Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
CATS Broadway Trip Report Aug 6-7, 2016 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post CATS Broadway Trip Report Aug 6-7, 2016
Well, I'm finally back from New York and Broadway's CATS!

Please bear with me as this post will be long and convoluted and have many, many show SPOILERS in it, so if you would still like to be surprised, don't read much more of the review. But if your curiously is piqued, read on. Be sure to grab your cup of coffee and settle in as I have much to speak about and many opinions. So if I ramble on just rest assured that you are getting your money's worth! These are just my thoughts and musings about this "new and improved?" version of CATS.

Got my nails done special for the trip!

Aug 5th:

I got into New York OK, just long flights from Portland, OR all away cross country to New York. Ugh, I hate flying but I'll do it to see CATS anyday! It's so worth it for the inconvenience. I got to LAG with no flight delays, thank God, and was able to catch a cab to Mid-Town Manhattan. It was a long-ass trip as it was right at rush hour so it took forever to get to my hotel. I stayed at the Hampton Inn Midtown which is only about 3 minutes away from the Neil Simon theatre which was awesome. Just a few steps away. Plus, a Starbucks on the corner for my tea fix! So I got checked in and then just HAD to wander over to the NS to see patrons arriving.

Carlo, a good friend of mine was meeting me there in front so finally he arrived and we went to dinner at Chipotle and talked about what else, CATS! It was so nice to finally meet him and talk about every fan's dream. He was so nice and personable. It was wonderful and Carlo is a great guy and really knows his CATS stuff!

We got a pic after dinner...

After dinner I could not stay long as I needed to get back to the hotel as I was exhausted from traveling all day, and I had been up since 3am. I hate 5am flights!

The next morning after having been fortified with Emperor's Cloud Green Tea from Starbucks I wandered over to the NS and took morning pics of the exterior without the crush of people in front of it. Here's all the shots I managed to get, hopefully with the less people in front the better!

This door leads to the long hallway for exit acess.

Uhmmmm.....OK. I was having an open mind about all this. What did I think? Read on then.

Stage Door. After the show the management puts up metal barriers which fans can line up to get autographs signed. The press of people after the show is CRAZY!! 5 people deep and you have to sneak your way up to the bars. The actors will "run the gauntlet" signing and taking pics with the fans after. It's madness, and hopefully in a few months it will calm down and they will not need the barriers anymore.

Me loving on my show! Oh, how I love you, CATS! Now and Forever!

Line for entry and security lines up here in front of these doors. One door is kept open on the other side for Will Call patrons only. You can only enter from facing this side.

Finally, directly across the street

1st Show!

I met Carlo before the show and he went in costume as Munkustrap! We did get a lot of stares and management said that it was OK for fans to come in costume which was a relief as I was worried the he might have been refused entry. Carlo is the 1st fan to come to the show in costume, I think and someone from marketing took pics of us outside the theatre for promotional purposes. Maybe his photo will be used somewhere?

We were in Row B, right in front of the stage. The Orchestra is under the stage, not offstage right like it used to be at the Winter Garden. The set is low and has great sight lines. It's such a relief to see the show without those huge orchestra pits I had to deal with seeing the Troika tour in various theatre's all over the country where the cast was miles away from the audience! Here they are right on top of you which is just awesome!

The set is purposely kept dark as they cannot keep people from taking cel phone pics anymore and the ushers would get hoarse from yelling at patrons over and over again to "NOT TAKE PICTURES!!!" I'm so sick of hearing that, LOL! So they keep it dark for those reasons. So most people's pics won't come out. My Samsung camera is a great low-light camera feature on it which is awesome, but my camera this trip was acting wonky. I wasn't getting as sharp pics and I think I had an accidental filter on it, crap!

The tunnel right at my feet! There are two for the aisles. We were on the left side facing the stage for this first show.

The dark set. It's night in the junkyard, making things look quite ominous.

In the basement they had set up these standees of the characters for novelty photos.

Carlo hamming it up as Munk

Both of us hamming it up!

