The Resource For Musicals

Chess Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Vocal Ranges 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

True, and let's not forget how Chess eats voices for breakfast even more than Wicked.

Poor Murray Head... You used to have a voice...

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:59 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Others, Zubin Varla comes to mind, follow the Jerome Pradon sound of "I'm so emotionally distraught right now that I've pushed myself out of my vocal range, and these high notes will kill me, but it's GREAT drama."

Didn't Pradon only do that on the JCS CD, with studio conditions and all? I still question that whole move, just 'cause Judas is unquestionably a tenor and Pradon is a baritone. I read an article saying that Gail Edwards and ALW reallly wanted him for the role. Acting aside, the screeching and squeaking gets old. Just like Fred Johannsen's Pilate. But that's another forum...

Varla would have had to kill himself every night for both roles. Yikes. I like most of Varla's stuff on the Danish CD, but the strained climaxes of "Pity the Child" just don't do it for me as do the Casnoff or Pascal versions.

Cadriel wrote:
Anthony Stewart Head (aka Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame), who was the second replacement Freddie in London, definitely went into falsetto on his high C, and did some vocal improv with it. Frankly I'm not in love with the move, but it is possible to cast Freddie below a high rock tenor. For an actor who can knock it out of the park otherwise, I'd be quite happy to hear "Pity" taken down as it was in the Swedish version of the show.

Hah! Didn't know that Tony Head had played the role. He's Murray's brother, yeah? I can dig the last part of your post, as long as they've got the rest of the role as you say.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Anthony Stewart Head (aka Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame), who was the second replacement Freddie in London, definitely went into falsetto on his high C, and did some vocal improv with it. Frankly I'm not in love with the move, but it is possible to cast Freddie below a high rock tenor. For an actor who can knock it out of the park otherwise, I'd be quite happy to hear "Pity" taken down as it was in the Swedish version of the show.

Wow, I didn't know that :) I love me some Anthony Head.

And I concur - Bringing Pity down a la Stockholm so that Freddie tops out on an A is fine with me, as long as the actor's dead-on.

Of course, I hate transposing (not in principle, I mean actually doing the notation), so in that respect I'm hoping to find myself a lovely rock tenor, or several nice keyboards that will do it on-the-fly. :)

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Hah! Didn't know that Tony Head had played the role. He's Murray's brother, yeah? I can dig the last part of your post, as long as they've got the rest of the role as you say.

Yep. He was in the cast at the same time as Grainne Renihan and David Burt. Not quite as exciting as when you had Körberg as Anatoly, but Tony Head kept his voice together better than his brother by not pushing it as hard.

In one of the London show's great oddities, the Renihan/Burt/Head cast didn't get to close out, they just put their understudies on and went out with a whimper.

-Florence Vassy

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

... they just put their understudies on and went out with a whimper.

...Not with a shout. :lol:

I didn't imagine Tony's voice being Freddie material. I just assumed he was regular baritone what with playing Frank from Rocky Horror and all.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Cadriel wrote:

Wow, I didn't know that :) I love me some Anthony Head.

And I concur - Bringing Pity down a la Stockholm so that Freddie tops out on an A is fine with me, as long as the actor's dead-on.

Of course, I hate transposing (not in principle, I mean actually doing the notation), so in that respect I'm hoping to find myself a lovely rock tenor, or several nice keyboards that will do it on-the-fly. :)

I'll fly over there ;-)

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'll fly over there ;-)

You're on! :D

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:48 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

haha seriously? When is it?

I'm honestly not sure at the moment - sometime in 2010, and not in the fall is as specific as I can get right now (because fall is a terribly busy time for people in music education).

But I'm not adverse to the idea, really - it'd be quite a commute for you though, I'm in northeast Tennessee :)

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well yeah. If I can find a place to stay I would totally go anywhere to do Chess.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well yeah. If I can find a place to stay I would totally go anywhere to do Chess.

Fair enough :) I'll keep you informed!

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re:
Monsieur D'Arque wrote:
Freddie's high note in London is a D, but that's only for an eighth note.

Anatoly sings the B natural in The Interview.

And let's not forget Florence's caterwaul in Nobody's side, which takes her to a head-exploding A#.

Correction: Anatoly's top note is actually a high B flat. The Interview is in C minor (three flats), and there's no accidental on that note, natural or otherwise. (And I have the score open as I'm typing this, so...well, you get the idea. And Florence's "caterwaul" (nice description by the way! when I heard Julia Murney's version, I was like "WTF?!? That must have hurt..." :lol:

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next