The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Birdie Bloopers 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well, I just got cast as Rosie in a local production. At the auditions, I was reading the scene where the whole "Conrad Birdie Kisses Kim Macafee" plot is formed.

In one of the lines, I had to refer to Conrad as a "bongo-playing car thief." Instead, I called him a "car-playing bongo thief." And then I almost started laughing, thinking of Conrad, in his gold-lame glory, running away from the cops carrying a set of bongos.

Was that when you read with me? I didn't even catch that you called me a car-playing bongo thief. :P

Current: Artistic Director of Is There Life After High School?
Last: Trevor Graydon in Thoroughly Modern Millie

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
misericordiae wrote:
Well, I just got cast as Rosie in a local production. At the auditions, I was reading the scene where the whole "Conrad Birdie Kisses Kim Macafee" plot is formed.

In one of the lines, I had to refer to Conrad as a "bongo-playing car thief." Instead, I called him a "car-playing bongo thief." And then I almost started laughing, thinking of Conrad, in his gold-lame glory, running away from the cops carrying a set of bongos.

Was that when you read with me? I didn't even catch that you called me a car-playing bongo thief. :P

Actually, I think it was when I read with you, that one time you read for Albert. It was either you or Joe. But I'm thinking it was you.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:39 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I haven't actually been in Bye Bye Birdie (my school's production of it will be this Spring), however, a few years ago at my previous school they put the show on. I absolutely loved it, however, there was a rather embarrassing costume malfunction. I don't remember what scene it was, but, Mr. Macafee was singing, or something, in these horrible pajamas. They were the kind that had the little flap on the front to make certain things more 'convenient' for men. Well, during the song, the flap came -open- on the pajamas. Needless to say, the audience could not stop laughing, and the guy playing Mr. Macafee had no idea what was going on. It was great xD

Past Roles:
Stage Manager - Our Town
Penelope Toop - See How They Run
Elsa Schraeder - The Sound of Music
Girl 2 & Woman 8 - Les Miserables
Mrs. Worthington-Worthington - Me and My Girl

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Birdie Bloopers
Okay, this happened to me on dress/tech night (we only get 1 night to do everything before opening night). I played Rosie, and Albert and Rosie are fighting downstairs in the MacAfee house. I said the line "Get out of my way you . . . you. . . defrocked English Teacher!" and I ran for the door with my suitcase. I opened the door and went to run through, but didn't see the bottom of the door jam (there was a 1" x 2" x 20" piece of wood supporting the door frame). I hit the door jam with my heel and flipped myself over and landed on my back with my (fully loaded) suitcase landing on top of me. My dress wrapped around my legs, so I couldn't move. All the director could see was one foot sticking out of the door. I layed there for a minute, because I was disoriented. Then I said loudly into my mic "Rosie's down and she can't get up!" Then the stage manger turned on the backstage lights so they could extricate me from the doorway. It was very funny.
Thankfully, I wasn't the only person that got hung up on the door, so they took that set piece out. I know this may not sound as funny, but once I could move again, I was laughing my fool head off.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:30 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was playing Mr. MacAfee and I had the biggest problem with Act 1 Scene 7 where the family is arguing at breakfast.
The line that hung me up the most was: "Doris, after all Kim is only fifteen and I don't want her to ..."
I can't tell you how many times Kim aged three years. "Doris, after all, Kim is only EIGHTEEN and ..." Always a character breaking error.

Hah! Our Mr. Macaffe had a problem with that line, too. Only, the way he said it was "After all, Doris is only fifteen..." (AH! PEDOPHILE!! :lol: ) Thank God it was a rehearsal.

During our first dress rehearsal, The zipper on one of Mae Peterson's dresses broke. After, she took it to Jack, the costume guy, and he separated the shirt part of it from the skirt part of it (The dress looks like a skirt and blouse, but is one dress.) The next night, Jack still hadn't gotten it fixed, so Mae gets completely into costume, except that part, and goes out on stage wearing a pair of dark green shorts that read "M*A*S*H*" and had the logo on the butt. When Albert tells her he's going to find Rosie, and she sticks her head in the oven, Albert said, "Momma, get out of the oven and go put some pants on!" After the six or so people that were in the audience finished laughing, Mae, without missing a beat, says, "You go and kill Jack for me." Even the people backstage were laughing their pants off...no pun intended.