After the 1st show. So happy! More thoughts later on. After the show they let people go down to take pics in front of the stage. Selfies as well. The ushers won't take pics of you though, they aren't allowed to handle any cameras. They are there to guard the stage from stupid people trying to get up there and take more pics, I guess. Most of the ushers are pretty, how shall we say....abrupt. Mostly they want people to get out fast!

Next up, meeting Hector again after 16 years!!!!

Purrs,
VTWC

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:13 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: CATS Broadway Trip Report Aug 6-7, 2016
Also for sale at the Merch kiosk are Sunglasses, an awesome Pillow (sells out FAST!!!) , T-shirts-2 kinds, CD, DVD, magnets, the little plush Kitty, keychains, hoodie jackets, kitty ears for the kids, and music book. Also, a tip, at the bar down below in the basement you can get a plastic souvenir glass. I now own 4 for my collection! I just couldn't resist buying them for every show I saw.

After the show we finally met Hector! It was a wonderful reunion! I was so jazzed to see him again! Carlo, Hector, and I were all seeing the night show. We then hung out at the barriers and tried to get as many cast autographs as we could. Most of the actors did come out, but Leona was nowhere to be seen, of course. Figured that she would stay in and avoid the crowds who mostly only came to see her perform. Met tons of cast members and had them sign my autograph book. Since the crowds were so tight they really couldn't stay for long and chat, plus they wanted to have as much down time as they could so they signed stuff and were off. Luckily, they all have gold and silver autograph sharpies to sign Playbills.

Announcement was made that Leona was not coming out and people groaned, then most took off. Hector, Carlo, and I then went over the Applebee's for dinner. We had a nice time taking about CATS and all our memories of old shows and stuff. It was also bittersweet to see the Winter Garden again and pass by knowing everything that we'd experienced in that hallow place. Just awesome!

Pretty soon it was show #2!

This time I was seated in the best seat in the house, I think! Just the best! Couldn't believe how lucky I was to get this seat! IT'S MY SEAT NOW!!! If I come back to see the show I'll always try to snag this particular seat. During the show there are at least 5-6 "moments" right in front of this seat, plus a tunnel, and an aisle! Plus: THE TUGGER SNAPPY!!!!

OK I know that I look crazy but the cast was yelling at me and clawing and hissing at me, so I did it right back. The Tugger Snappy happens so fast and you don't know where to look. Maybe at the camera prop they are holding, it's hard to tell. But yeah, lucky me! So happy! So yes, always sit on the right!

B12 my seat forever!!! If I see the show again, this is where I will always try to sit from now on. The views are spectacular!

Carlo was in the same row, Row B, front and center.

Tugger Finale Bow

Leona Griz Finale Bow

Electra and Carbucketty

Tumblebrutus with Corico and Tanto

Purple Old D!

The Swanky Dance at the Finale

More Swanky Dance

Shot of the stage right after.

Carlo right after the show.

Me right after the show, that serious looking guy to my right is one of the security guards. Yeah, I know, right?!

Work lights on and putting out the Ghost Light in order to close up shop.

Me with Old D. Quentin Earl Darrington. Just the nicest guy you'll ever meet! I love his portrayal of Old D. so much!!!! Selfie-time!!!

Selfie with Tyler Hanes, Tugger, looks like he's photoboming me.

After the show before we said our goodnights. Happy fun times at CATS!

Miscellaneous shots:

My last shot of the stage after my last night of the show. I will miss you guys!!!

Cast List

Dark Times and Schedule until New Year's Jan 2017.

More to come, the meat and potatoes review.

Purrs,
VTWC

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:42 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In this report I'm going to speak about the changes to the show that I could pick out. Thoughts are from my journal as I made notes so they are top of my head sort of. But here goes. I'm not a writer so bear with me, some of these thoughts may be interesting to someone at least.

