The Resource For Musicals

Chess Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Would an Actor/Musician production of Chess work? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Would an Actor/Musician production of Chess work?
Would an Actor/Musician production of Chess work? Like they did with Sweeney Todd and Company on Broadway and Sunset Boulevard on West End.

I would picture the chess matches. Freddie playing an Electric Guitar while Anatoly is "battling" him with a violin. They would play different passages each, and the one who is supposed to win would be the last to play. Of course the actors would have to play several instruments, but I do think it could work if one could make good orchestrations and make the balance between the actors/instruments work.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

why do it. i HATE that gimmick... John Doyle should be shot.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

How come you hate it? I really enjoyed Company, and Sunset Boulevard in London was great! The way the instruments was woven into the story was brilliant, and it really gave a special feeling having Joe playing every prelude to his songs on his flute, and using the organ when he was "editing" the script was really cool. It just sometimes feel right.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It works in come shows but the shows were designed that way. Chess works (kind of) as it is, and adding instruments would muddle it. Also, you are going to have difficulty finding strong actors who also play multiple instruments.

And even if somebody did it I bet they wouldn't include a viola.

Ygraine in Pendragon
Mrs O''Lafferty in Ragged Child

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

odd. I would have anyone using the organ except max.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think percussion would be the big problem - so much of the score needs someone sitting at a drum kit, you'd pretty much have to leave one character back there all the time. You can switch out pianists because pretty much anyone who can play an instrument at least has a rudimentary understanding of piano as well, but drums are a pretty specialized thing.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
It would be cool to see if this would work, but I think the idea is a bit of a tired one by now as well. Though it would be fun to see if the concept is fresher with a score that's more electronic than Sweeney Todd, Company et al.

If I were to assign the drums to a certain character, I would probably give it to the Arbiter, only because he seems to serve a bit of a narrative function on the recording of the show I have. In my opinion, it would probably be best to have a character who oversees the events constantly on-stage while on the drums.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well it looks like that's what they are gonna do for the new UK Tour

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstor ... direct-new

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sorry, I'm with Salome on this one. Chess with actor/musicians is nothing I would pay to see. Or sneak into, for that matter. Pared down orchestras are bad enough -- handing the instruments to performers who are only any good at playing about 50% of the time and then asked to multitask? Wow, you'd think it were just an excuse to not hire an orchestra, or something... Sorry, the Sweeney Todd revival was auditory methane, and I'm not about to live through that with another of my favorite shows.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
I didn't think the Sweeney Todd revival worked very well, but I thought Company did.

Don't really have an opinion on CHESS, but I agree strongly the chess game would work with the 'music battle'. If it was clear they are playing chess - they can both work out (with others in the background I guess) the title instrumental that usually plays during the chess game.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

A remarkably stupid idea in any context, really. Especially in a show like Chess, which has a demanding score and sounds terrible as it is with vocalists who aren't up to its demands. Trebly if it's going to be the light London rewrite that Rice did for the '08 concert - the book was weak in 1986 and he didn't fix any of the problems in 2008.

-Florence Vassy

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:23 am
Profile WWW

I didn't think the Sweeney Todd revival worked very well, but I thought Company did.

I felt the opposite. I think Sweeney sort of workedi na brechtian style. company came off as clumsy and mishandled.

i'd hate to have seen Mack and Mabel and Amadeus. they must have been even worse based on the gimmick and the reviews.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next