Cats Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Andy Blakenbuehler's "New" Choreography 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: CATS the Musical!
Main Role: Costume Designer
Post Andy Blakenbuehler's "New" Choreography
http://broadwaydirect.com/feature/andy-blankenbuehler-cats?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=issue+190

Uhm, no, Andy, you are going to ruin it! Gillian's choreography was brilliant! It's just to leave well enough alone.

More changes coming. I can't stand it!

Quote:
“I’m rhythmically based, and so my pictures are always about syncopation and shapes that crunch down, as opposed to shapes that expand up. I wanted to take her bible and meet it with my bible

Quote:
As Andrew’s musical styles change, I have them move in different ways. I am also making choreographic adjustments for Rum Tum Tugger, Mistoffelees, for the Macavity fight, and for our younger cats. One thing that’s going to be substantially different is the connective tissue between moments. The archetypal characters are the same but I want to make sure, as I have always done, that in the transitions, the storytelling continues in a very dynamic way.”

Ok, I can take altering the Tugger number, but that's it! Altering the basics of Mistoffelees's wonderful solo dance, and the awesome Macavity fight scene just screams: "Ego."

Making the kittens leap and do bizarre movements is going to ruin the beautiful, balletic movements of the dancers. It's going to make the show look jarring and vaguely incomprehensible. ](*,)

Off my soapbox.

Purrs,
VTWC

Fri May 20, 2016 9:50 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Andy Blakenbuehler's "New" Choreography
I love that new style \:D/ Waiting for something really different next time

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]