The Resource For Musicals

Cabaret Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Is there any way to get the rights to the '98 Revival? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Is there any way to get the rights to the '98 Revival?
Tams-Witmark only has the rights to the original and the '87 versions, sans "Maybe This Time" and "Mien Herr"

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:45 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Sun May 10, 2009 6:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ugh, i want them to release the rights to this version sooo badly

Mon May 11, 2009 12:03 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

well, hell - community theatre can put it on as close as possible - so long as you dont advertise that you're doing it. one person i heard saying their theatre did the show and they used Maybe This Time from the vocal selections and did it with just piano.

Upcoming Auditions:

NONE - for now...

Tue May 12, 2009 7:32 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I don't think the book itself is very different from the 87 version. If you wanted to do it badly enough, it would just be a matter of taking out and adding in songs. If you have a talented enough orchestra that can fake through songs you only have piano sheet music to, then you can easily do it.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but we're doing Cabaret at the end of the year and a script landed on my desk the other day - and it contains both Mein Herr and Maybe This Time. It's all legit - the script came from Tams-Witmark and we're certainly licensed to put the show on, so maybe something has changed, or else maybe professional rights include the songs?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:26 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
I don't think the book itself is very different from the 87 version. If you wanted to do it badly enough, it would just be a matter of taking out and adding in songs. If you have a talented enough orchestra that can fake through songs you only have piano sheet music to, then you can easily do it.

Doing so would be all kinds of illegal. You can only do the revival if you have the script kiwi seems to have.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

It would seem that my last post on this subject was slightly mis-informed. Tams-Witmark do NOT license a version of the show including Mein Herr and Maybe This Time; the script I had was a perusal script not from Tams-Witmark - but I'm afraid I don't know where it came from. It turns out that you CAN get the rights to the revival version (I don't know where from though) but you have to do the show exactly as it was done in that version - so essentially re-mount the show, just with your own cast. We're not doing that version, due to not wanting to do a re-mount, so we're back to the '87 version. The book is nearly identical - some slight dialogue changes but really nothing major at all.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]