The Resource For Musicals

Cabaret Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
If You Could See Her 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: If You Could See Her
the like was "jewish" not "meeskite' in the original production...the line used meeskite on the OBC as a censorship. the published script from 1967 has the "jewish" line and an astrix saying meeskite can be stubstituted. i prefer "jewish" as it give a more chilling end to the number.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I was wondering.

In some productions, the Emcee is wearing a pink triangle in addition to the yellow star on his uniform at the end. The pink triangle would imply that he was a homosexual. How then, if at all, does this affect the number?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I might not be the best person to answer this, having only seen the show and the film once, but I look at the gorilla representation as being a metaphor for 'ugliness' - to be more specific, ugliness as perceived in whatever sense by the onlooker.

I've never interpreted the line: 'she wouldn't look Jewish at all', as insinuating that Jews look like monkeys etc. I agree with Donbinau that it is all about satire against Hitler's antisemitism, NOT that it is antisemitic itself. I see it as Emcee making the point that being Jewish was seen by Hitler and the Nazi regime as an entirely ugly trait, and in context of the time period, it was a very dangerous point to be making.

It does also begs the question whether Emcee making the point to us, the audience - speaking to us in modern times? Or whether he maintains the fourth wall and is instead speaking to the Kit Kat Club's audience. If the latter, I think it adds a whole extra dimension of bravery and depth to his character. I guess in a way, it would be similar, in a sense, to what Gordon did in "V for Vendetta".

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Main Role: Performer
he most definately is speaking ot the kit ckat club audience..which as you said adds a whole other layer to his character.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

LaVieBoheme wrote:
I guess it's just the fact that it's a guy dancing with a monkey who then turns round and says "If they could see her through my eyes she wouldn't look Jewish at all". Implying Jewish people look like monkeys is bound to cause people to see it as anti-Semetic.

But yeah i see your point. that's why i find it strange that so many "White Pride" groups have "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" as their 'anthem'. :?

lol really do they? I guess that's because they are all stupid and don't understand the irony. No it most definitely is not anti-semitic - that piece is parodying the Nazi's and their idiotic notions of race purity etc.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
I think what makes any kind of controversy in the song absolutely silly is that the joke itself isn't even remotely anti-semetic-- the joke is that we're meant to presume the issue with their relationship is that she's, well, an ape. The Emcee even goes great lengths to mislead us ("I understand your objections, I'll grant you the problem's not small"), only to tell us that the actual issue with this relationship is not that she's an ape, but that she's Jewish. Joke being that being Jewish in Germany is a harder thing to get around than it is being an ape (it's actually really complex, which is why the censorship of the original production really frustrates me).

Mind you, I could never quite tell what side the EmCee was on this, at least in the film. There's certainly a lot of evidence to suggest he's against the rise of Nazism and in a way represents a sort of subversive resistance...but at the same time he's clearly meant to represent Berlin's hedonistic escapism that the film directly posits as the cause for said rise. Of course, it's entirely possible he has no side (choosing instead to stand idly by and laugh), which in the eyes of the film would be the most damning thing about him.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2