The Resource For Musicals

A Chorus Line Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
LARRY... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post LARRY...
I'm auditioning for this show, and am curious in the role of Larry. I know he is Zach's assistant,but does he sing, have any lines, or dance alot? A good detailed outline of the character would be appreciated. Also, which voice part is he? Thanks.

Peace, JackyBoy

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was a standby for Larry when I did this last year (except he was changed to Laura), so I have a pretty good idea of what he does...

There are a few parts where he sings, but it's always mixed in with other chorus members. In our version, the director let us be a part of the Montage and stuff, so he probably has less singing than I remember. Lines... there are a few. After Paul's mishap, he goes and calls the ambulance. There's just a handful of things Larry says. And Larry dances. Oh, how he dances. At least, when we did it, Larry demonstrated quite a few of the combinations.

Also, in the show, most of the characters have quite a bit of background information, since they were based on real people. The guy(s?) Larry was based from didn't want to have a part in that, so there's not a lot you can work from there. Luckily, our director was all about trying new things (it was a summer program; more about learning than "preserving the sanctity" or whatever), so I got to make up a bunch of random character stuff. The BG info says that Larry was happy being an assistant, but I basically threw that out...

The hardest thing about Larry is that because there's so little that he /must/ do (few lines), it's really easy for him to become a booooooooring character. Please, please, pleaaase don't let him be a nothing! Personally, my Laura was "getting experience" from Zach so that she could go on to be the next big director, was asking Zach for a bigger job, and was secretly a little in love with him. It was so much more fun than just "doot-doot-doot, assisting, line here, blah blah blah..."

Best of luck with your audition!!! <--even if it might have passed already...

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm
Hey, can anybody PLEASE tell me where i can find I'd give it all for you (preferablly a digital download and preferably free but wherever is fine) Thank you lots :)

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]