The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Yet another Kim audition (Song advice) 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Yet another Kim audition (Song advice)
I'm very excited because I just found out that the auditions (community theater that I have never auditioned for before) that I thought I missed for Bye Bye Birdie have been moved to January. SO, you know what that means... audition song advice!!

First of all, I'd love the role of Kim, but I'm worried I look more like an Ursula (worried because I'm more or a singer then an actor). I'm 17 , 5'3, brown hair, hazel eyes, 175 pounds. Any advice on whether I have a chance at Kim would be appreciated.

Vocally, I'm a soprano. I have a very big big operatic voice but can tone it down to a "sweet" tone if given the right song. However, to get that sweet tone I would prefer a lower range (A3 - E5) though my operatic range is much larger (F3 - F6).

So, I'm looking for a song that will specifically work in my lower range so I can produce the sweeter tone that is needed for Kim. However, I've been told that she is a soprano so I'd do whatever I need to do.

Also, I have been through the boards, so I'm looking for songs besides "I Enjoy Being a Girl" from Flower Drum Song and "I feel Pretty" from West Side Story. I'm considering those songs, but I just want a few more suggestions.

So, there you go. You have way to much information. What song should I sing? And do I even have a chance?

Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:31 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

First of all, definitely give Kim a try- what do you have to lose? Even if you get Ursula, that's a very fun part too.

I would look at "Much More" from the Fantasticks...great song, you could have some fun with it, and it has always sort of reminded me a of a Kim-esque song.

Break a leg!

Currently:
    Audition: Johanna in Sweeney Todd, Gypsy

Favourites:
    Patty Simcox- Grease
    Elsa Schraeder- The Sound of Music
    Maria- Twelfth Night

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:41 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]