The Resource For Musicals

Cabaret Forum

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Finale Ending? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Finale Ending?
How does the Finale in the revival end? Ie what is the final scene? Can anyone tell me in detail please? Thanks!

Sat May 13, 2006 2:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Cliff just left on a train to Paris, escaping the Nazis. Then the Emcee came onstage, still imploring us to forget everything bad.

"In here, life... is beautiful," he said, painfully whispering the 'beautiful.'

"The girls...are beautiful. Even the orchestra is beautiful."

And he gestured; the lights focused on where the band should have been. But there wasn't any. Yet the music continued, the wall in front of the set fell away.

The set disappeared; the cast stood, shadowy and dim.
And then there was light. Not ordinary light, but a stark white light, one so pure yet so alone that you couldn't tell if it was a heaven or another place that you were seeing.

The increasingly discordant music built to a terrifying roar; the only sounds were an ominous rumbling that seemed to crawl inside you and a violin shrieking.

The violin stopped. All you could see was shadows and white light. All you could hear was the rumbling.

Then there was silence.

"Auf weidersehen," the Emcee said.

"A bientot....."

Then, slowly, he took off his coat. He was wearing the clothes of a prisoner, a concentration camp prisoner.

The drumroll sounded. The cymbals clashed. And then there was darkness.

Sun May 14, 2006 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you for that! I wish I had photos! Is that just how the revival do it, or the original? Do you know how the other one did it?

I dont understand what you mean by the wall in front of the set falls away?

And I know what you mean about the noise etc, as I heard the finale track on the revival, and it's scary!

I also wonder why the Emcee sounds so sad when introducing Sally for the song "Cabaret".

Sun May 14, 2006 4:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

That's what it says in the revival script. I guess there was a wall seperating the MC from the rest of the cast who were in the light and it was dismantled.

In the original, the cast 'echoed' some of their previous lines over discordanr music, reminding us that our troubles were far from forgotten. Schultz said 'Children...on their way to schools. Nothing more...You understand?"

Sally sang a verse of Cabaret and disappeared. (From cradle to tomb isn't that long a stay...)

Then the MC said "Auf Weidersehen. A Bientot. Goodnight."

Sun May 14, 2006 4:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I guess he's sad because Cliff got beaten up and Sally had just aborted her baby, completely wrecking their relationship and for Sally, her life.

Sun May 14, 2006 4:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I saw it last night (community theatre, not Broadway or anything) and I was on the edge of my seat, clutching my friend's hand at the end, waiting for the concentration camp uniform thing, and it never happened. I'm a huge WW II buff, so the concentration camp thing means a whole lot to me, and my heart was just pounding waiting for the the reveal, and it didn't happen.

Wed May 24, 2006 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Wed May 24, 2006 6:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

All the characters came onstage wearing long-ish coats, two Nazis (Ludwig and Max, I believe) came on stage and kind of goose-stepped/corralled them into centre stage, where they stood, looking weary and desolate (I think they were going for the concentration camp idea here). The Emcee was downstage left, and just before the scrim came in (in front of the group of characters), Sally stepped out from the group (wearing a little black dress) and sang "Finale" in front of the scrim with everyone in a tableau behind her.

And then the curtain call.

Does that make any sense? Has anyone else seen it end like that?

Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

When I was the Emcee we did the prisoner clothes. The gasp from the audience was awesome.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:11 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

We did it where the Emcee stepped in front of a pair of curtains used at the opening. The cast was behind the curtain. Then the Emcee pulled the string and shut the curtains. The audience could see that the curtains had 2 enormous closed eyes on them.

The drumroll began. At the cymbal clash at the end, the Master of Ceremonies opened the curtains...

Everyone was face down on the stage, dead. Faint wisps of stage smoke (it seeped onstage when the curtains shut) could be seen.

Then there was darkness. And I had nightmares that night.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The way we're doing it at Ogunquit Playhouse is that the Emcee is in front of the door wall. He's next to Cliff, and he and Cliff sing "Wilkomenn". He takes over singing the song and proceeds to talk to the audience ("Where are your troubles now..." etc). As the orchestra is playing (it's a recording of the orchestra), the door walls are pushed back to reveal the rest of the cast in a gas chamber. The drum roll begins and when the cymbal crashes, the Emcee takes off his leather jacket and hat to reveal a Jewish POW camp outfit and smoke fills in the cabaret.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:03 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I saw a production of this show almost five year ago, so I don't remember much about it, but I do remember the ending (fairly) vividly. I believe that they did the whole "prisoner" thing with the Emcee, but here's the kicker . . . They had actual footage of concentration camp prisoners being tortured, being murdered, having their bodies being dragged, just horribly stuff . . . and they played it on a screen onstage. Not only did they have it on a screen, they had it on the walls of the theatre, so no matter where you looked you were forced to look at it. And then at the very end, the Emcee sat in front of the screen, and they flashed a Dante quote, "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."

Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next