I already spoke about the best seat in the house I got. There are several key pausing moments here where you get unparalleled views of teh characters. Skimble and Munk stop here for "There's a Man over there." Mungo and Rumple end they're number here. Victoria does her "fling-out" here too. Deut comes down this aisle. Also you are in a key spot for the Tugger Snappy:

instagram: officialrumtumtugger

Every shot from the show is posted here for the entire length of the run.

Overture/Green Eyes: There are only a few cats who run out into the audience and they don't pause very much, just 2 or 3 down orchestra floor. They run through so fast and cross the front row out to the sides. If you blink, you'll miss them. The whole cast does not enter anymore and fill the aisles.

Jellicle Songs:

Most of Gilly's chor is cut and mixed with Andy's. More turns, spins, and lifts. No Young Griz, Demeter sings her old line. Old D. wears a long, grey and black furry vest that come down to his feet, along with warmers. Electra and Carbucketty have been added to the roster for this cast. Skimble wears his striped vest with no white bib and a small black collar with a jingle bell attached to it. Skimble runs up the wall, and Alonzo swings on the white lighted trapeze.

(Sorry, a lot of stuff is going to deal with the costumes, as that was what I was most interested in)

Naming of Cats: Skimble has Gus's old line, "Man over there" Number is mostly the same with the cast coming out into the audience to interact.

Invite: Jelly sleeps on top of the car boot, and others, I couldn't tell which were also sleeping around the edges of the stage while Vici does her Solo Dance. Thank God they kept that in full!!! I would have murdered someone if he ---- with that segment. \:D/

Gumbie: Most of the changes start here. First verses are the same as the original and then into "Irregular Diet" the mice come out again. Cast rolls out large clock face out onto the set and clock tick-tocks while Gumbie sits and sits and sits and sits, looking slightly bored. Lost the awesome bit with Munk playing with her tail and the fake mating pose! (Loved that!) Cats come out at Beetles, only 3 toms with hubcaps on their chests, and dance while they undress Gumbie. Gumbie's new costume looks amazing! I love the new design very much! Its less bulky and lighter to wear. Cast dances tap with Gumbie but there is no Beetles Tatoo. Gumbie rides around on an oversized broom, Munk brushing the floor with it. They she admonishes Carb and Mungo to clean the floor with toothbrushes and rags. Then the cast comes out with oversized soccer and basketballs to play on, and Jelly, Bom, and Dem roll her over them front and center. Gumbie taps a solo in time with the clock, while cast surrounds her in their regular costumes, no beetles, while she takes front and center. Then after the number, Munk repeats, "Who will it be?"

Tugger: Then Tugger who is on top of the car boot says, sarcastically: "Who will it be?!" and makes his entrance. Sings all the number mostly normally. Still rock star Tugger but with a twist. In this age of Facebook and Twitter he preens for the girls and the audience. He also preens in front of a broken mirror and loves on himself all over the place. Vain and very self-absorbed is how he's playing the character. Girls fawn all over him and he takes in in stride. Shakes his ass for laughs. Is a little bit upset over all the fawning thought at the end. At the end of his number, he comes out into the audience for the Tugger Snappy. The cast comes over and holds up a large oversized camera prop that flashes. I believe that you have to look directly at the camera if you want your pic to come out looking good. There are tons of little flashes around that area so i can't tell if they are actually holding a working camera or not, or the camera is up on the set. The cast yells at you "TAKE A PICTURE, LOOK OVER HERE!"

More later...have to rest a bit.

Purrs,
VTWC

Last edited by VTWC on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:32 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Grizabella: Every fan has something to say about Leona I guess, and I have to have my 2$ too. She is flat and wooden. She hardly moves or makes any expressions. Her face is fixed in this "Why Don't They Love Me" look of confusion and bewilderment. She just...leans...and turns abruptly to face the cast, and then stands frozen. The lack of expression on her face is disconcerting. She can sing and has good delivery....but....she can't act the part. I'm sorry, she just can't. ](*,) Nuff' said. At the end of her number she slinks offstage to some extra bars of music with a small pause.

