The Resource For Musicals

Bye Bye Birdie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Birdie Bloopers 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Conrad was holding Ursula during Icebox Living as the other girls swarmed him. He dropped her, and the other girls shoved him on the ground.
Albert dropped the ring.
Conrad fell in his high heels as he was trying to escape in the end of the musical.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:29 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So in the scene where Gloria Rasputin has her little appearance, she gives her gum to Rosie ("Hold this for me, honey") and then after the dance, she's supposed to get it back and put it in her mouth again, right? So... our Gloria takes the gum from Rosie, DROPS IT, then picks it up and PUTS IT IN HER MOUTH! Everyone was like, Ewww... and as soon as she got offstage, she almost threw up... :wink: But it was AMAZING. =D> =D> =D>

Sun May 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Broadway Revival Blooper
So here's a very high profile Bye Bye Birdie blooper:

Adam K. Raymond at NY Magazine wrote:
News hot off the Twitter. Apparently Bye Bye Birdie experienced some technical difficulties tonight, but John Stamos wouldn't let that ruin his show. Instead, he invited audience members Bob Saget and Don Rickles onstage for some old-fashioned improv. Somewhere, Dave Coulier feels lonely.

This was at the final preview, and another NY Magazine blog about it reveals more about what went down:

Michael Alan Connelly wrote:
About 30 minutes into the first act, with four musical numbers down, one of the moving panels at the rear of the set became audibly and visibly unhinged. From where we were sitting, it was pretty clear that someone (an actor? a stagehand?) had to hold the panel up to prevent it from collapsing. When the moving set failed to change after the start of the next scene, leading man John Stamos came out to rescue some chorus girls, ad-libbing, “Girls, I’ll be out to cheer you up as soon as we fix this mess,” to much laughter and applause from the audience.

The curtain then fell and the house lights came up, but a moment later Stamos reappeared. “I was just ready to sing ‘Happy Face’ and everything went to shit,” he cracked, reminding the audience that the show was about to open. But he ran out of material pretty quickly, and had to turn to some notable audience members for help. Seated in the row behind us was 83-year-old comedy legend Don Rickles.

“Don, save me baby,” Stamos called out. “I need you, baby.” “Get a haircut, John!” Rickles called back from his seat, later asking, “Are they gonna fix it or is this going to be a weekend?”

Stamos also turned to his Full House co-star Bob Saget for assistance, calling him onto the stage for an impromptu comedy session. Since there was only one microphone, Stamos instructed Saget to talk “into my head.” “Like that’s the first time that’s happened,” Saget shot back. “I’m really glad your crotch is not miked.”

The laughs, such as they were, kept coming. After a few minutes, Birdie co-star Gina Gershon appeared in front of the curtain with a poster of Stamos from his teen idol days. Saget: “Gina, do something from Showgirls!” She briefly feathered her hands in front of her face — then encouraged the actors to keep going because the set was still broken.

The crowd was getting restless. “Uncle Jesse!” some cried out. Others raised their hands. “I’m not taking questions,” Stamos smirked.

Gershon reappeared, and asked Saget what it was like to work on Full House with Stamos. “It was really special — kind of like Brokeback Mountain, but a sitcom,” he replied.

“Don?” Stamos called out again, looking defeated. “I’m too old for this!” Rickles cried back.

“This is a Twitter moment,” Saget quipped. “It’s a career-ending moment,” Stamos replied. After roughly twenty minutes, the show went on. (There were no further incidents, though the intermission stretched to a full half-hour.)

Later, Stamos did indeed tweet about the incident: “CRAZY NIGHT IN THE THEATRE TONIGHT. set broke- had to entertain the troops-thank god for @bobsaget and don rickles.” And on his account earlier today, Saget wrote: “@JohnStamos Break a leg opening night of BBB. What time do you want me to cause the malfunction tonight?”

Now that's what you call a blooper! Best part for me: I know exactly what move Gershon did from Showgirls. :D

Later days
David

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I played Conrad in Putnam City North High School's 2009 production.

This isnt EXACTLY a goof. More like a strange case of stage fright.

But on the scene when when Conrad comes down for breakfast and the girls are all watching him. I come down the stairs in nothing but my bright gold boots (IT was a running gag in our show that Conrad wouldnt ever want to take off his boots) and a Leopard print robe. Anyways, I come down the stairs, pop a bottle of (root)beer open and down a few gulps, burp, and hand it to Mrs. Mac with the line "Call me for lunch"

EVERY rehearsal, I would chug a soda before I come down the stairs and the burp would be the loudest, most tremendous thing anyone has ever heard (its sort of a talent of mine). EVen during one of our tech rehearsals in made the mic feedback.......but the nights of both shows....I could not for the life of me burp on stage. it came out as this gross throaty gurgling sound both times. haha

I've never had any sort of stage-fright, it was just a freak accident.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We did BBB my senior year of high school and I was Albert. I had the classic goof happen to me:

After Ma Peterson showed up Penn Station and chased Rose off, I sat her down to tell her that I was giving up Almaelou. I felt my shoe come untied. I sat her down then kneeled to tie it back up. As I kneeled, I heard what sounded kind of like an extremely fast, loud zipper. I couldn't quite tell what had gone wrong, but I knew I'd tore my pants. I snuck a peek downward and was horrified to realize that I had managed to rip a crescent moon shaped tear into them that was far too large and far too easily noticeable.

Thankfully, I was wearing a fedora. I slipped it off of my head and pretended that I was being nervous by holding it near my crotch.

It didn't move from that location for about ten minutes, including while I was singing "Healthy Normal American Boy." I got lucky and my director didn't even notice.

Thank goodness for the hat!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:17 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Musician
-(This wasn't a blooper but it's an improv) When Conrad gets punched in one last kiss when Mrs. Peterson comes instead of knocking him out again he (yes its a he) kisses conrad (man did we get a good review in the paper!!! :D) Then before Conrad starts singing a lot of livin mrs peterson asks if he's looking for a more mature woman and Conrad goes (while still trying to wipe off lipstick "Again? that was a one time thing....I don't wanna be that tense."

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6