Eponine's off to the side, pining for Marius.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Melody Rain wrote:
"So Valjean is getting married to Cosette?"

:shock:

And I get really ticked off as I scroll through the YouTube comments on Les Mis videos and here's what I find (not direct quotes):

"I'm team Eponine! Marius, like, so, totally should have fallen in love with her!"

LES MISERABLES IS NOT TWILIGHT!

There's not really a love triangle in Les Miserables. My idea of a love triangle is that there's one girl (or guy) who's in love with two people and has to chose between them. Les Miserables does not have this. It has Cosette and Marius who are completely in love, and then Eponine's off to the side, pining for Marius.

A couple of years ago I would have heavily rolled my eyes at your comment and told you not to get so worked up over single line comments on YouTube.

I was of the opinion that people post thoughtlessly and it doesn't reflect what they really think. Bull.

I've come to realize that people are actually far more honest in spur of the moment commentary. At least it's a good indication of their true first impression and that's really what matters and dictates whether or not they'll give something another try. Yeah, people could convince someone otherwise but that usually takes a lot and not just one angry fan.

And I've been that fuming, outraged, scolding fan far too many times on YouTube and other sites, lol. And no, I don't get like that over disagreements but I go nuts when someone utters a disrespectful, highly uncalled for remark towards a cast member or someone connected to a production of the show. That makes my blood boil because it's usually very cruel.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just some typical Eppybopper Cosette bashing from Youtube, but it brings up an angle I don't think we've covered yet.

Quote:
I've always taught Cosette was too prissy and high maintenance and love Eponine's strength and loyalty.

The obvious spelling error aside, how does this make sense? Since when does Cosette come across as "prissy and high maintenance" in the musical? Or even in the Brick, though more of a case for the "high maintenance" part can be made there, what with her devotion to fashion and all. I looked up the word "prissy" on Dictionary.reference.com and the definition is "excessively proper; affectedly correct; prim" or "fussy and prim, esp. in a prudish way." That doesn't sound like the Cosette I know, yet I've read quite a few Eppyboppers, not just this one, describe her as "prissy." I suppose they automatically label her that just because she dresses nicely. A typical case of Real Women Never Wear Dresses, I guess.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah, that's a really old one but I think it has more to do with the way sopranos are perceived as opposed to belty types. Sopranos are automatically thought of as having received better music and singing education and are often thought of as more 'proper.' Sometimes it's understandable other times not. It's one thing to get that she's refined and another to assume she's a wuss.

Slightly off topic but speaking of the YouTube crowd, I don't know where a lot of them get that Eponine is a "woman" or a "lady". She a friggen teenager. Comes to show they aren't too familiar with theatre and take everything at face value like in the movies.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:57 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

And the unusual, funniest[?], version was Belmondo's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6um3ZIvNw9I

Thom_Boyer wrote:
Oh, there are many more than just those two, as a quick search on IMDB would show: http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=miserables , but the version you mention, directed by the oft-overlooked but highly influential Raymond Bernard (and only available in a box set from Criterion's Eclipse collection with his World War I drama, Wooden Crosses), is easily one of the best out there, and more than likely served as one of the main templates that B&S used to craft the musical way back in the pre-Cammack days.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:59 am

The following ranks as one of the single most outrageous Les Mis comments I've ever read:

We're still open at all today, thanks to Susan Boyle.

- Cameron Mackintosh.

*Goes for a stroll* :-"

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Here's another on said by Camron. "I would love to hear Justin Bieber sing ‘Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.' Please spread the word that he'd be more than welcome in the show."

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Justin ... I.facebook I'm not kidding he really said that.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Quique wrote:

- Cameron Mackintosh.

Yakko wrote:
Here's another on said by Camron. "I would love to hear Justin Bieber sing ‘Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.' Please spread the word that he'd be more than welcome in the show."

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Justin ... I.facebook I'm not kidding he really said that.

...I don't want to live anymore.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Quique wrote:
The following ranks as one of the single most outrageous Les Mis comments I've ever read:

- Cameron Mackintosh.

*Goes for a stroll* :-"

Yakko wrote:

:o :o :shock: Excuse me, I need to go find a blunt heavy instrument...

Current roles: Emcee (Cabaret)
Upcoming: Auditioning for Les Miz

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:04 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Every time I think about the idea of Justin Bieber playing Marius, the good ol' Canadian instinct hitherto dormant inside me kicks up and I want to say:

SORRY FOR YOUR TRAUMA

At least there's been no lobbying for Avril Lavigne as Eponine, or Celine Dion as Fantine. But you never know, CamMack may lose it yet!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 69  Next