Bustopher Jones: His costume is lights and less bulky looking which must be better for the actor. He's wearing a "Mexico Big Wig" that's very large! Verses start with Venision. Skimble comes through held doors acting as a Butler, while Alonzo come through other held doors holding a large bottle. The cast choose Skimble to keep acting as butler. Misto lights up the held lamp with his magic. Cast pulls out a large white napkin which they attach to Bustopher and make a table for him to sit at, while the cast comes around with "Junk" food to serve him on it. Bustopher carries no spoon cane, sorry, no Golf Swing at the end. Awwwwwhhhh....

Macavity Crash: Demeter cries "Macavity!" Bustopher says: "Macavity?! Toodle Pip!!!" and rushes out along with the rest of the cast. Cast scatters.

Mungo/Rumple: Full song sung. Costumes look terrible. Rumple lost her teddy. Both look like they are wearing bathing suits. Mungo's arm and legwarmers are gone and he's wearing spandex leggings instead, hip-high that seems to accentuate his "junk", sorry! LOL! They carry very small "Swag Bags." They keep their costumes on for the rest of the show, during the Jellicle Ball.

Old D.: Munk and Tugger sing the same. Cast performs the same. However when Old D is sighted in the audience, Victoria flings herself out into Coricopat and Alonzo's arms and they carry her over to him. She is the first to "meet" him, awwww....for the first time! She helps him up onstage along with Misto. (Can I say the "fling" was right beside me in the aisle, the actors brushing up against me?! AWESOME!! Ahhhhh!!!!)

Macavity Crash: Girls pause and go into a trance slowly and fearfully singing "Like a Snake" while lights dim and blue out. Cast is memorized by him.

Wait for the rest. I have to keep taking breaks. Keep checking back for this post to continue.

Purrs,
VTWC

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:04 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The Jellicle Ball: Old D. calls for cats to return, begging them. Does the 1st verses. Cats slowly return. Gus comes out for the first time with Jelly helping in his old robe. For the rest of the show he is seen in this costume. He greets Old D. Character verses changed. Poor Gilly, most of her chor is changed up. "Wheat Fields" missing, only small parts of "Warsaw," Copland still there, "Big Boys" gone, everyone has a moment during the ball to shine. Chor is low to the ground and then lifts and leaps. Frentic movements all over the stage. Victoria is now the "Star" of the Ball this night. D. comes down to front of the stage to sit while Carb tried to "impress" him. Mungo gets mad and they "Feud." They tussle and Jenny and Skimble break it up. Duet takes it all in stride good naturedly. Bom and the Queens still do "Honkytonk." Victoria and Plato have small meeting moments during the first half of the Ball. They make shy overtures to each other. Finally, "Sensuals," the Mating Dance. Its longer and more drawn out. Victoria and Plato settle down on the floor. Plato looks curious and excieted, Victoria shy. Finally she ventures over to him to rub up against him (my most favorite new part of the show, very, very catlike!) Plato then picks her up for some lifts into the classic lift upside down into the drop to the snuggle pile. Griz meanwhile watches from the boot as usual. Cats recgonize that she's there. Now it gets interesting. Each show that I saw had different members "rush" her to scare her away. Once I saw Jelly and Skimble together, then I saw Alonzo and Tumble. Cast does "Judders" and then all hell breaks loose. Every character has a moment. Cats are either being lifted on high, or they are low to ground doing break dancing moves. Combos of leaps and extensions, then down on the ground for rolls. There is so much movement it gets sort of muddled. Girls have their moments, then Boys. Warsaw is shortened with sharp, jerky movements. Some flowing, others sharp. The slow, elegent style is now missing. Sort of like "dance for short attention spans." Finally at the end there is a homage move as a nod to London's closing (A little girl dress as Finola Hughes's Victoria is lifted on high) here in the Ball, Victoria is lifted up on high in front of Old D. and a spot is shone on her then they bring her down, spin and then end. Old D also does some "strength" moves in the Ball, but it's just arm movements like: "I'm still buff and I can prove it!" I liked this.

