The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Very Nervous 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Very Nervous
We are doing Forum at our school...and I really want to play Psuedolus--but I have some pretty stiff competition...but I do believe I am the most suited for the part, and if I play the angle right...I think I can get it...

What would you think the best song to sing would be? I am a Tenor, however I do have a lower range--and I want to show I can sing low notes too...

But the singing is not so much my concern, its the acting... I have to be better than the greatest person in our department...and He undoubatedly has the greatest stage prescence I have ever seen. Although, he is not... umm... He doesnt look like the role, where as I---do. How can I play the character right? What would be your decision.

Auditions are in a month, And I am already SHAKING....God, I dont know what its going to be like when it comes.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Firstly what is right look for the part??? Psuedolus is a great part but can be played by anyone who can carry it. I have seen it played by a Girl who was fantastic. Psuedolus carrys the show from start to finish He is really the only main lead in the show everyone else bounces off of him. If you are the sort of person who can walk on stage and keep the stage active for 2 hours plus then you are the right person. The songs are not easy but they keep you on your toes and the script is non stop. I found the best way was at all times keep the audiance involved in evrything I was doing little asides to them made them feel as if they were a part of the show rather than just watching. The script allows you to do this without turning the part into a Pantomime Dame. As for the song I would suggest "Everybody ought to have a maid" it's not a solo but you can make it one for the purpose of an audition. It's also a song that is fairly easy to learn and has the right amount of comedy to put the part over. I really wish you the best of luck I had so much fun doing the part although I was very very tired at the end of it (we did it for 18 performances). Good Luck and keep me informed.

Psudelus - Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum
Judus - JC
Pirate King - Pirates Of Penzance

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:44 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I agree with the previous poster that Pseudolus doesn't necessarily need to look a certain way to be able to pull it off. Pseudolus is about having, as you are rightly threatened by, a great stage presence and great comedic timing. If Pseudolus has those two things, he's basically a show-stealer. Also, a charismatic voice certainly never hurt anyone ;). What makes you so sure that you're right for Pseudolus? Just your look? If that's your reasoning, I would tell you to be careful about falling into that trap. A lot of actors and actresses get their hearts set on roles without much reason besides for 'I have the right look.' When I tried out for this show, I had my sights set on Philia because I had blue eyes, blond hair, and a lyric soprano voice. Lo and behold, a tanned, dark eyed, dark haired mezzo got it because she was a senior. High school shows are 99% of the time politics-related. Personally, if you're a tenor I think that Hero would be a wonderful part. Don't be fooled by the Pseudolus-is-the-lead kind of thing, because Hero and even Hysterium are also wonderful parts. Best of luck :)

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:50 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
this thread is from December..their show has come and gone. :roll:

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]