At the beginning of "Honestly Sincere," Conrad goes over to a girl sitting on a bench, pulls her to her feet, places her hand over his heart, then pushes her away slightly, and she faints. The teenagers are wearing school uniforms, and this girl was in a pleated jumper. When she fainted, her skirt flew straight up, like an umbrella in a strong wind. Totally flashed everyone! Again, it was a dress rehearsal (first one)

During "Lotta Livin," the girls and guys partner up and do a really cool dance. Unfortunately, there are four more teen girls than guys. I'm one of the extras, so me and another girl do a modified version of that dance on the first landing of the stairs. The other pair of girls is standing on the ramp to the train station/courthouse. When we were doing a rough run, we got to this part where we have to throw our arms up and turn, while my back was to the audience, I completely mistepped and fell! :cry:
I twisted my ankle a little bit (but can still do the show) and butt was sore for a few days. Now my partner and I are much more careful.

In the beginning scene, during English teacher, when the phone was supposed to ring, the techie accidently hit the doorbell sound. Thankfully, Rosie just said, "Oh, must be that stupid electrical problem."

We have to do the alternate E'ntract (or however you spell it) with the Teen Trio singing. During our first performance, I was talking to one of the girls, when I heard the other 2 singing. I asked if she was supposed to be on stage, and she goes "Oh, crap!" and runs on. Now, she's the first one onstage for that and the overture.

That's all I can think of, but we still have a pick-up rehearsal (We've been dark this week) and...7 more performances, so I'm sure I'll be back with more.

Previous Role:
Teen Chorus; Bye-Bye Birdie
Upcoming Auditions:
Narnia

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:05 pm
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was playing Mr. MacAffee in my school's production last fall and we had a few bloopers:

On the next to last dress rehearsal, I was changing my clothes really quickly between the Ice House scene and the train station scene and I missed my cue and I was pulling on my pants and the zipper completely tore off of the pants. So, I just kind of peeked out on stage and yelled "sorry I'm late, but I'm having a wardrobe malfunction!" My director just told me to cover up and come out and do my lines. That's what I get for buying costumes at Goodwill.

On our final dress rehearsal, the day parents come and tape, it was Act 1 Scene 7 and we were short a couple stage crew members due to a basketball game, so most of the time setting up went to thekitchen and the food and dishes that were supposed to be on the table and tv tray were in a box backstage. So, Mrs. MacAfee and Kim just pretended to clear away dishes and set the table for Conrad and I mad up some line like "If I even had breakfast to eat...blah blah blah...." and tried to cover it up, but it was obvious that something was wrong.

Also on our last dress rhearsal night, the girl playing Rosie and the guy playing Mr. Johnson were clearing the stage with the curtain closed while Conrad and Kim sang 'A Lot of Livin', but the curtain girl (she wasn't very bright) had the wrong cue and opened the curtain while they were still moving Kim's bedroom off of the stage and they just froze...then ran. It was so funny to see on tape.

Again....last rehearsal....The girl's quartet was singing during 'One Last Kiss' and they started to sing the last chord of the '...went off to war' part and one of my friends hears the girl next to her (in the quartet) sing the completely wrong note and she gives her this look that is PRICELESS. I definately put that part on pause a few times. lol

Linus Van Pelt - You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Andrew MacLaren - Brigadoon
James Cagney - Over Here!
Mayor Shinn - The Music Man Jr.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

We were dark this past week, cause most of the cast went to ACTF. We had a rehearsal on Monday. The only problem was...Mae wasn't there. When she first comes on, Albert went: "Invisible Momma! What's wrong?" Then, our director read her lines so we'd know what was going on. Believe me, hearing him read the line "You're just like your father...you'd marry anything!" was hysterical.
This wasn't major, but, after the show, Mae looks at her hand and goes, "Oh, I forgot my ring." Yeah, that was...interesting.
Oh, and last night was our $2 Tuesday, and so, instead of saying "Let's have a party!" Ursula said "Let's have an orgy!" with the g pronounced like a j. During that scene, we have to dance with our partners from the first "Lotta Livin" and since I dance with a girl, after she said that line, we looked at each other like..."Huh?" or "Gross." either way, it was with a raised eyebrow. :)

