The Resource For Musicals

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
1972 London Cast 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post 1972 London Cast
Does anyone own a copy of this recording of Joseph? It happens to be on the RSO label and features Gary Bond as Joseph and (apparently) Peter Reeves. It happens that the 1973 MCA version of Joseph featured some of the performers from this version. However, do you know which songs happen to be on this recording? I'm wondering if I could determine which numbers were written when.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:37 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: 1972 London Cast
Yip1982 wrote:
Does anyone own a copy of this recording of Joseph? It happens to be on the RSO label and features Gary Bond as Joseph and (apparently) Peter Reeves. It happens that the 1973 MCA version of Joseph featured some of the performers from this version. However, do you know which songs happen to be on this recording? I'm wondering if I could determine which numbers were written when.

At the time of this recording none of the completely new numbers had been written. But a lot of the existing ones had reached there full length. Also it is the first production to have most of the character lines sung by the character, rather than as naration as in the consortium recording where only Joseph, and Pharoe (and then only during "Song Of The King") sing their own words.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I remember reading somewhere that this 1972 staging didn't include the three pastiches for the brothers (i.e. One More Angel, Those Canaan Days, Benjamin Calypso). However, did this production by chance include something like Pharaoh's Dream Explained (the reprise of Joseph's Coat), Pharaoh Story and Grovel Grovel? I've wondered if I could find out more about which songs were introduced when...

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I remember reading somewhere that this 1972 staging didn't include the three pastiches for the brothers (i.e. One More Angel, Those Canaan Days, Benjamin Calypso). However, did this production by chance include something like Pharaoh's Dream Explained (the reprise of Joseph's Coat), Pharaoh Story and Grovel Grovel? I've wondered if I could find out more about which songs were introduced when...

I'm not sure about Grovel Grovel, but Stone The Crows is at full length. On the subject of Pharaohs Dreams Explained, there has never been a recording that didn't include it. It was written in the few months between the original school perfomance, and the St pauls performance/Consortium recording.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart, ALW, Jerry Herman
Main Role: Fan
I understand this 1972 recording is the one used for the Granada TV broadcast (which doesn't have One More Angel In Heaven, Those Caanan Days, or Benjamin Calypso). I can't be sure but it sounds as if it is the same thing. The Granada broadcast uses the Decca recording - is this the same one?

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

louisecp72 wrote:
I understand this 1972 recording is the one used for the Granada TV broadcast (which doesn't have One More Angel In Heaven, Those Caanan Days, or Benjamin Calypso). I can't be sure but it sounds as if it is the same thing. The Granada broadcast uses the Decca recording - is this the same one?

No the Decca recording is the St Pauls version that dates from 1968

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

mantarnia wrote:
louisecp72 wrote:

Thanks very much for clarifying that mantarnia!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

louisecp72 wrote:
mantarnia wrote:
louisecp72 wrote:

Thanks very much for clarifying that mantarnia!

I have just found out from wiki that it was the 1972 version that was televised by Granada. But you have been misinformed because the recording is by RSO, not Decca.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks for that correction - I know there were a few versions released around the same time and it is good to know which was which ... certainly the CD which is available does sound the same as the 1972 TV broadcast but with additional songs which were presumably not recorded then (One More Angel In Heaven, Benjamin Calypso).

Oddly the Really Useful Company website implies there was only ever one filmed version of Joseph, the Donny Osmond one!

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
^ That's actually not odd behavior on their part. The way the Really Useful website tells it, Jesus Christ Superstar was first made into a film in 2000. :roll: (wanders off muttering about Webber and "control freak")

Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:15 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]