Little Memory: Leona has a good voice but I was very unimpressed. Seen so many much better Griz's in my life. Her stupid laugh during her dance is out of place and jarring. I hope they cut that out in a few weeks. It shouldn't be there, it breaks the catlike spell and makes her more human. She's supposed to be the most human in the show, but her with that laugh it's strange. Oh well....

More coming up.

Purrs,
VTWC

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Moments: The number is hardly changed. Sillabub is front and center and Corico and Tanto come down to her and pat her on the head for her to start her singing.

Gus: Same number until the end. Gus tries to leave but Old D comes up and gestures to the kittens, Electra, Pounce, and Rumple to stay and "tell more stories." The kittens are thrilled with this. Gus gives up and launched into "Bloodcurdling Noises". "And I once played....The Rumpus Cat!" Deut says softly, "So do it again, So do it again." Gus says: "I could do it again."

Pekes: Gus narrates the song from then on. He directs the action. Munk plays a supporting role in the song now in homage to the old version. Alozno plays the "Big Police Dog." When the words, "Heathen Chinese," come up Gus says it large and loud. Munk glares disapprovingly at him. Next H.C. words, Munk has them and says it "under his breath." Obviously they can't change that line, but maybe in the future they will. Munk says "Bold Heros," reluctantly. Gus as Rumpus comes out of the oven in a cloud of fog. "Glare of his eyes," is sung by the cast in the old Siamese Growltiger music. I'll speak of Gus' Rumpus Cat costume later.

Skimble: No changes to this number.

Macavity: No changes that I could see to this number. Costumes looked gorgeous in the spots.

Macavity Catfight: Music has strong, louder beats in it that are way more dramatic. Munk and Mac start the fight crouching on the floor glaring at each other, staring. Munk's relationship with Demeter is shown her more clearly for his protecting of her during the fight. When Mac disables Munk he tried to drag off Demeter, but Alonzo rushes in to try to save her. Then Mac looses heart as all the cast turns against him, acts frightened, then escapes with the electrical charge. Musical pause then with the light, Dem and Munk comfort each other.

Misto: Longer dance sequence to pad the show for time, since the loss of Growltiger. Misto sings parts of his verses. Does 2 magic tricks. Throws red scarf over Tugger, reveals 7 kittens underneath. More disco musical dance sequences. Waka-chica, 70's style music. Cats has lot of dancing alongside Misto. Its not his personal Solo anymore. Cats bring out white orbs to hang in the sky. Misto picks up a small yellow flame and the rest of the cast do too as well. They bring them all together into a huddle center stage, and then break away to reveal Old D returned. Misto still leaps on Old D. and the rest of the cast do the "walk-up bows" like the old number and come out into the audience to interact. One part that I liked about the dance was Misto's Jacket which lit up in rainbow colors in time to the music. Also Cassie wears a LED light up unitard that shows off her chest,and wears light up "ears" headband. She assists Misto in dancing for a small section. I also like the "Blackout" where the cast leaps up in the dark while Misto hangs out lying on the floor, checking out his claws and acting bored. Overall, nice extended number. Big applause at the end!

Memory: Don't get my started on Leona. Flat, wooden, and no acting. She's just a diva. One thing I noticed with Leona is that she does not know how her hands are acting when she sings. She does this crazy, distracting thing with her fingers, opening and shutting and twitching them all over and together. Just a constant twitching with her hands. She just leans over here and there and he has no facial expressions except for "mustn't give in." He can belt fine, its just the little nuances are not there to portray the character right. When I saw Jessica Hendy perform on the Sunday matinee, WOW, what a difference! Jessica has played the character before and it showed! Wow, she was good! She came into the set with this haughty, angry, look on her angular face and make perfect expressions of hurt, fear, anger, and sadness all at the right times. She also could move her body right, making small stumbling movements like Griz should, and unsteady walking. Her expressions were spot on! Also her voice gave me chills. I hope she will replace Leona soon. She deserves it!!! What a difference between two women. Give me a veteran anyday!!!