Previous Role:
Upcoming Auditions:
Narnia

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:48 pm
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: "We Promised to sing the Conrad Birdie Song 10,000
Skip2MyLiu33 wrote:
The scene in which Ursula, Deborah Sue and Margie are up all night singing the "Conrad Birdie" song takes place in front of the curtain, while the stage crew sets up the set for the Macafee residence. After that set of the girls' lines, Mrs. Merkle is supposed to come out and drag all three of the girls back home, while the curtain comes up, revealing the Macafee home.
HOwever, during our dress rehearsal, the curtain came up a minute late, so, well...this is what happened.
Mrs. Merkle: Ursula, we have to go home now. It's late.
Ursula: No, Mom. I want to sing my song.
Mrs. Merkle: No, Ursula. YOu are coming home. NOW.
Ursula: No! I am singing my song!
Margie: Yeah, Mrs. Merkle! Just leave us alone!
Deborah Sue: WE HATE YOU, MRS. MERKLE!!!!
Mrs. Merkle: It's too late, Ursula! We're going home.
Ursula: LEMME SING MY SONG!!!!

...and then the curtain came up. #-o

I don't know why, but that was the funniest thing I read on here. "WE HATE YOU MRS.MERKLE! Just leave us alone!" lol I can't stop laughing!

All of these are halarious though!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:11 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

haha. Yeah, that scene was wierd with us, though. Our teen trio was comprised of Ursula, Nancy, and Margie. But, since Deborah Sue had that line "We've been here all night," Deborah Sue had to be in the scene. It just messed things up, because Nancy didn't say anything and, even though the program said it was the teen trio in the scene, which ended up becoming the teen quartet.
You can't believe everything our program said, though. We did the show in February. The program gave the dates as January. #-o There was another program blunder, but I can't remember it now.
Also, the newspaper for the college we performed at totally screwed up the names of the couple that played Albert and Rose. They're married in real life, but the paper said that their names were "Peter and Jane Alvaraz." Their real names are Tom and Jennifer and their last name definitely isn't Alvaraz. It really irked me.

Previous Role:
Upcoming Auditions:
Narnia

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Mamie Parris
Main Role: Performer
Two minor things... 1 hilarious, one scary...

During the first run-through with costumes, in the breakfast scene... understand, we were on a limited budget, and Conrad's robe was white instead of animal print... he came out wearng just that and his undies. It was quite hilarious. The girl playing Ursula said in sort of a whisper, 'Is he naked?'. We had quite a laugh, and the guy playing Conrad had no idea he'd done anything wrong.

Later, during the actual performances, when we were improving while looking at Conrad sit at the table, she would often whisper, in-character, "Oh my god. He's nearly naked...' or something like that.

The scary thing happened the first night during the dance for The Telephone Hour. I was one of the 'boys', which had been changed due to lack of them, and we were dancing on a small podium-like thing in front of the stage. We had to sort of side-ways turn while still singing and manage to squeeze through the 'girls' for the end of the song. Well, one of my flat-bottomed blue ladie's shoes got stuck for a second on the front of the stage. I nearly fell. It was scary. I still don't know if anyone noticed. No one said anything.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:29 pm
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ooh. That is scary. Well, our shows all over, hallelujah! (or however you spell it.) I'm about to change my banner to a picture from "Birdie"

Previous Role:
Upcoming Auditions:
Narnia

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:48 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

During our Saturday night production, Rosie was making an exit and she banged into one of the set pieces that was hanging and it went swaying back and forth, sending the audience into an uproar. During our Friday night show, during "The Telephone Hour", the girl playing Helen came in too early with her "Hi Nancy" line, causing the orchestra to be completely messed up. Also that same night, they put the spotlight on way too soon for the scene leading up to "Honestly Sincere." We also badly rushed "A Lot of Livin' To Do." There's tons more, I will report them when I think of them.

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next