The Resource For Musicals

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Piano/Conductor's Score 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Piano/Conductor's Score
This is for people who have done "Joseph" before. I was wondering if the piano/conductor's score that was sent was the "new" production version or the original broadway version?

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Original broadway version
I've just begun rehearsals for Joseph. The score R&H sent most closely resembles the 1974 recording. It is a watered-down, uninteresting shadow of what we've all come to expect from Joseph over the last twenty years. The dramatic modulation and choral a cappella in "Close Every Door" is missing, the fun and playful finale in "Go Go Joseph" is missing. Also missing is the dance music for "One More Angel," the tango in "Those Canaan Days," the megamix, some cool song introductions, some cool segues, and tons of harmony (most of the childrens choir stuff is written unison, even though it's 3-part on the recordings. There are many bizarre and awkward key changes, odd vocal ranges, etc.. In short, R&H sent me Joseph, minus all the improvements made over the last two decades! I haven't been able to get any information as to why this would be...apparently I'm the only musical director that has experienced this, or that is bothered by it! The audience is going to come to the show expecting to hear the songs they've heard on multiple recordings, the "Donny" dvd, and in live performances...and if I do the show as written in my score, I am *guaranteed* to disappoint my audience. The alternative is to spend hour after hour altering and adapting the vocal, piano and orchestral music to approximate what should've come from R&H in the first place! Does anyone know if there's another set of scores out there for the "current" version (meaning the version that's been performed and recorded since 1982)?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:39 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm having the same problem with the Joseph I am music directing. The score is a useless mess. It's going to take me days to parse out what's missing and then to write it out for my cast - all before we start rehearsals next week. I guess I don't understand what other theaters have been doing - is there another version of the score generally available somewhere? If anyone has already done this work, would they be willing to share? Thanks.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Wondering if R+H has changed their practice since this question was posted. In 2010, R+H sent along the 1993 U.K. Tour version along with the option Megamix. They send the piano/conductor's score as well as the full orchestrations. The orchestra includes a bunch of synths, guitars, bass, drums, percussion, as well as two reed books, horn, and a quartet of strings. There are no saxes, trumpets or any other brass instruments in this production.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]