The Resource For Musicals

Crazy For You Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Help for Tess! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Help for Tess!
I was cast for Tess just recently in our production of Crazy For You. What exactly does this role require? How much does she dance? How much does she sing? Does she ever dance with Bobby? How many times does she have to kiss Bella? I've been trying to get my hands on a script, but we don't start rehersing for another 3 months!

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

http://libretto.musicals.ru/text.php?te ... language=1

congrats on a fun role!

Bobby Child- Crazy For You
Willard-Footloose
Srgnt. of Police- Pirates of Penzance

Current Role:
A Chorus Line
42nd Street-andy lee

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My mother was cast as Tess. To sum it up without having to read the script, she has a few lines (including the first one in the show, which is always fun) and about 3 or 4 small solos. How much she dances depends on the director. When my mother (who isn't really much of a dancer and much more of an actress) was in the show, she wasn't in the Follies Girl numbers and was just in the full cast numbers. However, with other directors the role's dancing may differ. Whether she dances with Bobby also depends on the director. She doesn't have to kiss Bela a lot, but once again, it depends on the director.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the approximate age for Tess- I am auditionhing for a community theatre production of this show, and I have or my eye set on Tess but don't know if I am old enough not.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:30 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Tess is the dance captain, so I'd say she's a little bit older than the Follies Girls, but no older than early 30's. Beth Leavel originated the role in the 90s, so that should be a good indicator. She was quite young I believe actually, so the role just depends on the director and the quality of the performer.

And yes, I've seen it done both ways with Tess. When my school did it, she was our best dancer, and had many, many dance solos. But, I've also heard of her not really dancing all that much, and just used for her singing/acting abilities. It's just up to the director.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I played Tess -- with the original Stro choreography -- and absolutely loved it! In our staging of the show, Tess was the "Follies" dance captain and the lead dancer in all the girls' numbers. I was also the real dance captain for the production -- a bit of art imitating life, I suppose. My dancing with Bobby was mostly with the other Follies girls, plus a short solo/duet in "Bothered" and "Slap That Bass." As far as kissing Zangler, there's a bit at the top of Act II where he kisses Tess up her arm and down her neck, and she resists his advances. It's "comic kissing" on his part, but both of them never share a "real" kiss.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]