The Resource For Musicals

Mary Poppins Forum

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Why was this Forum added.. 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

cause you dont meet the uncle in the book instead you meet another character mrs andrews

sorry to revive an old thread, but I've read all the MP books, and you definitely do meet the uncle, and it is a very similar scene to that depicted in the movie. I'm....just saying.

Now: The Demon with a Changeable Face--Ama and the White Crane
Soon: Featured Ensemble--HSM2, Babes in Hollywood: The Music of Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:40 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yes, the uncle 'on the ceiling' is met in the books.

However, one of the aims of the stage production was to give Mary Poppins a darker edge, and I personally believe that a "tea party on the ceiling", and a "camp-as-you-like jolly holiday in the park wearing a pink suit" is a bit too much, therefore one had to give.

Temper, Temper, sets the tone needed for the new musical .

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:41 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I think Camelot deserves a forum before any more new ones are added, personally...one for Follies, but Camelot first.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:58 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think Camelot deserves a forum before any more new ones are added, personally...one for Follies, but Camelot first.

Follies first. Camelot is an OK show. Sorry Salome but it's true. Follies is the greatest musical ever written.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:51 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Comparisons and Cut Songs
Salome wrote:
The stage version of Mary Poppins cuts the 4 best songs in the film.... (and) added new ones not even written by the Sherman Brothers.

London_Mungojerrie wrote:
What are these 4 "fantastic" songs that aren't in the stage show? Stiles and Drew did a better job with the new songs than the Sherman Brothers could have ever done.

Salome wrote:
The Life I Lead / Sister Suffragette / I Love To Laugh / The Bank Song. Stiles and Drew can't even lick the Sherman's feet.

I like the counterpoint in "Jolly Holiday" and the new lyrics for "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". I think the greatest loss in terms of the material that was cut is "The Life I Lead" and I think it's a bit of a cheat to use the reprise in "A Man Has Dreams" without establishing the original musical motif as is done in the film.

nickhutson wrote:
The previously mentioned songs were removed because they're nothing to do with the original Mary Poppins story. Suffragettes was a 1930s feminist movement, and the original stories are set in the very early 1900's...

I believe the reverse is true. Someone has already mentioned the fact that the Suffragette movement was in motion by the turn of the century (19th into 20th). But the books were set in the 1930's and the transposition of the narrative into Edwardian period was done by Disney.

As for having nothing to do with the "Mary Poppins" story - well, the "rehabilitation" of the parents, which features in both the film and the stage show, was never really a feature of the books. The books basically consist of a series of episodic adventures. They are more like a series of short stories than a grand narrative. Disney decided to sew the patches of the story together with the story of Mr Banks (and Mrs Banks, to a lesser extent) learning to prioritise their family above their worldy cares. Neither adaptation draws this aspect of the story from the books, but it is what holds the film/show together. And the stage show simply doesn't crack this aspect of the narrative musically.

bean_C4U wrote:
However, one of the aims of the stage production was to give Mary Poppins a darker edge....

And as I have also said before - I have yet to be convinced that making something "darker" automatically makes it better.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Jeez, if you don't like the board. Don't come here. Simple as. Infact, you've put me off coming here. Well done!

Oliver Production in July.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:05 am

Jeez, if you don't like the board. Don't come here. Simple as. Infact, you've put me off coming here. Well done!

wtf

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Comparisons and Cut Songs
RainbowJude wrote:
I like the new lyrics for "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

What do you think of the Supercali... choreography? From what I've seen on Youtube, it reminds me of Mary Poppins doing YMCA.

RainbowJude wrote:
I think the greatest loss in terms of the material that was cut is "The Life I Lead" and I think it's a bit of a cheat to use the reprise in "A Man Has Dreams" without establishing the original musical motif as is done in the film.

The weirdest about this is that the replacement song does and sounds exactly like the original song. Why did they bother to cut it all, when they were going to replace it with a copy song anyway?

What do you think of Mrs Banks' new song? To me it sounds like it belongs to a different show. I also think Practically Perfect and Anything Can Happen spell out things that doesn't need to be spelled out. I think they are the best additions to the score, though, as they are the two numbers that most convincingly blend in with the original score.

One thing more, is that from the pictures I have seen, the production looks tastelessly glaring and gaudy. Is this because the gaudiness doesn't come through from a stage?

Btw, does anyone know why the Sherman bros were not composing the extra material?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:21 am

I know this is way old, but be HAPPY Salome. Don't get angry ot whatever because they added a new board you don't like. Just don't come on it, that's what I do, I've never even looked on some of the boards here.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:07 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sarahx wrote:

wtf

What?

Oliver Production in July.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:13 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

can we please cut out the negative attitudes

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:23 am
Profile WWW

musikal_geek wrote:
Sarahx wrote:

wtf

What?

WTF = What the F*ck?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next