The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Best Louise? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

When I saw Gypsy on broadway, I actually saw Benanti's understudy (it is Jessica Rush), and thought she did a fantastic job; I'd say she's easily the best that I've seen.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I really like Crista Moore's singing voice, and the way her speaking voice changes as her character changes; she develops a "stripper voice" lol
But I thought Natalie Wood was pretty good.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I gave Benanti another chance in Gypsy. but she was just as stagey and poor as she was in ITW and Nine.

Not only that, but I don't think she understood the part very well. She ruined the dressing room scene preceding Rose's Turn by gutterally screaming at Rose. That turned me off completely, which is a shame because that's my favorite dialogue scene in the show. But then again, most aspects of the LuPone revival turned me off.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Apples, I just realized that your avatar is video game sprites of the Golden Girls. That might just be the most epic thing ever. I'm not even kidding.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Apples, I just realized that your avatar is video game sprites of the Golden Girls. That might just be the most epic thing ever. I'm not even kidding.

Thank you; I'm glad you liked it!

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Salome wrote:
I gave Benanti another chance in Gypsy. but she was just as stagey and poor as she was in ITW and Nine.

Not only that, but I don't think she understood the part very well. She ruined the dressing room scene preceding Rose's Turn by gutterally screaming at Rose. That turned me off completely, which is a shame because that's my favorite dialogue scene in the show. But then again, most aspects of the LuPone revival turned me off.

Actually, that was one of my favorite Benanti moments. Very refreshing. Usually, yelling is the "safe" choice in an argument, but in this case, given every other performance of the role before Benanti, it was not. That scene alone won her the TONY, I guarantee you.

Mind you, when I first saw the production, and saw her understudy, Jessica Rush, the "gutterally screamed" lines were done in a more pleading manner, and it was just as fabulous. I hate that almost every other Louise I've ever seen (including every actress listed in the beginning of the topic) just throws those lines away, like a goddamned robot. Benanti and Rush, under the direction of Laurents, were actually fighting for something. They got it right.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

I think the brilliance of this clip speaks for itself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9O0hXNK ... re=related

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post GYPSY --> Dressing Room Scene with LuPone and Benanti
Jman383 wrote:
I think the brilliance of this clip speaks for itself.

I think it might if it really was brilliant. Yes, there are interesting proposals made here, but they aren't distilled into choices, leaving this reading of the scene feeling contrived and placed, when it should be spontaneous and explosive. Frankly, it looks very drama school to me: LuPone, Benanti and Laurents have made it all about 'the acting' instead of making it all about the character and the (dramatic) action.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:32 pm
Profile WWW

And yet you act as though there's been a better staging of the scene on Broadway, or any other professional production for that matter. Everything I've seen of the scene, including the '93 movie, the 2003 revival, and clips from various productions in LA, have been extraordinarily weak in comparison.

Oh, and for the record, it isn't contrived in the least bit. I know, I saw it three times, separately, at different points in the run. It changed every single time. The only "staged" moment is when LuPone whips the make-up off of the desk. Besides that, and of course the actual blocking, it's very genuine.

Sat May 01, 2010 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2