Heaviside: Griz flies up to the Heaviside Layer this time. She comes out for Memory with the harness attached under her coat. When Misto comes down on his rig, they pull it back and attach it as it's also the fly harness for Griz later on. I miss the "Stairway to Heaven" so much! This exit is underwhealming. Leona has no "connection" with Old D! No fear, no unceartanty. Just impassivemess. Not even a "goodbye" moment on the tire with D. I miss that connection, and Griz's hesitatncy, and Old D's encourgement of her. Maybe they will add it back? Leona looks like she's resigned to her "suicide."

Addressing: Most of the actors don't react to the mention of food anymore. Miss that, what cat wouldn't react to names of food? I loved it when they would make faces and lick their lips!

Loud cheers and applause and standing ovations all shows.

Cast don't slink off at the Finale of Misto's song. They do a "Swanky Dance," and proceed out. Tugger ends the show by prancing about saying "Love Me!" Miss the old Troika Bom and Tugger interaction at the end which always got a bit audience laugh.

Exit music is different, Jellicle Ball and ends very abruptly, stops and goes into "Memory." Don't care for it, miss the Tugger's music instead. it now sounds like "Get out fast, people!" Also New York audiences always talk so LOUD over the exit music!!! Ugh!

Small side not: The actress who played Electra told us that her character reminds Old D of a younger version of Grizabella. She's new to the Ball like Vici, but wants to leave the tribe to see the outside world badly. She wants to be just like Griz and is curious about the big, wide world.

Purrs,
VTWC

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:59 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

My view from B112!

Chills!!!

Purrs,
VTWC

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:00 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Now my favorite part!

COSTUMES!!! My thoughts on the changes.

Old D. costume in Jellicle Songs is a long, furry, black and grey and white stripes coat. It's a sleeveless vest that drops to the floor. He wears his warmers as well, and the PJ suit underneath.

Gumbie's Tap outfit. She wears a smaller hat and her fringe jumpsuit is looser and more flowing. Moves great. More like a 1920's Flapper outfit now. The suit is cut to resemble the flapper dress and ends at her knees, leaving her legs bare. She wears suede covers over her feet during her Fat Cat Coat costume. The covers are tight and form fitting and look difficult to remove. There must have been a lot of practice for the actors to get them off in time. Gumbie tap outfit now has spangles and beads on it, along with purple and diamond tap shoes that are light grey. She sparkles as she moves now which is very awesome! I love her new costume. Very nice change!

Tugger: He's wearing a vest still with much more yak hair ruff with a higher collar. Tail is a slim, leather rope with 3 rabbit fur puffs at the end, like a lions's tail. The biggest change is the boots that he wear now. They are country-western style painted boots with diamond spurs on the heels. Boots come up to his knees and the paint was wearing off that I could see. He wears 2 studded belts, with his chains falling on his backside now.

Griz: Same London Palladium costume. Coat is now made of fake fur instead of the old rabbit. Looks less sharp and furry. Must be terrible to clean, I bet! Fringe at the end of the corset of black and grey leather. Tail of black and white fake fur.

Mungo/Rumple: I call it, the bathing suit costumes now. I cant stand them! Rumple lost her Teddy and marabou gloves! She's now wearing spandex arm and leg covers. Pearls are smaller. Mungo's leggings are too high up his hips and with his shirt crossing over his middle, it looks like he's wearing Speedos and shows off his "junk" too much. Really like a bathing suit. Both keep their costumes on during the Jellicle Ball.

Gus: Larger, heavier patchwork robe. Wears during the Jellicle Ball and the rest of the show, during Memory and Addressing.

Rumpus Cat: I'm going to draw a pic of how this costumes looks as it's hard to describe properly. He comes out dress in a long sleeveless vest made of leather ruffles. It looks like a Christmas tree! It's black and grey and slightly red. He also wears a silly Halloween party style red and black mask. Does not light up. Black gloves with red ribbons on them. Very strange costume. You have to see a picture of it!

