The Resource For Musicals

Godspell Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Portrayals of Jesus & Robin... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Portrayals of Jesus & Robin...
Dear Godspellers,

If you were in a production of "Godspell," or if you have seen a production of "Godspell," was Jesus portrayed as being very calm and peaceful, or was he portrayed as being very lively and enthusiastic? Was he portrayed as being silly, or was he portrayed as being, more or less, rational?

In addition, did he seem to be closer to Robin than to everyone else, and did he seem to have even a slightly romantic relationship with Robin (in the emotional sense, more or less)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Huh I never really saw jesus having a romantic connection wth anyone in the show. I am sure i couldbe portrayted that way in shows but I have neverseen it done that way.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:44 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

He was more peaceful & calm, energetic when the mood called for it, but usually the voice of reason. He still had a very strong presence, but didn't have an all over the place energy.

As for his connection with Robin, I guess I just never saw it if it was there.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He was more peaceful & calm, energetic when the mood called for it, but usually the voice of reason. He still had a very strong presence, but didn't have an all over the place energy.

Ditto all of that.

We didn't have any romance between Robin and Jesus. There aren't really any romances between the characters, other than Sonia, and even her flirtations aren't serious.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:53 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Jesus needs to have HUGE energy, Schwartz says " Jesus must always be the centre of attention. This does not mean he is always dancing, shouting, or being silly it means he has a confident , calm and authoritative air about him that causes others to always want to be around him"
As for a "romance" between Jesus and Robin... Not in the sexual nature your referring to , this would take away from the message of Godspell.
Don't get me wrong Godspell is a love story, but not in that sense. The Love that needs to be centre is a love for one another and most importantly a love and respect for Jesus.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:39 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm directing Godspell this spring, (student-run) and Jesus is VERY charismatic, and very human almost. He isn't trying to be above everyone else, but more or less guiding them, on their level. So yes, my Jesus has LOTS of energy.

As for Robin... I've decided to play their relationship up. I feel that it's quite prevalent through the script that there is some kind of relationship there, either her being the most devout of the followers, or them actually having a romantic connection (like Mary Mag. and Jesus as some would say). Actually, I'm even having her sing "On the Willows" towards the end of the 2nd act as he says his goodbyes to the rest of the followers and makes his way to her... the last of them, which is the most emotional goodbye.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

You know, I've noticed that there does seem to be a special bond between Robin and Jesus.

But I think it has more to do with the fact she's the first one to dedicate herself to him... and the fact that Day by Day is played again (and again, and again, and again). It makes their connection seem stronger than with the others.

Ironically, this year my Jesus and Robin played The Baker and The Baker's Wife.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I would agree there's a bond, but I think it's more along the lines of John, of the Zebedees (and his brother James), who is referred to scripturally as The Disciple Jesus Loved.

Matthew 17:1 says, "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves." Because of their favored relationship with Jesus, James and John sought special position.

Jesus' answer to them was meant to show them that they had the wrong idea of what His kingdom would be like and to point out to them that, although they might want honored places with Christ, they needed to understand that following Christ meant signing up to suffer or endure trials in service to Him and to others.

John, as an apostle of Jesus, not only wrote his eye-witness account of experiences with Christ which were recorded in his gospel, but also wrote the books of 1 John, 2 John, 3 John and the book of Revelation - John's vision of judgment for the wicked and hope for the future of believers.

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/disc ... ed-faq.htm

Just some food for thought.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm Robin right now in Godspell and Jesus and I hold hands for most of Day By Day and share a moment during the applause and don't have another moment till Jesus removes our bracelets (instead of face paint we put on bracelets) during Day By Day reprise and he takes mine off last. I'm also the last to say goodbye and I have the longest goodbye. We are the two closest characters!

Previously:
Crystal-Little Shop of Horrors
Robin-Godspell
Chorus-Footloose
Peppermint Patty-Your A Good Man, Charlie Brown
Jacks Mother-Into The Woods

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer

I never noticed anything in any other productions or even in ours that suggested a relationship.

But shortly after the show the teacher playing Robin ran off with the kid playing Jesus.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Portrayals of Jesus & Robin...
In the production that a few of my friends were in, the actors who played Jesus and Robin were actually brother and sister. So the relationship thing woulda been a bust.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]