The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Character Discussion: Mae Peterson 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Character Discussion: Mae Peterson
As I said in Salome's Kay Medford thread, it was only after Medford was cast that the bookwriter Michael Stewart expanded the Mae Peterson role. My question is, how do you all feel about Mae being a supporting role rather than originally being in just one scene? I feel both ways about it. On the one hand, I think she has some of the best lines in the show (my favorite being 'She looks like Margo when they took her out of Shangri-La!'). But when she follows Albert to Sweet Apple, for me it became a WTF sort of moment. Also, I think that some of her digs at other ethnicities were a little too much, particularly the Social Security line; when I did the show, that line made me cringe every time. So, what do the rest of you think of Mae Peterson?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I find Mae Peterson and Harry McAffee the most interesting roles in the show. its no small part because the roles were taylored to Kay Medford and Paul Lynde.

Bye Bye Birdie would be a dull show without these 2 roles just as they are.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think she's definitely a trying character. She Adds contention between Rosie and Albert more so when she is more of a major character. Without her, what is the incentive for them having not gotten married for 8 years? She adds more depth to their storyline, as well as some fabulous one-liners! Though some of her lines may be questionable to some, think of the era this play takes place in. Obviously that's not an issue during that time.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:00 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Bye Bye Birdie would be a dull show without these 2 roles just as they are.

True. Mae Peterson somewhat acts as the contrasting character in this musical, saying as it has no real "bad guy". Plus, she is pretyy comical.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re:
_Kelly_ wrote:
Though some of her lines may be questionable to some, think of the era this play takes place in. Obviously that's not an issue during that time.

A production of BBB just opened at my college this weekend and yet they won't do Hairspray because of the racial slurs. I think the slurs in Birdie are much more offensive, personally.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]