Skimble: Wears his vest without white bib during the whole show starting with Jellicle Songs. During his number he adds the white bib and he also wears a small black collar with a round jingle bell attached to it. . He also wears white fingerless gloves.

Sillabub: Now wears gloves with burgundy marabou ostrich feathers attached to it. Very large and fluffy.

Electra: Has copper marabou feathers braided into her tail. Looks "fan-made" sorry!

Macavity: Most changes here! Wears a black bodysuit unitard. Has "ribs" showing under it for his chest to make him look "starved." Has ginger red/orange fake fur bits on the unitard all over his body. I believe it's because he's made to look like he has mange! Or he's obsessively pulled out all his fur due to stress, illness, or just plain being evil. He looks like a black lion now. His wig is fuller and messier and ginger orange. He wears a bolero vest with a high collar which has long fringe attached to it that goes down his arms. Wears small black boots.

Henchcats: Look almost the same as Macavity but wearing masks. Was so very hard to see in the dark.

Misto: Costume now operates with LED technology lights. Easier and lighter to wear for the actor. Dances the whole song with the jacket now. Lights up in time with the beats of the music. Cassie as assistant wears another unitard with LED lights on her chest/bib. Colors of the rainbow. She also wears small light up cat "ears." She only wears the costume for a very short part of the number and then dances out.

Gumbie: Jenny wears a brand new unitard with tiger stripes and leopard spots! I love her new unitard! It makes her looks like she possibly could be the mother of Tugger! Cute! Spots looks just like how Tugger's are. I'm going to probably recreate this unitard costume design when I have more time. I just love it so much! Jenny comes out to the Finale dressed in the Tap Outfit.

So that's the costume changes that I saw. Overall, wonderful job!!!

Purrs,
VTWC

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:24 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

So how did I like the show?

Overall, I LOVED IT! We still had the Rockstar Tugger and even though Leona was underwhelming, the cast was fantastically talented! It's so great to go to Broadway and see top of the line performers. I loved hearing the show performed again in "Broadway" accents!!! After hearing all the European shows for a couple of years now, I just love that Broadway "twang" in their voices. All of them had great voices and projection. Gave me chills!

I found the most glaring changes, the "Trance" part and "Pekes." I miss Growltiger's number so very much! Seeing Growl and Griddle ham it up during the Operetta was always a highlight for me. The show is now much shorter, each act one hour. Fantastic actors and cast, and so nice and personable after the show, takng the time to take pics and sign autographs. I loved this Cast! They all seem to be gelled and like working together. I also like the fact that there was much diversity in this cast. More African-American performers, as well as the 2 older gentlemen who played Gus and Skimble. I can't stand it when Skimble and Gus are played by 21 year olds!

The only thing that I found at fault was the makeups! They were so minimalist it looked like several were not wearing any makeup at all. Especially Skimble and Gus and Duet. After the show I could immediately recognize many of the actors out of costume. There are hardly any bold lines and everyone's face colors are muted and much softer. It doesn't read well onstage. The makeup has to MASK the actor and blend into the wig. I wish they had either redesigned the whole makeup schemas or just gone with the total original Troika and Broadway designs. But other than that the costumes were GORGEOUS! No one has patched knees and rips and tears yet, that I could see! LOL! :lol: Pretty soon, give it a month then.

Overall, GO SEE IT! You won't regret it. I'm going back in early Jan. I just have to see this production yet again. I couldn't resist. Only a few months away again...

Can't wait to visit the Junkyard again under the light of the Jellicle Moon!

Purrs,
VTWC

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
When in January are you thinking of going? We'll be there from the 9th to the 17th. My birthday is the 10th, so we might see Cats then. We haven't bought tickets yet, so let me know!

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Oh, how was the tempo during Jellicle Songs? Was it slow like on GMA?

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:20 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I've been wanting to ask a question about the merchandise kiosk for some time. However, I haven't come back regularly and so I couldn't ask earlier.

Did the merchandise kiosk have copies of the Broadway cast double-disc?

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]