The Resource For Musicals

Crazy For You Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Auditioning for Polly/Irene 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Auditioning for Polly/Irene
I would love to be the lead role (Polly) but I'm not the best dancer. Actually, I'm not very good at tap dancing and I've heard that Irene doesn't tap dance in the show, is that true? I would like to try out for the role of Irene but everytime I read the synopsis she's mentioned about twice. Which songs is she in, what is her range, is she a prominent role in the show? I was just wondering what the benefits are to being Irene. Also, if anyone has any audition tips (my auditions are next week!) they would be greatly appreciated.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Hey there! I was in CFY a few years ago, as Everett Baker (Polly's father) and the show is really fun! It's just fluff though, it's not serious MT, just good fun.

As for Irene, she's a GREAT role! She's the 2nd female lead. Her song is "Naughty Baby" and it's a belt song. It mainly goes to Bb's, and maybe has a C here and there, but it should all be belted. As for her dancing, no, she doesn't dance at ALL. In "Naughty Baby" there might be a strip tease or something, depending on your director, but no tapping for sure.

As for her role in the show, she's in it throughout consistantly. She's Bobby's fiance from NYC, and she follows him to Nevada to make SURE he marries her. She's pushy, whiny, bitchy, stuck up, rude, and glamorous. Think Karen Walker from Will and Grace. That'd be the best way to describe her. She does NOT get along with Polly, and she's ALWAYS arguing with Lank, the saloon owner.

If you want, vids of my production are here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... A1BAF640CD

You can see her dialogue in the scenes: "I Can't Be Bothered Now", and "Tonight's the Night" as well.

Granted, our Irene was NOT the best singer at all, so her Naughty Baby isn't the best, but this one is pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5qzIcRB ... annel_page

Hope this helps! :)

Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:56 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
Irene is a great role! As Jman said Irene is important throughout the show. It is a comic foil role. Irene (the socialite from New York) is engaged to Bobby, the lead, but he isn't interested in her. She finally falls for the rough, uncultured saloon keeper from Deadrock, Nevada. Along the way there is a lot of comedy. Every production I've seen (including Broadway) there is no strip tease, just a lot of room for brash, come hither, fun. Everyone I've known who's played Irene has had a great time with the role.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:44 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Thanks!
Thank you so much, that really helped :) Any tips for auditioning for the part of Irene? I'm a very ambitious freshman so getting a lead role won't be easy at all, any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post New messages please!
Hello =D My auditions are this Thursday and any good audition tips, especially tips for this role would be greatly appreciated. I know that I have a lot of really good competition so any help would be greatly appreciated, please reply, thank you! :)

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Main Role: Fan
The big number the'll be casting for is "Naughty Baby". You can probably find videos of that number on YouTube. Pick an audition number from your existing repertiore that characterizes that feeling best. You probably don't have time to learn and perfect a new song this quickly so go with something you know you can perform well. Also, read this thread: http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54004 Good Luck!

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:42 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you! Yes, they specifically require anyone trying out for Irene to sing "Naughty Baby" at the auditions, I just want to set how I sing it apart from everyone else, because its only an excerpt from the end of it so any tiny little audition tips and tricks on how to audition well, especially since I have an acting audition where girls can only read for Polly Baker, and a tap-dancing audition as well, so I really want to stand out because so many people are trying out and I want the directors to remember my audition (not infamously of course =)

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Well for starters, belt the whole thing out. In high school, this will separate you immediately. Make sure it's sexy, playful and fun. Have a good smile on your face and just get into it :)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Hey Destiny! It's your Silly Dino #1, Alyssa! I'm so glad to see you've made it onto MdN. I'm super pumped for our Irene auditions!

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:46 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Hello!
Hello Alyssa, silly dino #1 and omnomnom to you too! I'm so looking forward to auditions, and thank you to everyone who posted their comments on this, I really do appreciate it and will take what I've learned and do my very best. Thank you! :-)

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:21 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Any news on this? I'm interested to see how it went.

When I played Polly, I barely danced at all. Tiny little bit in "Shall We Dance" and "Embraceable You", but usually just ran behind Bobby and the Follies girls and boogied.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:58 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Auditioning for Polly/Irene
hello, I am Lester Jewit Most recently from Kansas, originally from Kansas City and have lived there most of my life.

I enjoy my free time,I love all cold weather , specially the winter and snow!

Business has been a part of my life for the last few years and most recently primarily on the World Wide Web.

I seem to be drawn to technology and love all the high tech gadgets out there.
With the economy as tough as it is right now, more and more people are seeking help from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from their experience. Just ask if you need to know something from me.

I am a retired manager in the field of Engineering project management.

check out some new website , or a dealer plates
the best replacement tv or car auctions if your projector is broken try replacing the auto dealership

Learning about new things is one of my passions.

when possible I volunteer for for valid causes that help children.

Its great to be a part of this Website and Will learn something new here.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]