The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
have any tips??--auditioning for Kim. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post have any tips??--auditioning for Kim.
This Febuary I will be auditioning for my school musical "Bye Bye Birdie." oviously. I'm a freshman at my highschool. I'm a soprano and I have brown hair and brown eyes. I want to try out for Kim. Though, I know that i don't look like her at all. I'm not sure that It should be a huge deal though considering that I played Sandy in Grease this past summer at theatre in a near by town. I just dyed my hair blondish and that was that. Do you think that me being a freshman means that I have no chance at all of getting the role of Kim?? I'm a soprano have no problems singing the songs she sings. I know that there will be older girls with probably more experience. Also, I need to pick out a song to sing at auditions. any suggestions? Thanks so much! :lol:

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:21 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Kim's supposed to be 15, so they may not necessarily want to go with an older student. As for an audition song, I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe "Much More" from The Fantasticks?

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

well it depends.. at our school freshman girls CANNOT be in the cast. way to much talent. as a freshman it would probably be a better idea to go for something smaller like teen chorus.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:42 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

As a freshman, the theatre director probably doesn't know you very well. The best thing to do to get his/her attention is to try a song that isn't commonly used as an audition song. When we had our Bye Bye Birdie rehearsals, the ones who didn't use traditional musical songs got the biggest part. Our Kim sang Peggy Lee's "You Give Me Fever", and Patsy Cline, the Beatles, Mariah Carey and even the Fray produced supporting roles. Our Albert even pulled out a guitar and accompanied himself singing The Decemberists.

So, to get yourself noticed, try something new as an audtion song. Avoid singing anything that is really popular right now (Wicked, Hairspray, Rent) as well as the "typical musicals" (Annie, Sound of Music, and, I'm sorry, Grease too).

After that, all you have to do is be confident while singing, and they'll never even know you're a freshman.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:21 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

well it depends.. at our school freshman girls CANNOT be in the cast. way to much talent. as a freshman it would probably be a better idea to go for something smaller like teen chorus.

I don't think it does any harm to aim big, even if the chances of getting Kim are slim. It depends entirely on the school. Some put seniority first, and the others go with talent. You might as well take a risk and go big.

The Past:Interviewer #1, The Interview; Wanda, Unbeatable Harold; Mrs. Pearce, MFL; Fruma Sarah, Fiddler on the Roof
The Present: UVic Theatre Major
The Future: Crack-ho?

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:12 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When I was in high school, even though there was definitely politics, a freshman could absolutely be a lead ( our Bernardo for West Side Story was a freshman, actually). I understudied for Kim 2 summers ago. Since she is supposed to be young, you might have a good chance at being considered at least. I think 'I Enjoy Being a Girl' would be a good song. Just, when picking an audition song, that the show is very very cutesy, so pick something that reflects that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]