The Resource For Musicals

Mary Poppins Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Sliding up the Stairs 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Sliding up the Stairs
wicked_boy wrote:
how does Mary first appear at the Bank's house?

She comes up through a trapdoor, I think... I'm pretty sure it's the same one used during "Brimstone and Treacle-Part 2" with Miss Andrew inside the giant birdcage.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:36 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Unless it goes wrong, in which case she walks on from the wings. Which doesn't show TOO badly, but it's not as good.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

That explains a lot. I saw it in a theatre where the technical stuff couldn't be done to have her slide up the banister. She made the same body movements as if she were gliding up, but then just ran up the stairs. It looked pretty ridiculous. Now it makes sense!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:38 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

She lands on a platform, is pulled into the bridge, unclipped, then pelts it back down the the stage to make it on in time for her bow. Sometimes you can see that she's reined herself in just before hitting the wings, so she looks a bit more like she's been standing there waiting, and not only just made it back in time.

SO funny. I watched her after she landed and watched her BOOK IT to the stage to be in time for bows. It was hilarious.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

BroadwayNerd wrote:
wicked_boy wrote:
how does Mary first appear at the Bank's house?

She comes up through a trapdoor, I think... I'm pretty sure it's the same one used during "Brimstone and Treacle-Part 2" with Miss Andrew inside the giant birdcage.

In the Copenhagen production (non-replica) she comes riding in on a glittering cloud. Very pretty.

This is later in the musical, but same cloud:
http://www.detnyteater.dk/fileadmin/use ... _9_RGB.jpg

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
wicked_boy wrote:
Does anyone know how Mary slides up the stairs? And how does Mary first appear at the Bank's house?

This board seems to be running really slow, considering Mary Poppins is a quite a good show.

I LOVE that effect, its my fave next to the ceiling one in the movie!

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
Main Role: Performer
Quote:
She lands on a platform, is pulled into the bridge, unclipped, then pelts it back down the the stage to make it on in time for her bow. Sometimes you can see that she's reined herself in just before hitting the wings, so she looks a bit more like she's been standing there waiting, and not only just made it back in time.

SO funny. I watched her after she landed and watched her BOOK IT to the stage to be in time for bows. It was hilarious.

I saw a preview of it a few years ago, and she looked really nervous during that part. She was still in character and smiling, but you could still tell that she wasn't used to flying over the audience yet.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Emmyv05 wrote:
Quote:

I saw a preview of it a few years ago, and she looked really nervous during that part. She was still in character and smiling, but you could still tell that she wasn't used to flying over the audience yet.

I don't know whether to laugh or to feel sorry for her. Mixed emotions... :) :( :lol: :( :o :) :o :( :)

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
Main Role: Performer
disneyprincess wrote:
Emmyv05 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know whether to laugh or to feel sorry for her. Mixed emotions... :) :( :lol: :( :o :) :o :( :)

It was one of the first previews though, so she probably hadn't been flying for very long before that, so it was understandable.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2