The Resource For Musicals



Bye Bye Birdie Forum


Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Baby Talk To Me 
Author Message
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eastern U.S.
Post Baby Talk To Me
For our production of BBB, the powers that be decided to cut "Baby...". While it's by no means my favorite song in the show, it seems to have a very strong cult following with our cast, who are big fans of the harmonies. Presumably, we didn't have any adult males with good enough voices. Anyway, I wanted to see how you all felt about this decision. Is "Baby..." an appropriate song to cut? Is it vital to the show?

_________________
Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective


Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:26 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:07 pm
Posts: 11297
Main Role: Performer
Post 
always disliked that song.

_________________
Image[/quote]


Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm
Posts: 13
Post 
Coming from a background of singing tight harmonies ... I love the song ... when it's done right. I've heard some REALLY nasty sounding quartets do that song. If you've got really weak male voices then I would do whatever I had to do to keep the show strong.

I'll be directing the show next year and I'm already looking to recruit some guys that are used to singing together ... just for that scene.


Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:57 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:03 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Usually at school...
Post 
This is funny. This is the scene I nearly got in trouble for, and we actually used two pastors, the head of the religion department and myself (I can sing a mean 1st tenor) to make it work. (My school does adult stunt casting when it's a part that wouldn't require constant rehearsal)

It is NOT easy music, but when done well, it's really kind of neat. Maybe even recruit a local barbershop quartet. That would be fun :-)

_________________
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Image


Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:08 pm
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm
Posts: 13
Post 
Robinflamingo wrote:
This is funny. This is the scene I nearly got in trouble for, and we actually used two pastors, the head of the religion department and myself (I can sing a mean 1st tenor) to make it work. (My school does adult stunt casting when it's a part that wouldn't require constant rehearsal)

It is NOT easy music, but when done well, it's really kind of neat. Maybe even recruit a local barbershop quartet. That would be fun :-)


Exactly what I mean. I have well over 30 years singing barbershop. When I directed Forever Plaid I hand picked my guys and it was wonderful. I have a few that I'm going to look up next year for this role. They only have to make a few rehearsals till we get close to dress.

We're actually thinking about something similar for the shriners ballet. If we don't get enough older males to audition (usually a problem) then we're going to recruit a few of the dads that I KNOW we can get. That scene can be rehearsed on its own as well.

Sometimes in community theatre it's the only way to fill some crucial roles and still not require them to be there every night.


Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:58 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:03 pm
Posts: 378
Location: Usually at school...
Post 
Sparky wrote:
Robinflamingo wrote:
This is funny. This is the scene I nearly got in trouble for, and we actually used two pastors, the head of the religion department and myself (I can sing a mean 1st tenor) to make it work. (My school does adult stunt casting when it's a part that wouldn't require constant rehearsal)

It is NOT easy music, but when done well, it's really kind of neat. Maybe even recruit a local barbershop quartet. That would be fun :-)


Exactly what I mean. I have well over 30 years singing barbershop. When I directed Forever Plaid I hand picked my guys and it was wonderful. I have a few that I'm going to look up next year for this role. They only have to make a few rehearsals till we get close to dress.

We're actually thinking about something similar for the shriners ballet. If we don't get enough older males to audition (usually a problem) then we're going to recruit a few of the dads that I KNOW we can get. That scene can be rehearsed on its own as well.

Sometimes in community theatre it's the only way to fill some crucial roles and still not require them to be there every night.


We used 8 football players for the Shriners. It was hysterical! They just THREW our Rosie around. The audience loved it.

_________________
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Image


Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:57 pm
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm
Posts: 13
Post 
One other option that never even crossed my mind ... I found on youtube last night.

Albert did the song as a solo with no quartet. I know it's not quite as good as WITH the quartet, but in my mind it was better than throwing out the entire song.

BTW ... the kid had a pretty good voice.

I'll definitely keep that as an option next year if I can't find the harmony parts needed.


Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eastern U.S.
Post Re:
Sparky wrote:
One other option that never even crossed my mind ... I found on youtube last night.

Albert did the song as a solo with no quartet. I know it's not quite as good as WITH the quartet, but in my mind it was better than throwing out the entire song.


I just saw a production of it today where they did exactly that and it worked very well.

_________________
Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective


Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.