The Resource For Musicals

Godspell Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Monologue for Godspell? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Monologue for Godspell?
Hey, my college is doing auditions for Godspell and we are required to audition with a monologue in addition to a song. I'm fairly clueless and would really appreciate some suggestions. Male and female suggestions would by quite appreciated.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I can only answer in vague generalities, but you'll want a comedic monologue incorporating a narrative. There's not a whole lot of "dialogue" in Godspell, it's mostly parables with the ensemble either narrating, playing a character, or reacting to the lesson. A serious dramatic monologue might demonstrate your dramatic acting skills, but the show calls for triple threat comedians. Even the Jesus character, who encounters the drama of dying and being tempted, can't be overwhelmingly serious.

To that end, you could paraphrase a nursery rhyme or a fable. You needn't worry about male or female differentiation, since the females of the show will surely be called on to enact "men" during the parables. In fact, it might be good for a female to recite or tell a traditionally masculine story.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Monologue for Godspell?
I'm extremely late, but I stumbled upon this page while searching for MY Godspell audition monologue, and since there weren't any specific answers, I'd thought I'd chime in for a recommendation in case any one finds themselves in my position. The website http://freedrama.net/small1c.html has presented quite a few good-looking comedic monologues. I'm currently very conflicted between Protecto (Kid Hero), Cassandra, and MASTER.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Monologue for Godspell?
Just thought I'd chime in. You can find a lot of really good monologues for auditions here.

Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]