The Resource For Musicals

Mary Poppins Forum

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Why was this Forum added.. 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Robert B. Sherman is in his 80s now and Richard M. Sherman is getting there, but they're alive and well. The were inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame last year.

Back towards the main topic, I found it particularly bad that they cut "The Life I Lead" and "Sister Suffragette". Their replacements aren't that good.

And I really do wonder why this gets a forum, when several classics by Lerner & Loewe and Gilbert & Sullivan don't have their own forums.

Past Roles:
Gaston in Beauty and the Beast
Marco in Gianni Schicchi
Charles in My Fair Lady

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:54 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Camelot had a forum and it was stupidly removed. ugh!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Cameron Mackintosh wanted a British team to work on this very British musical. The only American people involved in it are Disney and Bill Brohn (the orchestrator). Everyone else is British...the writers, co-creator (Cameron M), Set designer, choreographer, directors....so - it was inevitable that the writers of the new songs would be British.

The previously songs mentioned were removed because they're nothing to do with the original Mary Poppins story (Suffragettes was a 1930s feminist movement, and the original stories are set in the very early 1900's) - for which the stage show is more geared toward.

"The Life I lead" is actually quoted in the show, but later on - the same reprise which appears in the movie actually appears in the stage show.

I think this forum topic is here because it's now playing in Broadway and The West End (as is Avenue Q), but it appears these forums are geared toward family friendly musicals - and Ave Q is not a family friendly musical. It's a great musical, though! I love it!

www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Why was this Forum added..
Salome wrote:
..and not one for Ave Q or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? the two above mentioned hsaows are surefire hits and artistic successes. yet we have a forum for a slaugterd version of the disney film, plus forums for less than great shows like Wicked.

Not to mention Tarzan and Spamalot having forums.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Cameron Mackintosh wanted a British team to work on this very British musical. The only American people involved in it are Disney and Bill Brohn (the orchestrator). Everyone else is British...the writers, co-creator (Cameron M), Set designer, choreographer, directors....so - it was inevitable that the writers of the new songs would be British.

The previously songs mentioned were removed because they're nothing to do with the original Mary Poppins story (Suffragettes was a 1930s feminist movement, and the original stories are set in the very early 1900's) - for which the stage show is more geared toward.

"The Life I lead" is actually quoted in the show, but later on - the same reprise which appears in the movie actually appears in the stage show.

I think this forum topic is here because it's now playing in Broadway and The West End (as is Avenue Q), but it appears these forums are geared toward family friendly musicals - and Ave Q is not a family friendly musical. It's a great musical, though! I love it!

Thank you. ^_^ I agree wholeheartedly.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:02 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I was very disapointed when I first heard that "Sister Suffragette" (not Surregette, Salome) was cut from the show. That had to be one of my favorite songs from the movie when I was little. Not to mention that it gave the mother an actual charecter. And now that I hear that "The Life I Lead" has been cut as well I feel even more dispointment. I just don't understand why some one would screw with something that was near perfect to bring it to the stage. Did they really think that they could make it better? Oof...

And to reply to the original question: I agree with whomever said that it's more up to the show's popularity as to whether it gets as forum or not. But do I think that Avenue Q should getr one. Yes I do.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:18 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
Salome wrote:
..and not one for Ave Q or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?? the two above mentioned hsaows are surefire hits and artistic successes. yet we have a forum for a slaugterd version of the disney film, plus forums for less than great shows like Wicked.

nothing wrong with Spamalot having a forum. its a big tony winning hit.
and people talk about the show often.

but putting shows on here before they are tested doesnt make sense. remember Lestat? LOL

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Salome wrote:
Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
Salome wrote:

nothing wrong with Spamalot having a forum. its a big tony winning hit.
and people talk about the show often.

but putting shows on here before they are tested doesnt make sense. remember Lestat? LOL

Mary Poppins HAS been tested! It has been running on the West End for 2 years, and is still considered a "Sold Out" show. It is very very popular, and an amazing show.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:10 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

(Suffragettes was a 1930s feminist movement, and the original stories are set in the very early 1900's) - for which the stage show is more geared toward.

The suffragette movement was actually started in 1897 but didn't really get going until about 1903. They were working towards votes for women until at least 1928 when they finally got limited rights.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:28 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

London_Mungojerrie wrote:
Salome wrote:
No, I'm serious. alot better shows still dont have forums. and the stage version of Mary Poppins cuts the 4 best songs in the film. not to mention added new ones not even written by the Sherman Brothers.

Have you seen Mary Poppins live in London?

What were these 4 "fantastic" songs that arn't in the stage show anyway?

And Stiles and Drew did a better job with the new songs than the Sherman Brothers could have ever done ;)

Life I Lead

Sister Surragate

I Love To Laugh

The Bank Song

stiles and drew cant even lick the Sherman's feet. lol

this is because the mary poppins stage version isnt entilly based on the film its actually based on the novel it actually mentions it in the mary poppins programe if you read it thats why it doesnt have i love to laugh cause you dont meet the uncle in the book instead you meet another character mrs andrews the replacement and in the film shes not in it or does mary poppins leave hmm.. see it now so thats why these songs werent in the stage show. :o

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

This show has its own forum because everybody likes different things ..... what a boring world it would be if we all liked the same thing :lol:

Nancy - Oliver
suki - Witches of Eastwick :lol:[/b][/color]

Current
Estelle - The Full Monty

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:01 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

As much as I love Mary Poppins, I can't help agreeing that Avenue Q should have its own forum!

Preparing for auditions for Lady in the Dark
Awaiting cast list for Nobodys Home

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next